Julie M. Crickenberger


Julie M. Crickenberger, 87, a volunteer with the American Heart Association, died after a heart attack June 14 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Crickenberger had a longtime affiliation with the American Heart Association, where she served in multiple leadership capacities. She was chairman of the 1979 Virginia State Heart Fund Campaign, chairman of the first Northern Virginia Heart Ball in 1970 and chairman of the board in 1976. In the 1980s, she was a member of the Health Care Advisory Board for Fairfax County.

She was active in Republican politics for nearly 50 years and was a past president of the Greater Falls Church Republican Women's Club. She also was a member of Falls Church Presbyterian Church and was on the board of her condominium association.

She was born in New Glarus, Wis., and moved to Washington in 1940 to work for the U.S. War Department. She graduated from the nursing program at the old Garfield Hospital in the District.

Her husband, Winston M. "Crick" Crickenberger, died in 1988.

Survivors include two daughters, Barbara Hall of Washington and Sara Brady of Vienna; three sisters; and a brother.

Jean Marie Luke

Homemaker, Volunteer

Jean Marie Luke, 77, a Wheaton homemaker and volunteer, died June 17 of congestive heart failure at a Manor Care rehabilitation center in Potomac.

Mrs. Luke was born in Evanston, Ill. After graduating from high school in Chicago, she worked as a secretary for the National Safety Council in Chicago. She lived in Arlington in the late 1950s, when her husband was assigned to the Pentagon as an Air Force intelligence officer, and moved to Wheaton in 1962.

In Wheaton, she was a member of St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church, where her activities included Sodality, the Catholic Youth Organization and rummage sales. Her children were graduates of St. Catherine's School, and she was involved in school activities as well. From the mid-1970s until the fall of 2004, she volunteered at the Women's Interfaith Service Store in Rockville. She was an avid gardener.

Her husband, James A. Luke, died in 1993.

Survivors include five children, Cathleen A. Clark of Olney, Michael A. Luke of Willards, Md., David J. Luke of Germantown, James E. Luke of Wheaton and John P. Luke of Finksburg, Md.; two brothers; and 10 grandchildren.

Jerry T. Moskal


Jerry T. Moskal, 76, a former Gannett News Service reporter who in retirement covered the U.S. Tax Court for several newspapers, died of cancer June 13 at his home in Locust Grove, Va.

Mr. Moskal was born in Detroit. He served in the Army and spent two years in college before he was given the opportunity to become a reporter. He worked for 44 years as a writer for several newspapers, including the Lansing State Journal in Michigan, and as bureau chief for Michigan with Gannett News Service. From 1968 to 1972, he was White House correspondent for the news service. He returned to Michigan and then to the Washington area, working for Gannett in both places, before retiring in 1994.

After retiring and until his death, he wrote stories from the U.S. Tax Court for several newspapers across the country.

He was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Spotsylvania, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Knights of Columbus.

Two sons died before him, Mark Joseph Moskal, who died in 1978, and Timothy John Moskal, who died June 10 of a heart attack en route to see his father.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Nona Doris Moskal of Locust Grove; four children, Karen Lynn Moskal of Athens, Ga., Daniel Theodore Moskal of Chicago and Cynthia Helen Moskal and Randall Paul Moskal, both of Lansing.

Nancy L. Van Epps

Occupational Therapist

Nancy L. Van Epps, 87, a retired occupational therapist and vocational rehabilitation counselor at St. Elizabeths Hospital, died June 20 of respiratory failure at the Azalea Trace retirement community in Pensacola, Fla. She was an Alexandria resident from 1961 to 1981.

Mrs. Van Epps was born in Boston and grew up in Fitchburg, Mass., and Worcester, Mass. She received a bachelor's degree from the University of Massachusetts in 1938 and taught high school American history. She worked as a 4-H Club county agent before joining the Army Air Corps in 1943. She served on Gen. Leon W. Johnson's staff as the cryptographic officer to the 8th Air Force, 14th Combat Bomb Wing, 44th Bomb Group.

In the early 1950s, she received a degree in occupational therapy from Western Michigan University and a master's degree in education and rehabilitation from Michigan State University. She worked as an occupational therapist at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Battle Creek, Mich., and as a public health sanitation inspector for Kalamazoo, Mich.

She moved to Alexandria when her husband was transferred to the Pentagon in 1961, and she began working at St. Elizabeths Hospital that same year.

She retired in 1981 and moved to Pensacola.

Her marriage to Walter L. Bunker ended in divorce. Her second husband, retired Navy Capt. Hugh C. Van Epps, died in 2003.

Survivors include a son from the first marriage, Bruce Bunker of Alexandria; a son from the second marriage, Neil Van Epps of Pensacola; two stepchildren from the second marriage, Hugh Van Epps Jr. of Vicksburg, Mich., and Susan Wade of Kalamazoo; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Isabelle Ogilby Barr

Nursery School Founder

Isabelle Ogilby Barr, 89, founder of a Kensington nursery school, died June 18 of pneumonia at Washington Home hospice. She lived in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Barr was born in Washington and grew up in Chevy Chase. She graduated from the Potomac School and the Madeira School and attended Sweet Briar College in Virginia.

In the late 1940s, she founded the Barbelle Creative Center for Children in Kensington. She ran the school until her retirement in 1978 and maintained friendships with students and parents from the school for many years.

Before her marriage in 1940, Mrs. Barr was a volunteer at Children's Hospital.

She began to collect children's books and toys early in her life. She donated much of her collection to Kensington, and it was displayed in the town hall for a number of years. Her other interests included classical music, gardening and sailing.

In her teens, Mrs. Barr raced small boats competitively during summers in Gloucester, Mass. She and her husband later sailed for pleasure on the Chesapeake Bay.

She lived in the Rock Creek Hills section of Kensington for more than 50 years before she moved to Chevy Chase in 1996. She was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Kensington and the Chevy Chase Club.

Her husband of 59 years, John L. Barr Jr., died in 2000.

Her son, Dr. John L. Barr III, died in 2004.

Survivors include her daughter, Margaret Barr Eastman of Chevy Chase; and two grandchildren.

Julie M. Crickenberger served with the American Heart Association.