SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
SWING AND BALLROOM DANCE -- 7-8 p.m. Saturday, lessons; 8-11 p.m., dancing. Bring a snack to share; soda and water provided. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus of Holy Face Church. Little Flower School Gymnasium, 20410 Point Lookout Rd., Great Mills. $8 a person; $15 a couple; students and seniors, $5. 301-862-0133 or email@example.com.
ADULT DANCE -- 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Saturday. Country music by DJ Mean Gene. Knights of Columbus Hall, Routes 5 and 235, Ridge. $8; BYOB.
MODERN DANCE MASTER CLASS -- 12:30 p.m. June 26. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective for ages 13 and older. Taught by choreographer Alvin Mayes. Sponsored in part by the St. Mary's County Arts Council. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. $20 a class. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
COURTYARD CONCERTS -- Noon tomorrow. Presented by the Arts Council of Calvert County, featuring Project Natale, an area jazz trio that performs modern and traditional jazz. Prince Frederick Shopping Center. Route 4 north, Prince Frederick. Free. 410-257-7005 or www.CalvertArts.org.
TUESDAY TUNES -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. Calvert Library presents Jim Tozier on Celtic guitar. Calvert Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
LOOSE CHANGE -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Local band plays country and rock-and-roll. Performance, on the west lawn of the new La Plata Town Hall, is part of a summer concert series. Plenty of parking; refreshments available. Bring a lawn chair or blanket; no pets or alcohol. Free. 301-934-8421.
ADULT COMPUTER CLASS -- 5 p.m. today. New computer users will be introduced to e-mail and setting up accounts to send and receive messages. Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Registration required. 301-863-8188.
START OF SUMMER READING EVENING STORY TIME -- Sponsored by Calvert Library.
* 6:30 p.m. today. Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 7 p.m. today. Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
CALVERT CONVERSATIONS -- 10 a.m. today. A get-together to discuss happenings in the county. Coffee provided, but bring your own mug. Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-326-5289.
GENTLY-USED-BOOK SALE -- Noon-8 p.m. today. Friends of the Library presents a "preview" of books that will be on sale noon-5 p.m. tomorrow and noon-3 p.m. Saturday. Calvert Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
USED-BOOK STORE -- 9 a.m.-4 :30 p.m. Every Saturday. Operated by the Citizens for the Charles County Public Library Inc. La Plata library, lower level, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
BOOK DISCUSSIONS -- Join area book groups. Free. Various locations.
* 7 p.m. Monday. Discuss "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf and "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 7 p.m. Tuesday, students in grades 4 through 6, with parents, discuss "Ruby Holler," by Sharon Creech. First 15 families to register receive a free copy of the book, courtesy of the Calvert Literacy Council. Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-2411. Also at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Calvert Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862. And at 7 p.m. next Thursday at Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
ART AND STORY SESSION -- 10-11:30 a.m. or 1-2:30 p.m. today. Children 4-6 will read a story about an artist or an art element or style, then create a matted piece of art. Parents must remain on site. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. $5 a child. Payment and registration due before class. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
GOOD OLD DAYS TODAY -- 10-11:45 a.m. today. Children 3-6 learn about the early days of railroading and the Chesapeake Beach resort of the early 20th century. Includes games, songs, crafts, refreshments and stories. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892, www.cbrm.org or email@example.com.
* 10-11:45 p.m. next Thursday. Same program, except for ages 6-9.
DINO-ROCK MUSICAL PUPPET THEATER -- 10 a.m. Saturday. Sponsored by the Charles County Arts Alliance. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. Free. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
SIGN ME A STORY -- 1 p.m. Monday. A story using and teaching sign language. P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. Free. 301-645-2864.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIME -- Begins Tuesday at various locations. Free. No reservations required.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata Library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
BARNS OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Patricia Hope Windrow, a realist oil painter, exhibits her works on barns in the tri-county region. Morgan Stanley Gallery, 3 Post Office Rd., Waldorf. 301-392-5900 or firstname.lastname@example.org or www.charlescountyarts.org.
ALL-MEDIA JURIED EXHIBITION -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays-Sundays, through July 3. Juror will be John Krumrein, professor of art at Prince George's Community College. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free admission and parking. 301-743-5159.
ART SHOW -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through June 30. Features works by Eileen Baca, Gerry Wood, Carol Wathen and Mary Ida Rolape. ArtWorks@7th Gallery (above Nice and Fleazy Antique Store), Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
ART SHOW AND SALE -- 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Local artists showcase their works in watercolors, acrylics, oils, pastels, multimedia, photography, wood, metal, clay and jewelry. Southern Pines Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-2748.
MOSTLY ART -- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. Local artists display paintings, pottery and quilts. 15431 Potomac River Dr., Cobb Island. 301-259-0088.
RIVERSCAPE PAINTINGS -- 5-7 p.m. Saturday, show opening; 3 p.m. Sunday, artist's lecture, Sunday. An exhibit of Ross M. Merrill's Potomac River landscapes, on display through July. The Accokeek Foundation, 3400 Bryan Point Rd., Accokeek. 301-283-2113, Ext. 13, programs@Accokeek.org or www.accokeek.org.
FIRE DEPARTMENT CARNIVAL -- 7-11 p.m. today, tomorrow and Saturday, next Thursday and June 24, 25 and 27; 4-10 p.m. Sunday and June 26. Hosted by the Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department. Features rides, games, bingo, food vendors, nightly prizes and cash raffles. Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department, 28165 Hills Club Rd., Mechanicsville. 301-884-4709.
RESPONSIBLE BOATING COURSE -- 7-9 p.m. today, Tuesday, next Thursday and June 28. Covers all aspects of recreational boating. Attendance mandatory at all eight hours as part of requirements to receive the Maryland Boating Safety Education certificate for those born after July 1, 1972. Offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 15-7. West Marine, 14030 H.G. Trueman Rd., Solomons Island. $25. Registration required. 301-737-0728 or 301-862-7284.
CENTER FOR CHILDREN'S 2005 GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 7:30 a.m. tomorrow, registration; 8:30 a.m., shotgun start. Benefits the center, which is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of child abuse and the promotion of positive mental health. Hosted by Natelco Corp., Outback Steakhouse and Capital Lighting and Supply. Swan Point Yacht and Country Club, Swan Point Boulevard, Issue. $130 a golfer or $480 a foursome. Includes greens fees, cart, food and beverages on the course and a catered dinner by Outback Steakhouse. Corporate sponsorships and tee signs available. 301-609-9887 or email@example.com.
FATHER'S DAY FLOAT -- 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. A guided canoe trip leaves from Warrior's Rest and tours Parkers Creek. Strenuous activity. American Chestnut Land Trust, Scientists Cliff Road, Port Republic. Reservations required. Donations appreciated. 410-586-1570 or www.acltweb.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FATHER'S DAY ART FLING -- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. Children 7 and older, along with dads, learn how to build catapults and use them to create artworks. Outdoor event; rain date Sunday. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. Adults, $20; children, $10. Payment and registration due in advance. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
FAMILY FUN DAY -- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Nature crafts, children's activities, hikes, hayrides, magician Bob Vera and a chance to meet animals. Bring a picnic lunch or purchase food from vendors. Event benefits Jug Bay and its educational programs. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd., Lothian. Free. Reservations not required. 410-741-9330 or www.jugbay.org.
JUNETEENTH FESTIVAL OF AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURES -- Noon-5 p.m. Saturday. Performances by Roy Carrier and the Zydeco Night Rockers, Gye Nyame African Dancers, EnUnity Gospel vocals and band, CARIBE Trinidad and Tobago Masqueraders, Tolson Sisters, Total Faith (an a cappella gospel trio), LGB Congolese Band. Also, a spoken word workshop by Omekongo. Craft and food vendors, health workshops and a blood drive. Sponsored by the American Red Cross and Tau Lambda Lambda Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. Westlake High School, 3300 Middletown Rd., Waldorf. Free. 301-392-1775.
JUNETEENTH CELEBRATION -- 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Celebrate America's heritage and the end of slavery. Prizes, gospel singing, cultural dance, children's skits, games, reenactments, vendors, information booths and former Maryland poet laureate Lucille Clifton (2 p.m.). Freedom Park, Route 235 and Tulagi Place, Lexington Park. Free. www.ucaconline.org.
MARSH ECOLOGY BY CANOE -- 12:30-4:30 p.m. Saturday. Learn about wetland ecology on a canoe exploration of the Patuxent River wetlands. Experienced volunteers or staff naturalists lead canoes. Instruction provided. Ages 7 and older. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd., Lothian. $5 a person. Wetlands admission: $3; seniors and ages 7-17, $2. Reservations required. 410-741-9330 or www.jugbay.org.
CARRIAGE DRIVING DEMONSTRATION -- 2-5 p.m. Sunday. Learn about horse handling, harnessing, proper driving attire, driving through an obstacle course and dressage. Finale includes a parade of carriages to Rosedale Manor House. Benefits the development of therapeutic carriage driving. Greenwell Foundation, Greenwell State Park, 25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood. Donations accepted. 301-373-9775, email@example.com or www.greenwellfoundation.org.
WATER AEROBICS -- 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Aug. 11. Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Group classes featuring low-impact, stretching, cardiovascular and resistance exercises. Swimming abilities not required, but participants must be comfortable in the water. Lackey High School Indoor Pool, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd., Indian Head. $30 a course or $5 drop-in fee a class. 301-743-2470 or 301-753-6003.
ALZHEIMER'S MEMORY WALK PARTIES -- Tuesday and June 29. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and beverages; raffle prizes. Sign up for either or both walks; both scheduled for Oct. 1. 800-272-3900 or 301-934-5856 or memorywalkNCA@alz.org.
* 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Isaac's Restaurant, Holiday Inn Select, Solomons.
* 4:30-6 p.m. June 29, Gustavo's Restaurante Italiano, La Plata.
VETERANS BENEFIT GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, registration; 9 a.m., shotgun start. Sponsored by American Legion Post 82 and the Sons of the American Legion to benefit the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. Prizes for the first three teams; gift packages and door prizes for all. Wicomico Shores Golf Course, 35794 Aviation Yacht Club Rd., Mechanicsville. Fee of $70 a golfer includes greens fees, cart, continental breakfast, lunch and beverages on the courses, and a catered dinner. Corporate sponsorships and tee signs available. 301-645-1537.
ANTIQUES SHOW AND SALE -- 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 25; 11 a.m.-4 p.m. June 26. Sponsored by the Calvert County Literacy Council; more than 40 dealers on site. Free parking; concession stands available. St. John Vianney Family Life Center Gymnasium, Main Street, Prince Frederick. $3; ages 12 and younger, free. 414-535-3233.
DIABETES FUNDRAISING RIDE -- 8 a.m. June 25, registration; 9 a.m., motorcycles depart. Ride to fight diabetes and search for a cure. Sponsored by All American Harley Davidson. Ride begins and ends at Iron Workers Local Union No. 5, 9100 Old Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro. $25 a person. 301-884-2800.
ANNUAL PAT COLLINS MEMORIAL GOLF CLASSIC -- 7:30 a.m. June 27, registration; 8:30 a.m., shotgun start. Benefits the Arc of Southern Maryland. Twin Shields Golf Club, Route 260, Dunkirk. Call Maureen Ecker at 410-535-2413, Ext. 107, for details.
CHARLIE DANIELS BAND -- 7 p.m. July 10. Legendary Southern rock band performs in St. Leonard to benefit construction of the St. Leonard Fire and Rescue Company 7 Community Center. Concert to be held on the grounds of Company 7, Calvert Beach Road, St. Leonard. Limited seating. Premium seats, $45; others, $35. Refreshments for sale at event. 410-586-1713 or www.slvfd.com.
PAINT THE TOWN -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. July 10 and Aug. 14. Members of the ArtWorks@7th artists cooperative will be creating works in their medium at two locations in North Beach. Outside of Nice and Fleazy Antique Store, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, and on the porch at Westlawn Restaurant, Seventh Street and Chesapeake Avenue. 410-286-2928 or 410-326-9473.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
* July 30 to Philadelphia. Visit historic sites; lunch and shopping on your own. Registration and payment due by June 30. Call for departure times and locations. $53 a person. 301-934-9305 or 301-870-3388.
* Aug. 6 to Living Waters Theatre in Strasburg, Pa. Songs, dancing, live musicians and a large downtown shopping complex. Lunch on your own; dinner included. Registration deadline is July 3. $85 a person. Call for departure options. 301-934-9305 or 301-870-3388.
* Aug. 18-19 to the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse in Boiling Springs, Pa., for an overnight trip to see "Beauty and the Beast." Includes swimming and lunch aboard the Bay Lady in Baltimore. $240, single room; $210, double room. $100 deposit due Monday.
* Aug. 20, Rappahannock River cruise. Explore the history of the river on a 20-mile narrated cruise. Destination is the Ingleside Plantation Winery for a tour and tasting. Lunch included. $72 a person. Registration deadline is July 30. Call for departure options. 301-934-9305.
* Sept. 23 to Ireland. A 10-day, 14-meal trip. Blarney Stone, Dublin, Ring of Kerry castle, a medieval banquet, music and entertainment. $2,739 a person per double room; single rooms, $3,239. 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD at 800-735-22583
* Oct. 3-6 to Wildwood, Atlantic City and Cape May, N.J. Four-day, three-night package includes accommodations, a Delta Lady banjo boat cruise, Midway slots and a buffet lunch. Double room, $330 a person; single room, $385 a person. $100 deposit due Wednesday, balance due by Aug. 23. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
* Nov. 11 to California. A nine-day, 10-meal trip to the California coastline, including stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Yosemite National Park. $1,979 a person double occupancy; $2,579 singles. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151 or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. 410-586-1101.
* Aug. 3 and Oct. 8, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Spend a day in New York City sightseeing, shopping and dining. On-your-own agenda. All ages. $36 a person.
* Sept. 24, antiques shopping. Depart at 6 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 6:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Visit flea markets and antiques shops in Adamstown, Pa. Adults only. $33.50 a person.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* July 30. St. Mary's Animal Welfare League rummage sale to benefit its adoption center. Table/space, $10. Reserve a space at 301-863-2632 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking arts and crafters, exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture, entertainment and refreshments. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
-- Compiled by SUSAN BARTON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.