Looking for volunteer opportunities? The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, for a week or on a regular basis.

Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring seeks volunteers to work in the women's and children's waiting area. Volunteers will serve as liaisons between patients and the labor and delivery unit, maternity suites, OB-GYN clinic and neonatal intensive care unit. Duties include greeting patients and visitors, answering telephones, issuing pagers to patients and family members, and directing people to different areas of the hospital. Hours are flexible, and training is provided. Volunteers are asked to work at least one four-hour shift per week. Bilingual skills are helpful. Call 301-754-7305.

The Jewish Social Service Agency of Metropolitan Washington seeks volunteers to work in its consignment and resale shop, the Bombe Chest, at 2629 Connecticut Ave. NW, near the Woodley Park Metro station. Proceeds from the store subsidize services for families in need. Those with an interest in antiques are encouraged to apply. For information, call Andrea Steinkritz at 301-816-2650.

The Jewish Social Service Agency's Newcomer Resettlement Program needs volunteers to teach English to Jewish refugees from the former Soviet Union and Iran. Training and materials are provided. For information, call Nina Sznurman at 301-770-5120.

Boards and Commissions

Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D) is seeking applicants for the following vacancies. Letters of interest and brief resumes (including work and home telephone numbers) should be mailed to Duncan at 101 Monroe St., Rockville, Md. 20850, or sent by e-mail to douglas.duncan@montgomerycountymd.gov. The deadline is 5 p.m. June 24. For more information, call 240-777-2528.

The Adult Public Guardianship Review Board has five vacancies. The board needs a professional from a social service organization, a professional in the field of disabilities, a physician, a person with a disability and an at-large representative. Members serve three-year terms without compensation.

The Recreation Advisory Board has eight vacancies. The Up-County, Mid-County and Western regional recreation advisory boards each have four vacancies; Silver Spring and East County have five each. Members serve three-year terms without compensation. For information, call 240-777-2528.

The Workforce Investment Board has 10 vacancies. The board needs eight business representatives, a representative from a community-based organization and a representative from a labor organization. Two of the business vacancies are for partial terms. Members serve three-year terms without compensation. For information, call Eric Seleznow at 240-777-2047.

The Community Development Advisory Committee has six vacancies. Members focus on funding requests in support of public services. Members serve three-year terms without compensation. The criteria for appointment includes familiarity with the problems of low-income neighborhoods or populations with special needs.

The Bethesda Urban Partnership Board has two vacancies, one for a resident of the Urban District and one for a resident of the Bethesda planning area. Members serve three-year terms without compensation. To determine if you live in the Urban District, call Dave Dabney at 301-215-6660; for the Bethesda planning area, call Deborah Snead at 230-777-8206.

The Advisory Committee on Consumer Affairs has two vacancies for at-large members and one vacancy for a person from the Better Business Bureau or another countywide association of merchants. Members serve three-year terms without compensation.

The Victim Services Advisory Board has four partial-term vacancies. One vacancy is reserved for a health, legal, medical, dental or nursing professional, two are for at-large representatives and one is for a member of the clergy. Members serve three-year terms without compensation.

The Commission on Landlord-Tenant Affairs has vacancies for three at-large, two landlord and three tenant representatives. Members serve three-year terms without compensation but can be reimbursed for travel and dependent care expenses. In addition, members serve on panels that hear landlord-tenant disputes. Members must file an annual, confidential financial disclosure statement.

To Submit an Item

E-mail: mocoextra@washpost.com

Fax: 301-279-5665

Mail: Volunteers, Montgomery Extra, The Washington Post, 51 Monroe St., Suite 500, Rockville, Md. 20850

Details: Items are published on a space-available basis.