Mary Markowitz Booth
Psychiatric Social Worker
Mary Markowitz Booth, 96, a former psychiatric social worker at Chestnut Lodge Hospital in Rockville, died of congestive heart failure June 26 at George Washington University Hospital.
Mrs. Booth moved to Washington in 1935 with her husband, who worked in the New Deal federal government. She worked at St. Elizabeths prior to working at Chestnut Lodge Hospital for eight years in the 1960s.
From the late 1960s to the mid-1970s, she worked at Huron Valley Child Guidance Clinic in Michigan. Mrs. Booth retired and moved to San Diego, where she lived until 1982, when she returned to Washington.
Mrs. Booth was born in Piotrkov, Poland, and immigrated to Chicago in 1911. She was salutatorian of her high school class and graduated from the University of Chicago in 1930. She received a master's degree in social work from Smith College in 1955.
Mrs. Booth was active during World War II assisting in the settlement of Jewish refugees in the United States. She later was active in the Democratic Party and with Americans for Democratic Action.
Her husband, Philip Booth, died in 1981.
Survivors include two sons, Michael Booth of Clifton and Paul Booth of Washington; three grandsons; and one great-grandson.
George J. Cardy
George J. Cardy, 79, a discount stockbroker, died of renal failure June 27 at Montgomery Hospice Casey House in Rockville. He lived in Silver Spring.
Mr. Cardy was a banker at State National Bank of Maryland, First National Bank of Maryland and the Bank of Maryland before he became one of the area's first discount stockbrokers. He opened the Rockville branch of Olde Discount Stockbrokers in 1979, serving as a vice president. He owned Cardy & Co. Discount Stockbrokers from 1985 to 1995, when he sold the business and retired.
He was born in Detroit and served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He moved to the Washington area after the war and in the 1950s became manager of the new Viers Mill movie theater in Rockville, where he introduced stage shows and prizes before double features.
He graduated from George Washington University and did graduate work at the University of Virginia.
His wife, Irene Cardy, died in 1996.
Survivors include three sons, Thomas Cardy of Germantown, Nicholas Cardy of Frederick and Frank Cardy of Silver Spring; a sister; a brother; and seven grandchildren.
Ethel Mae Lindsey Bovet
Ethel Mae Lindsey Bovet, 86, a librarian with Prince George's County public schools, died June 8 at the Colonnades, a Charlottesville nursing home. She had a degenerative neurological disease.
Mrs. Bovet lived in the Mount Vernon section of Fairfax County south of Alexandria from 1948 to 1990, when she moved to Charlottesville. She and her husband also had a second home in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
She was born in Warren, Minn., and graduated from the University of Minnesota. She joined the WAVES in World War II and worked in Washington with the Bureau of Ordnance, helping draft designs for ships. She reached the rank of first lieutenant.
Mrs. Bovet studied at George Washington University and taught French at Lee High School in Fairfax County in 1967-68. She also worked for kitchen remodeling firms in Northern Virginia in the late 1960s.
In 1970, she received a master's degree in library science from the University of Maryland. From 1970 to 1979, she was a librarian in the Prince George's County school system, primarily at Barnaby Manor Elementary School in Oxon Hill.
Mrs. Bovet lived in Colorado from 1979 to 1981 before returning to Northern Virginia. She was a member of the American Association of University Women and of a WAVES alumni organization. She was a charter member of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church.
She enjoyed international travel and toured widely in Europe, Australia and the Caribbean. She and her husband, a Swiss native, visited Switzerland more than 25 times.
Her husband of 53 years, Eric D. Bovet, died in 2000.
Survivors include four children, David Bovet of Lexington, Mass., Raymond Bovet of Longmont, Colo., Astrid "Triddy" Bovet of Burke and Marguerite "Meg" Mesesan of Charlottesville; two brothers; and five grandchildren.
John Crawford Datt
Farm Bureau Federation Officer
John Crawford Datt, 78, a former executive director of the American Farm Bureau Federation's Washington office, died June 7 of cardiac arrest at Reston Community Hospital. He was a resident of Great Falls, where he had lived since 1979. He lived for many years before that in Silver Spring.
Mr. Datt was born in Valencia, Pa., where he grew up on a family-owned dairy, fruit and vegetable farm. He received a bachelor's degree in economics and history from Muskingum College in Ohio in 1949 and a master's degree in agricultural economics from Penn State University in 1951.
He moved to the Washington area in 1950 to join the American Farm Bureau Federation, starting as assistant director for the fruit and vegetable department. He later became director. He also served as assistant legislative director, as director of the Washington office and administrative officer in both the Park Ridge, Ill., and Washington offices. He retired as executive director in 1992.
During his tenure at the agricultural advocacy group, he dealt with most of the major agricultural legislation passed in the latter half of the 20th century and represented farmers and ranchers at a crucial time in their evolving relationship with the U.S. government. The federation honored him with its Distinguished Service to Agriculture Award in 1996.
After his retirement, he joined the U.S. Department of Agriculture and worked for about a year as director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs.
He coached at the Silver Spring Boys Club and was a member of Christ Congregational Church in Silver Spring. In Great Falls, he was a member of Vienna Presbyterian Church and River Bend Country Club.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Gwen Datt of Great Falls; three children, Amy Datt of Derwood, Douglas Datt of Derwood and Chris Datt of Roswell, Ga.; a sister; and five grandchildren.
Florence S. O'Callaghan
Church Member, Volunteer
Florence Sheehan O'Callaghan, 91, a longtime member of Church of the Little Flower Catholic church in Bethesda and a former English professor, died June 18 of pneumonia at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.
Mrs. O'Callaghan had lived in Bethesda since 1957. At her church, she was a leader of the Helping Hand, a service organization, and was a lay assistant for the rite of Christian initiation for adults. She was a member of the sodality, a lay reader during worship services and a member of the choir.
She was born in Hartford, Conn., and was a graduate of Smith College in Northampton, Mass. In 1940, she received a master's degree from the Bread Loaf School of English at Middlebury College in Vermont. In 1982, she received a certification in education for parish service from Washington's Trinity University.
Mrs. O'Callaghan taught high school theater in the early 1940s in Hartford, where one of her students was Norman Lear, who became a TV and movie writer and producer. She worked for the Red Cross during World War II and, following the war, taught English at the University of Oregon for four years.
Before moving to Bethesda, Mrs. O'Callaghan lived in California and Wyoming with her husband. Her interests included reading.
Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Jerry A. O'Callaghan of Bethesda; two daughters, Jane Edwards of Rockville and Susan O'Callaghan Davis of Chevy Chase; two sisters, Mary Tomasko of Manchester, Conn., and Alice Schmid of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.
Nurse, Church Member
Georgia Andrew Wren Law, 89, a retired nurse and church member, died of cardiopulmonary arrest May 30 at Goodwin House in Alexandria.
Mrs. Law, an Alexandria resident since 1946, was a founding member of Fairpark Baptist Church in Alexandria and later was a member of First Baptist Church of Alexandria for more than 40 years.
She was born in Coushatta, La., and trained as a registered nurse at the former Highland Memorial Hospital in Shreveport, La. She worked at Charity Hospital in New Orleans, then moved to Baltimore to work at the old Baltimore City Hospital. She moved in 1942 to Columbia Hospital for Women in Washington.
Mrs. Law married and lived for three years in Cleveland before returning to the Washington area. She was a longtime member of the Board of Lady Managers of Alexandria Hospital, a fundraising group. She was a former member of the Beverley Hills Women's Club and the Women's Auxiliary of the D.C. Medical Society.
An accomplished gardener, she was a member of the Beverley Hills Garden Club, the Council of Accredited Flower Show Judges, Ikebana International and the Rose Society.
Her husband of 61 years, Dr. Charles Edward Law, died in 2001.
Survivors include three children, Dr. Charles E. Law Jr. of Los Angeles, William M. Law and Wren Law, both of Alexandria; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.