Aquarium Dolphin Gives Birth in Baltimore

A 33-year-old Atlantic bottlenose dolphin affectionately known as Nani gave birth to a 30-pound, three-foot-long calf, officials at the National Aquarium in Baltimore announced yesterday.

The calf, which remains nameless, was born "tail first" in good condition at 4:58 p.m. Monday as the marine mammal team, veterinarians and volunteers watched, said Molly Foyle, director of media relations. "The important thing is that the calf begins to nurse," she said. "The immune system is built from the elements in the mother's milk."

It is also possible that Nani's milk could be bottled and fed to the calf.

For the first four or five days, calves are nursed as often as four times an hour for a few seconds at a time. The nursing period can range from one to two years, said Foyle. The calf might begin to eat fish when it is about 7 months old.


Girl Who Died in Washer Was Asphyxiated

A 5-year-old girl from Chilhowie, Va., who was killed June 17 when she became trapped inside a commercial washing machine died of asphyxiation, according to formal findings released yesterday by the medical examiner's office in Roanoke.

The report said Rebecca "Hope" Wagoner died as a result of "positional and closed space confinement asphyxia due to entrapment in a rotating drum washing machine."

"It was lack of air," said Chilhowie Police Chief Dwayne Sheffield, whose investigators are still examining the circumstances surrounding the girl's death.

Police said the girl was in the Village Laundry with her 14-year-old half brother when she became trapped in the water-filled machine.

Hope's mother, Rebecca Billings Wagoner, broke open the washer to free her, but Hope died an hour later at a hospital in Tennessee.

Day Laborer Electrocuted on Fairfax Job

A day laborer working on a construction project in Fairfax City was electrocuted Friday night, police said yesterday.

Hector Armando Medrano, 32, of Stable Horse Drive in Sterling was trying to raise scaffolding poles in the Fairfax Square apartment complex, just off Main Street (Route 236). About 7 p.m., one of the poles fell backward, and Medrano tried to hold it up, but it struck an overhead electrical line, police said.

Medrano was thrown to the ground and stopped breathing. He was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy Monday confirmed electrocution as the cause of death, police said.

Community College Urged as First Step

The chancellor of Virginia's community college system has proposed incentives for students to enroll in two-year community colleges instead of going straight to public universities, which are growing increasingly crowded.

Under the proposal circulated to legislators, community college graduates with a grade-point average of B or better would pay the community college tuition rate at the four-year public institutions to which they transfer. In addition, the four-year institution would receive $1,000 per transfer student.

Chancellor Glenn DuBois has estimated that the program would cost the state $4 million annually.

Va. Tech Participates in Malaria Project

Virginia Tech has been named part of a consortium to deal with malaria in undeveloped parts of the world.

Researchers in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the College of Science will join researchers from the Mayo Clinic and the International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology field site in Kenya in a $2.7 million research project to help developing nations reduce the occurrence of malaria.

The project is funded by a grant from the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health through the Grand Challenges in Global Health initiative.


Two Men Shot, One Fatally, in Pr. George's

One man was killed and another wounded in shootings yesterday outside an apartment complex in the Seat Pleasant area, Prince George's County police said.

Officers called to the complex about 10 p.m. in the 6800 block of Central Avenue found two wounded men, said Cpl. Diane Richardson, a police spokeswoman. Both men were taken to hospitals.

The 18-year-old was later pronounced dead at the hospital, she said. The second man, 19, suffered serious injuries. The men's names were not available late last night.

Police knew of no motive for the shootings and were trying to determine whether the victims were involved in an altercation with each other or other parties.

WSSC Names Veteran Employee to Post

Carla R. Joyner has been named the deputy general manager of the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, which provides water and sewer services to 1.6 million customers in Prince George's and Montgomery counties.

General Manager Andrew Brunhart announced the selection yesterday. "Carla is a proven leader who deeply cares for this organization, our customers and all WSSC employees," Brunhart said.

Joyner, a WSSC employee for 19 years, had been the acting deputy general manager for four months. She served as interim general manager for six months last year while WSSC conducted a national search to replace ousted general manager John R. Griffin.

Garrett Island Declared a Wildlife Refuge

An island at the mouth of the Susquehanna River will become a national wildlife refuge.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has purchased the 198-acre island, near Havre de Grace. A federal wildlife official said the designation means that Garrett Island will be protected from development.

U.S. Rep. Wayne T. Gilchrest (R-Md.) sponsored legislation that led to the purchase. He said Garrett Island will become an ecological resource to learn about the Chesapeake Bay. The largely undeveloped land is a temporary home for migratory birds and fish.

"We tried to have a terrible hypothesis. If the plane [on Sept. 11, 2001] had hit a different wing of the Pentagon, the casualty rate might have been five times as great."

-- Chuck Bean, executive director of the Nonprofit Roundtable of Greater Washington, on determining readiness preparations. -- B1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Leef Smith, Tom Jackman and Ovetta Wiggins and the Associated Press.