No report was provided by the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria for today's Extra. For information, call 703-838-4774.


The following were among cases handled recently by the Animal Welfare League of Arlington, which operates the county animal shelter and provides animal control services to Arlington County. The shelter is open for adoptions from noon to 7 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information or to report emergencies involving animals 24 hours a day, call 703-931-9241. The league's Web site is

Duck's Meal Hard to Swallow

SOUTH 27TH ROAD AND BUCHANAN STREET, June 22. A woman called animal control about a duck sitting on the road and shaking its head as if it had something stuck in its throat. An officer captured the female mallard and examined it at the county shelter. The officer initially found nothing in the bird's throat but noticed it was unable to close its beak. She opened its mouth again and found a large piece of bread dried to the roof. The officer removed the bread using a moist gauze pad. The healthy bird was released in a wooded area near where it was found.

Dog in Distress After Exercise

ARLINGTON MILL DR., 2600 block, June 14. A person went to the county shelter to request help for a dog that was having trouble standing in a dog park. An animal control officer found a large male dog that appeared to be in distress. The owner said they had gone out for a run and when they arrived at the park, the dog took a long drink from a creek and laid down. Although it was late at night, the temperature was more than 80 degrees. The officer tried to persuade the owner to take the animal to a veterinarian, but he declined. The dog's condition appeared to be improving, so the officer put it on a stretcher and drove the animal to its owner's home.

Animal control recommends that owners not subject their pets to strenuous exercise in warm weather.

Raccoon Freed From Fence

KENSINGTON ST. N., 2200 block, June 20. A woman's two dogs found a raccoon with its foot stuck on top of a fence. An animal control officer moved fence panels to free the animal. After determining that the leg was uninjured, the officer released the raccoon in nearby woods. The woman called animal control several days later to report she had seen the raccoon frequently, but no longer walking on the fence.

-- Compiled by RIA MANGLAPUS