Aaron J. Woloshin

Environmental Geologist

Aaron J. Woloshin, 70, a geologist who specialized in environmental analyses for federal agencies and was a partner in an environmental firm, died May 26 at Washington Hospital Center of brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation during an MRI. He lived in Washington, Key West, Fla., and Fort-Moville, France.

He began his career in 1957 with the Army Corps of Engineers in Vicksburg, Miss., as a research scientist and geologist. In 1961, he moved to Washington to join the U.S. Geological Survey, where he worked on mapping projects in support of a nuclear test ban treaty.

In 1966, he worked for the Smithsonian Institution as an engineering geologist in applied hydrology. From 1967 to 1970, as an employee of Computer Sciences Corp. in Arlington, he performed worldwide environmental analyses in connection with naval operations.

Mr. Woloshin worked in Indonesia for the U.S. Agency for International Development in 1970 as chief technical adviser to that nation's geological survey. From 1970 to 1972, he was environmental director of the General Services Administration.

He worked with Dames & Moore, an environmental research firm then located in Bethesda, from 1972 to 1992. He held various positions with the company, including director of federal government marketing; managing principal of the New York office; and from 1982 to 1987, international marketing director, based in England and France.

After retiring in 1992, Mr. Woloshin invested in real estate.

He was born in New York City and graduated from the City College of New York. He received a master's degree in geology in 1960 from the University of Massachusetts.

In the 1960s, he was a volunteer usher at Arena Stage in Washington. He also enjoyed horse racing, gardening and international travel.

His marriage to Elaine Woloshin ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 30 years, Deirdre Pierce of Washington, Key West and Fort-Moville; two children from the first marriage, Audrey Woloshin-Doyle of York, Pa., and Mark Woloshin of Titusville, Fla.; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Billy M. Minter

Air Force General

Billy Martin Minter, 78, an Air Force general and fighter pilot who retired in 1984 as commander in chief of U.S. Air Forces in Europe and commander of Allied Air Forces Central Europe, died June 6 at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda. He had coronary artery disease.

Gen. Minter's final active-duty assignments were at Ramstein Air Base, Germany. He then settled in Warrenton.

Minter, who was born in Oklahoma City, served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He attended the University of Oklahoma, then joined the Air Force in 1948 as an aviation cadet. He was among the last non-college graduates to attain four-star rank. He graduated from the Air Command and Staff College and the Air War College, both at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Ala.

His earliest assignments were as a flying instructor. In the late 1960s, he completed F-105 combat crew training and flew combat missions in those planes while based in Thailand during the Vietnam War. When his career ended, he had 5,600 flying hours.

Back in the United States, logistics became his specialty, and he held such posts as inspector general for the Air Force Logistics Command; deputy chief of staff for logistics at U.S. Air Forces in Europe at Ramstein; and deputy chief of staff for logistics and engineering at Air Force headquarters in Washington.

His decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, the Meritorious Service Medal and five awards of the Air Medal.

He was a former board member of Independent Test and Analysis Corp. of McLean.

Survivors included his wife of 53 years, Marion Onorato Minter of Warrenton; five children, Mark H. Minter of Leadville, Colo., Stephen L. Minter of Tucson, Patricia Minter-Powell of Watertown, N.Y., Lisa M. Minter of Southampton, Mass., and Lori J. Minter of Williamsburg; a brother; and 11 grandchildren.

Irene Smallwood Steele

Federal Employee, Volunteer

Irene Elizabeth Smallwood Steele, 91, a federal employee and church volunteer, died after a stroke June 13 at her daughter's home in Wilmington, Del. She was a District resident and a native Washingtonian.

For 30 years, Mrs. Steele worked for the U.S. Treasury Department's Bureau of Engraving and Printing in the "dead checks" division, retiring in 1973.

She graduated from Dunbar Senior High School. She took the civil service exam and began working for the federal government.

She was a member and a volunteer at St. George's Episcopal Church, where she was active with the Dorcas Guild and was president of the Women of the Church. She assisted the Altar Guild by laundering and ironing the linens, helped the counting team on Sundays and provided clerical support in the church office. She also volunteered for "Meals on Wheels" from the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church.

When she was unable to continue her volunteer work, she welcomed neighborhood children into her home during the day to relax and talk.

Her husband, James Steele, died in 1974.

Survivors include two daughters, Jacquelyn S. Day of Wilmington, Del. and Judith S. Hutchinson of Washington; a sister; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.