Anne Marie Woodward


Anne Marie Woodward, 79, a former speechwriter for the U.S. Department of Labor and the National Science Foundation, died June 20 of complications of kidney failure and Alzheimer's disease at the Knollwood military retirement residence in Washington.

Mrs. Woodward, a longtime resident of the District, was born in Corvallis, Ore., and spent much of her childhood on Army bases across the country and abroad. She graduated from Georgetown Visitation School in 1942 and Georgetown Visitation Junior College in 1944. She received a bachelor's degree in English from Trinity College in 1946 and a master's degree in anthropology from Catholic University in 1968.

She moved to New York and worked at Time Magazine in 1947-48 as a researcher on Latin American and international affairs. She worked at the New York Herald Tribune in 1948-49, where she was an assistant to fashion editor Eugenia Sheppard.

She lived in Ohio during the 1950s, where she was director of the Fashion Career School of Greater Cleveland. In 1961, she returned to Washington and worked briefly as director of the Washington office of the John Robert Powers modeling agency.

In 1963, she became the chief writer and researcher for U.S. Secretary of Labor Willard Wirtz and special assistant to the director of public affairs at the Department of Labor. She was with the department until 1971, except for a temporary resignation during which she wrote speeches for the 1968 presidential campaign of Democratic Sen. Hubert H. Humphrey.

As the recipient of a 1968 Career Service Award from the secretary of labor, she lived in London in 1969-70, studying England's "new town" program at a time when Columbia and Reston were being developed as planned new towns in the United States.

Returning to Washington, she worked in the offices of U.S. Sen. Adlai E. Stevenson III (D-Ill.) in 1971 and U.S. Rep. Joseph M. McDade (R-Pa.) in 1972. From 1975 until her retirement in 1985, she was a speechwriter and researcher for the director and deputy director of the National Science Foundation.

In retirement, she worked as a freelance writer and speechwriter and traveled extensively. She spent a year teaching English to graduate students at Wuhan University in China. When she returned to Washington, she served as president of the Asian-American Forum. She was a lover of fine art and classical music and was a member of the National Press Club and the Woman's National Democratic Club.

Her marriages to Edward Corrigan and George Thomas ended in divorce.

Survivors include four sons from the first marriage, F. Patrick Corrigan of Washington, John Beatty Woodward Corrigan of Penacook, N.H., Blaise Corrigan of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Edward "Ned" Corrigan of Vienna; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Benjamin Chih-Fang Wei


Benjamin Chih-Fang Wei, 78, a mechanical engineer who helped design bridges, engines and nuclear power plants, died of stomach cancer June 12 at a hospital in Philadelphia.

Dr. Wei moved to Silver Spring in 1970, when he joined the forerunner of the Department of Energy to work on a nuclear breeder reactor. He was responsible for designing containers that could withstand intense pressure from nuclear reactions. He retired in 1992.

He was born in Ningbo, China, and grew up in Shanghai, where he graduated from St. John's University. He came to the United States in 1947. He received a master's degree in bridge engineering in 1948 and a doctorate in aerospace structural engineering in 1951, both from the University of Illinois.

He worked in New York from 1951 to 1959 for the bridge building company D.B. Steinman. During that time, he was the construction supervisor for the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

From 1959 to 1967, Dr. Wei worked at Curtiss-Wright Corp. in New Jersey, where he helped develop the rotary Wankel engine. He helped design parts for nuclear submarines and Titan rocket boosters while working for the solid mechanics laboratory of General Electric in Valley Forge, Pa., between 1967 and 1970.

From 1980 to 1986, Dr. Wei was associate editor of the Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology.

In retirement, he became an award-winning photographer. He and his wife also participated in round dancing, a form of ballroom dancing, and were members of several local dance clubs.

Dr. Wei was a deacon at St. Matthew Presbyterian Church in Silver Spring.

A daughter, Barbara Bell, died in 1998.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Margot C. Wei of Silver Spring; two daughters, Susan Wei Winick of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Deborah Dayton of Bryn Mawr, Pa.; one sister; two brothers; and nine grandchildren.

Joyce Pickering

Arlington County Teacher

Joyce Holt Pickering, 75, who taught in the Arlington County school system from 1970 to 1992, retiring from Thomas Jefferson Middle School, died May 30 at her home in Arlington. She had colon cancer.

Mrs. Pickering's career in Arlington began at Cherrydale Elementary School. She later taught at Glen Carlyn, Claremont and Page Traditional elementary schools. At Thomas Jefferson, where she began teaching in the late 1980s, she was in a program to mentor younger teachers.

She was born in St. Louis and raised in southern Illinois. She was a 1951 graduate of Indiana University. She was a homemaker in several states before becoming a third-grade teacher in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, in the late 1960s.

She was a former president of an instructional advisory group to Arlington schools, a local chapter of the Delta Kappa Gamma education honor society and the Potomac Woman's Club.

Her memberships included the American Association of University Women, through which she did extensive volunteer work; the Arlington Committee of 100; and the Regal Dinner and Dance Club.

At her death, she was a deacon at Church of the Covenant Presbyterian church in Arlington.

Survivors include her husband of 54 years, Ranard J. Pickering of Arlington; three children, Pamela Pickering of Langley, Wash., Nancy Pickering of Alexandria and Michael Pickering of Centreville, Va.; a sister; and two grandsons.

John Mikel Pack

Company President

John Mikel Pack, 65, president of Alert Delivery Service, died of a heart attack June 12 while running on Rock Creek Trail. He was a resident of Gaithersburg.

Mr. Pack, born in Sandy Spring, graduated from Gaithersburg High School and the old Benjamin Franklin College. He served in the Army from 1962 to 1965.

He joined his family's courier business after a brief period selling food to restaurants.

Mr. Pack was a member of the Montgomery County Road Runners Club.

His marriage to Patricia Pack ended in divorce. His second wife, Ruth Ann Pack, died in 1996.

Survivors include his wife, Valerie DeJarld of Gaithersburg; two children from the first marriage, Donna Pack of Rockville and Glenn Pack of Annapolis; three stepchildren from the second marriage, Kim Shubert of Annapolis, Brian Bower of Annapolis and Christian Bower of Mesa, Ariz.; four stepchildren from the third marriage, Thomas Benton of Gansevoort, N.Y., Christina Benton of Rockville, Kevin Riek of Huntington Beach, Calif., and Kelly Riek of Chicago; a sister, Judith Slack of Martinsburg, W.Va.; two grandsons; and two great-grandchildren.

Frances Nicholson Ohlke

Church Member

Frances Nicholson Ohlke, 77, an Alexandria native and longtime church member, died June 18 of cancer at her son's home in Great Falls. She had lived for the past 41 years in Adamstown.

Mrs. Ohlke was born in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria and graduated from George Washington High School.

She lived in Bethesda and Potomac before moving to Adamstown. She was a member of All Saints' Episcopal Church in Frederick.

Her husband of 49 years, Clarence Carl Ohlke, died in 2004.

A son, Daniel Nicholson Ohlke, died in 1989.

Survivors include two children, Carl Erdman Ohlke of Great Falls and Amanda Anne Ohlke of Washington; a brother, Richard Nicholson of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.

Ellis E. 'Bud' Meredith


Ellis E. "Bud" Meredith, 77, an association executive and businessman, died of a heart attack June 17 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Meredith was born in Mobile, Ala., and received an undergraduate degree in liberal arts from the University of Chicago in 1949 and one in political science from George Washington University in 1951.

Throughout the 1950s, he was a registered lobbyist representing the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Association of Nurserymen and the Allied Florists Association. He served as president of the American Apparel Manufacturers Association from 1960 to 1984 and as president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children from 1986 to 1989.

In the 1980s, he was president of the Greater Washington Society of Association Executives and chairman of the American Society of Association Executives, which named him Association Executive of the Year in 1983 and honored him with its Key Award in 1988. He also was a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Association Committee of 100, and the Department of Commerce's Textile Apparel Export Advisory Committee and its Management-Labor Textile Advisory Committee.

In addition to his lobbying work, Mr. Meredith owned several businesses: Allied Realty of Bethesda; Newsletters Inc.; Organization Management Inc.; and International Executive Management Inc.

Keenly interested in politics, he was finance chairman of the Maryland Republican Party in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and in 1988, he served as national co-chairman of Association Executives for Bush and as chairman of Maryland Businessmen for Bush.

He founded his neighborhood association, the Ashleigh Community League, and was an active member of St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac. He also was a member of the Metropolitan Club, the Capitol Hill Club and Bethesda Country Club.

His marriage to Katharine Graves Meredith ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 17 years, Alice Foley Meredith of Bethesda; three children from his first marriage, Shane Meredith Snowdon of Albany, Calif., Scott Meredith of Redmond, Wash., and Kent Meredith of New York; two stepchildren from his second marriage, Candace Rodal of Lovettsville, Va., and Scott Corcoran of Fairfax; and five grandchildren.

Peter Alan Korstad

Plant Business Owner

Peter Alan Korstad, 56, who owned a tropical plant business and later invested in real estate, died of cancer June 16 at George Washington University Hospital.

In the early 1970s, Mr. Korstad founded Tropica Inc., which supplied tropical plants to commercial buildings throughout the Washington area. After selling the business in the 1980s, he became an investor in residential real estate.

Mr. Korstad was born in Washington. While attending Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, he applied to St. Albans School in Washington without his parents' knowledge and was admitted. In later years, he established a scholarship for local high school students transferring to St. Albans in the ninth grade or later. He was a graduate of Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.

He played rugby and enjoyed skiing and backpacking. His other hobbies included painting and sketching.

His marriage to Joan Haegelin ended in divorce.

There are no immediate survivors.

Margaret Dudley Knight


Margaret Dudley Knight, 46, a receptionist for a Washington office support firm, died of cancer May 25 at her home in Takoma Park.

Ms. Knight moved to Washington in 1980 and was a receptionist for OSI Management Inc. from 1989 to 2001. She was a member of the Friends Meeting of Washington and served on the religious education and worship committees. She also taught First Day school, the Quaker equivalent of Sunday school.

From 2001 to 2005, she worked at the front desk and helped manage the guest house of Davis House, an office and hospitality center operated by the American Friends Service Committee.

Ms. Knight was born in Ithaca, N.Y., and was a 1980 graduate of Colgate University in Hamilton, N.Y.

She lived in Washington before moving to Takoma Park in 2002.

Survivors include her husband of two years, Gregory J. Knight of Takoma Park; her parents, William and Doris Dudley of Norwich, N.Y.; and three brothers.

Shirley Weiss Isler

Fairfax Elementary Teacher

Shirley Weiss Isler, 75, a teacher in Fairfax County elementary schools for 28 years, died June 19 of breast cancer at her son's home in Oakton. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Isler taught fourth grade at Spring Hill Elementary in McLean and third grade at Flint Hill Elementary in Vienna before retiring in 1998.

She was born in Albany, N.Y., and graduated from Russell Sage Women's College in Troy, N.Y. She received a master's degree in education in 1967 from City College of New York.

Mrs. Isler moved with her family to McLean in 1969 and began teaching that fall. In retirement, she tutored children in reading and devoted herself to her garden and caring for her grandchildren. She also began knitting blankets for children with AIDS. She was active in numerous bridge groups.

She was a member of Lewinsville Presbyterian Church in McLean.

Her marriage to Morton Lee Isler ended in divorce.

Survivors include four sons, John Lewis Isler of McLean, Richard Henry Isler of McLean, Edward Lee Isler of Oakton and James Charles Isler of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.

Harry Wayne Hook

Insurance Adjuster

Harry Wayne Hook, 85, an auto parts manager who had a second career as an insurance adjuster, died June 21 of a heart ailment at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Hook, who was born in Frederick County, Va., had lived in Alexandria since 1936. After working in the Alexandria torpedo factory in the early years of World War II, he joined the Army and participated in the Battle of the Bulge.

He worked as parts manager at American Service Center, an Arlington auto dealer, from 1946 to 1992. From 1992 until his death, Mr. Hook was an independent adjuster with GAB Robins Inc., inspecting cars transported on Amtrak for damage.

A daughter, Paula Uhler, died in 1997.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Helen Hook of Alexandria; six children, Pam Williams, Wayne Hook, Cindy Anderson, Beth Hook, Michael Hook and Chris Hook, all of Alexandria; three brothers, Edgar Hook, Tom Hook and Gene Hook, all of Alexandria; three sisters, Annabelle Collins of Alexandria, Thelma Smee of Allentown, Pa., and Helen Triplett of Winchester, Va.; 14 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Vera K. Genovese

Maritime Commission Lawyer

Vera Kamenarovic Genovese, 97, who retired in 1993 after 25 years with the Federal Maritime Commission, where she had been a lawyer in the general counsel's office, died May 25 at a convalescent hospital in Fairfield, Conn. She had a heart ailment.

Mrs. Genovese was born in what is now Trieste, Italy, and completed law studies at the University of Zagreb in what is now Croatia. During World War II, she worked in Yugoslavia for the resistance to German occupation, serving as a diarist.

She later worked for Catholic Relief Services in Italy before moving in the 1950s to New York, where she was a paralegal. She received a master's degree in international law from Georgetown University in 1967.

She was a member of the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington. A former District resident, she lived in Paris before settling in Connecticut.

Her husband, Frank Genovese, whom she married in 1959, died in 2004.

She has no immediate survivors.

Mary Eleanor Darling

Math Teacher

Mary Eleanor Darling, 87, a retired District and Montgomery County high school mathematics teacher, died after a heart attack June 14 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. She was a resident of Rockville.

Miss Darling taught mathematics for nearly 40 years, during which time she never took a day's sick leave. She taught at the District's Powell and John Philip Sousa junior high schools from 1939 until 1961. She taught for 17 years at Montgomery Blair and Springbrook high schools, retiring in 1978.

A native of Norfolk, Miss Darling moved to Washington at the end of World War I. She graduated from Eastern High School and Wilson Teacher's College, now part of the University of the District of Columbia. She received a master's degree in mathematics from Catholic University in 1945.

She was an avid golfer, gardener, seamstress and crafter. She routinely attended the theater and ballet and was a member of Smithsonian Associates. A lifelong Washington Redskins fan, she held season tickets for years. She enjoyed traveling, especially to visit her sister, who was in the Foreign Service.

Miss Darling was a member of Trinity Methodist Church and more recently, Capitol Hill United Methodist Church, where she was financial secretary and treasurer. She also did volunteer work for former Rep. Constance A. Morella (R-Md.).

Survivors include a sister, June A. Darling of Rockville.

Hugh M. Cole

Military Historian

Hugh M. Cole, 94, a historical officer on the staff of Lt. Gen. George S. Patton during World War II and a historian of the Army's wartime effort, died June 5 of peripheral vascular disease at his apartment in Alexandria.

Col. Cole was born in Pittsford, Mich., and received a bachelor's degree from Wheaton College in Illinois in 1931. He received a master's degree in 1933 and a doctorate in 1937, both in history, from the University of Minnesota. He taught history at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., while working on his doctorate and taught at the University of Chicago from 1936 to 1942.

He also served as director of the Institute of Military Studies at the University of Chicago and wrote about military affairs for the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Col. Cole became an officer in the Army in 1942 and attended the Army's Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He served as chief of foreign area and language studies for the Army Specialized Training Program, a college-study program for selected enlisted men. He then was the historical officer on the staff of Patton's 3rd Army. He participated in four campaigns in Northern Europe.

At the end of the war, he became the Army's deputy historian for the European theater at the rank of lieutenant colonel, serving under Col. S.L.A. Marshall; he became theater historian when Marshall returned to the United States in December 1945.

In 1946, he joined the Office of the Chief of Military History in Washington as a civilian. As head of the office's European Theater section, he supervised the writing of the official history of the Army's role in fighting from Normandy to the Elbe.

He wrote two volumes of that history, "The Lorraine Campaign" (1950) and "The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge" (1965).

In 1952, he became director of the Heidelberg office of Johns Hopkins University's Operations Research Office, which worked exclusively on Army contracts. He directed research for strategic studies on an array of issues, including deployment plans, measure of combat effectiveness, logistical problems, the development of war-gaming techniques and doctrine for the placement of atomic demolition munitions.

From 1961 to 1972, he continued his involvement in Army strategic analysis, first as division chief and then as vice president of McLean-based Research Analysis Corp. He also was an Army Reserve officer from 1946 to 1964, when he retired as colonel. In 1973, he received the Army's Decoration for Distinguished Civilian Service for his research on challenges facing the Army. During the 1976-77 academic year, he held the Harold K. Johnson Chair of Military History at the Army War College in Carlisle, Pa.

Col. Cole was a lively raconteur, a jazz aficionado and a gourmet cook.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Catherine Joan Macmaster Cole of Alexandria; a daughter, Heather Katrina Cole of Gloucester, Mass.; and a sister.