The 2005 season of the River Concert Series begins tomorrow and runs each Friday through the end of July. All concerts begin at 7 p.m. on the Townhouse Green, overlooking the St. Mary's River, on the campus of St. Mary's College of Maryland. For further details, visit the Web site www.riverconcertseries.com or call 240-895-3038.
* Tomorrow: A Natural Experience. Performances will celebrate the St. Mary's River and Historic St. Mary's City's Maritime Weekend. This concert features Beethoven's Symphony No. 6, "The Pastoral," Judith Shatin's "Singing the Blue Ridge" and Ottorino Respighi's "Pines of Rome." Guest artists for the evening are mezzo-soprano Angela Horn and baritone Tom Barrett.
* June 24: The Power and the Glory. The Summer Solstice is the theme for this evening, with such works as "Roman Carnival" Overture by Berlioz; Symphony No. 4, "The Romantic," by Bruckner; and Piano Concerto No. 5, "The Emperor," by Beethoven. Pianist Brian Ganz is featured during the performance of Beethoven's piece.
* July 1: American Wits: The Music of Leroy Anderson and Morton Gould. The music of Anderson and Gould highlights a festive evening that will conclude with a fireworks display. A crowd favorite, Gould's "Hosedown," will feature accompaniment by the Ridge fire department. Other artists include trumpeters Jeffrey Silberschlag and Robert Birch and physical comedians Tim Marrone and Mark Lohr.
* July 8: American Songbook II. Guest conductor Larry Vote leads singers in works by Bernstein, Gershwin, Kern and Sondheim.
* July 15: The Young and the Gifted. Among the works scheduled are Shostakovich's Symphony No. 9; Ravel's "Sheherazade," with soprano Olivia Vote; and Debussy's "Danse Sacre et Danse Profane," featuring former royal harpist Catrin Finch.
* July 22: St. Mary's County -- We Are the World. The music of Herbie Mann is showcased and features flutists Giuseppe Nova and Yoshimi Oshima. An appearance by the Dalian Art College Traditional Chinese Instrument Orchestra is also scheduled. This concert marks the U.S. appearance of the Italy&USA Alba Music Festival.
* July 29: If You Knew Vonda. The year's final concert concludes with Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra and a performance by Vonda Shepard. Singer-songwriter Shepard often performed in the television series "Ally McBeal."