Christopher Willmann

Auto Body Repairman

Christopher Willmann, 21, a 2001 graduate of Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg and an auto body repairman for Autobody Dimensions in Gaithersburg, died June 26 at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney after a traffic accident that day.

A spokeswoman for the Montgomery County police said Mr. Willmann was on his motorcycle traveling east on Olney Sandy Spring Road near Sandy Spring when he collided with a car that was turning from the westbound lane. The crash is under investigation.

Christopher Glenn Willmann was born in Rockville and raised in Olney. After graduating from Nashville Auto-Diesel College in Tennessee, he returned to the Washington area.

He was a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church in Olney, his town of residence.

Survivors include his father and stepmother, Steven and Vicki Willmann; his mother, Sloan Spezia; and a sister, Kelly Willmann. All are Olney residents.

Cyril S. 'Mike' Gradasoff

CIA Officer

Cyril S. Gradasoff, 80, who led a dramatic life of exile and excitement before becoming an officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, died June 25 of a heart attack at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Gradasoff, who was known as Mike, was born in Blagoveshchensk, Russia, and fled with his family to Harbin, China, as a child. After his father was assassinated by Soviet agents in China, Mr. Gradasoff moved to Haiphong, Vietnam, to live with his mother.

In Haiphong, he joined the French Foreign Legion. He took part in guerrilla raids against Japanese forces occupying Vietnam and helped supply information to the U.S. Army Air Forces through a network of agents. Imprisoned by the Japanese for 10 months, Mr. Gradasoff weighed 80 pounds at the end of the war, when his captors abandoned the jail. He made his way to Portland, Ore., by way of Shanghai in late 1945.

He was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of California at Berkeley.

From 1949 to 1967 and from 1969 to 1975, Mr. Gradasoff worked as a ship painter for American President Lines in San Francisco. During that time, he was also a competitive pistol marksman, participating in tournaments throughout the country. He received the "distinguished master" designation from the National Rifle Association.

He worked for the CIA at two times, his wife said, from 1967 to 1969 and from 1975 to 1998. He used his fluency in Russian, French, English and other languages in several overseas postings and at CIA headquarters in Langley. He had lived in Arlington for the past 30 years.

He enjoyed hunting for fowl and fishing.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Lana Gradasoff of Arlington.

David A. Lanham


David Arthur Lanham, 77, a Washington psychiatrist who had a private practice since 1960 and was the chief of the city's forensic psychiatry office from 1964 to 1980, died June 27 at Suburban Hospital. He had cardiopulmonary arrest.

Dr. Lanham, a Bethesda resident, also practiced psychotherapy and psychoanalysis at his office. He often was an expert witness at hearings and trials.

He was an assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at George Washington University medical school from 1966 to 1997 and recently stepped down as medical director of the Charles County Mental Health Center.

He was a native of Springfield, Ill., and was in the Merchant Marine and served in the Army in the late 1940s.

He was a 1951 graduate of Saint Louis University and a 1955 graduate of its medical school. He completed an internship and residency in psychiatry at St. Elizabeths Hospital and was a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institute.

He was a life fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, and his memberships included the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, E. Jean Lanham of Bethesda; three daughters, Ellen Lanham Dart of Boulder, Colo., and Diana Sullivan and Susan Lanham, both of Bethesda; and six grandchildren.

Margaret Maxine Huppert

Construction Company Official

Margaret Maxine Huppert, 75, who was vice president of an Arlington construction company, died June 29 of an aneurysm at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Falls Church.

Mrs. Huppert, who was known as "Mike" to her family, was born in Fayetteville, W.Va., and came to the Washington area in 1947 to work for the FBI as a stenographer. She later held a similar position with the National Academy of Sciences.

In the early 1970s, she joined Alvo Construction Co. in Arlington as an office manager, rising to become a corporate vice president. She retired in 1979.

Mrs. Huppert was known as an outstanding cook who often gave parties at her home and prepared food for friends and neighbors. She was active in Republican politics and volunteered for the campaigns of Rep. Joel T. Broyhill (R-Va.) and other candidates.

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, J. Donald Huppert of Falls Church; three daughters, Susan Herrington of Ashburn, Nancy Humphreys of Pace, Fla., and Sally Brady of Troy, Mich.; three sisters, Ann Taylor of Fayetteville, W.Va., and Ruby Cottle and Marye Gherring, both of Lima, Ohio; a brother, Clyde Rice of Falls Church; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Ruth Regina Moss

Occupational Therapist

Ruth Regina Moss, 82, a former occupational therapist with the Prince George's County Health Department, died June 28 of lung cancer at her home at Leisure World in Silver Spring. She lived in Wheaton for 45 years before moving to Leisure World seven years ago.

Mrs. Moss was born in Stuttgart, Germany, and fled the Holocaust with her family in 1938 to come to the United States. She worked for a time as a maid and nanny and hand painted ties in Miami. In 1947, she moved to Washington, where she met and married her husband, a German native who also had escaped the Holocaust.

Mrs. Moss spent about 20 years working with the Prince George's Health Department. She worked in a psychiatric unit helping patients with arts and crafts projects. She retired in the mid-1980s.

She was known for creating greeting cards using flowers that she had pressed in phone books. She enjoyed family gatherings, travel, classical music and the outdoors.

Her husband of 52 years, Kurt Moss, died in 1999.

Survivors include three children, Leslie Friedheim of Columbia, Dennis Bozman-Moss of Healdsburg, Calif., and Margo Maier of Olney; and six grandchildren.

Laura Gillette Johnson

Recruiting Specialist

Laura Gillette Johnson, 42, a Bethesda native and a human resources recruiting specialist, died June 26 of colon cancer at her home in Parkton, Md.

Mrs. Johnson was born in Bethesda, where she attended Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart. She graduated from the Madeira School in McLean in 1980 and from Denison University in Granville, Ohio, in 1984.

While growing up in Bethesda, she was a member of the swim team at Kenwood Country Club.

She was a computer specialist with Triton Corp. in Washington for two years before moving to Boston to work for EDP Security Inc. She returned to the Washington area in the late 1980s and worked for Comsys Information Technology Services Inc. in Gaithersburg.

In the early 1990s, she joined T. Rowe Price, an investment managing firm, in Baltimore as a human resources and recruiting specialist. She later worked in recruiting for RewardsPlus in Hunt Valley, Md., before retiring because of her health in late 2003.

She lived in Reisterstown, Md., before moving to Parkton in 2002.

Survivors include her husband of 11 years, Jay E. Johnson of Parkton; her parents, retired Navy Capt. Robert C. Gillette and Margalee Gillette of Bethesda; three sisters, Elise Gillette of Bethesda, Annalee G. Regensburg of Alexandria and Amy G. Groesbeck of Hagerstown, Md.; and a brother, Robert C. Gillette of Shepherdstown, W.Va.

Theresa Lynn 'Teri' Walker

Graphic Artist

Theresa Lynn "Teri" Walker, 47, a graphic artist, died June 29 of ovarian cancer at her sister's home in Odenton. She lived in Reston.

She was born in Louisville and grew up in several states before moving to Northern Virginia with her family. She was a 1976 graduate of Bishop O'Connell High School in Arlington and later graduated from George Washington University. She worked as a graphic artist with De La Rue Security Print Inc. of Herndon until retiring in 1999 because of her health.

Survivors include her parents, Dr. Glenn A. Walker of Reston and Lois Peak Walker of Columbia; two sisters, Mary Michelle Walker of Odenton and Christine Walker Evans of Alexandria; a brother, David Neil Walker of Apex, N.C.; and her grandmother, Mary A. Walker of Elizabethtown, Ky.