Elizabeth Shaw Roderick


Elizabeth Shaw Roderick, 75, a retired administrator, died June 3 as a result of an auto accident in Fairfax County. She lived in Alexandria.

Ms. Roderick was born in Spring Lake, N.J., and spent most of her life in the Washington area. She graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in the District and from George Washington University. She worked for Mantech International from 1973 until 1995, when she retired, and was senior administrative manager and equal employment opportunity specialist.

She was a longtime member of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church, where she served on the board of trustees.

Her first husband, Roger L. Roderick, died in 1963. Her marriage to Thomas DeSchazo ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Sharon Connor of Encinitas, Calif., and Markley S. Roderick of Moorestown, N.J.; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Mary Elizabeth Little

Homemaker, Brokerage Executive

Mary Elizabeth Little, 91, a homemaker and former vice president of a yacht brokerage and supply store in Washington, died of pneumonia June 5 at Hart Heritage Estates, a nursing home in Street, Md. She previously had lived in the District.

Mrs. Little was born in Philadelphia and graduated from Rosemont College in Bryn Mawr, Pa., in 1935. She was an actor and director with the Narbeth Players in the Philadelphia area before moving to the District in 1945.

She was vice president of William Jay Little and Co., her husband's yacht brokerage and supply store on Maine Avenue SW, from 1948 to 1984. She belonged to the Chevy Chase Women's Club and the Saint Jude Guild at Our Lady of Victory Parish in Washington and was a former member of the Kenwood Country Club and the Corinthian Yacht Club. She was a founding member of the Washington chapter of the American Ceramic Circle.

Her husband, William Jay Little, died in 1985.

Survivors include five children, Anne Blackford of Riegelsville, Pa., Margaret Herman of Darlington, Md., Jay Little of Sandbridge, Va., Peter Little of Lexington, Ky., and John Little of Port Republic; 12 grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.

Charles Edward Gallagher Sr.

Paint Shop Foreman

Charles Edward Gallagher Sr., 79, a former paint shop foreman for the Smithsonian Institute, died of cancer June 28 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Gallagher was born in Washington. In 1943, he enlisted in the Navy before graduating from high school and served as a boatswain mate second class on the USS Custer during World War II, operating landing craft vehicles during the battles at Okinawa and Saipan. He later received a general equivalency diploma. He was recalled to duty during the Korean War.

He worked as a salesman for May Hardware in Georgetown from 1947 to 1952 and as an Alexandria police officer from 1952 to 1962. He worked for a few years for the Veterans Administration as a painter, primarily at the White House, before becoming the Smithsonian's paint shop foreman in 1968. He retired in 1988.

Mr. Gallagher was a member of Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in Alexandria, where he served as an usher for 41 years.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Frances L. Gallagher of Alexandria; a son, Charles E. Gallagher Jr. of Alexandria; a sister, Marie E. Herrmann of Temple Hills; and four grandchildren.

William E. Constable

Real Estate Lawyer

William Edwin Constable, 74, a real estate lawyer who formerly worked for Thompson Hine and Flory in Washington, died May 31 at a hospital in Tucson. He had complications from surgery for colon cancer almost two weeks earlier.

Mr. Constable was born in Bloomington, Ind., and raised in Ellettsville, Ind. He was a 1966 government graduate of Indiana University and a 1969 magna cum laude graduate of its law school.

He worked briefly for the Federal Highway Administration's chief counsel before joining Wilkes Artis, where he became a partner and helped manage the Washington law firm.

In 1979, he opened the firm of Clark and Constable, which in 1983 consolidated practices with Thompson Hine and Flory. He retired in 1990, and he continued to do consulting work for the firm.

He also practiced law after moving to Arizona from Potomac in 1991. At his death, he was a resident of Sonoita, Ariz.

His marriage to Mary Dodd Constable ended in divorce. His second wife, Elizabeth Kailing Constable, died in February.

Survivors include three children from his first marriage, Amy Belson of Millersville, Anne Constable of Frederick and Bryan Constable of Portland, Ore.; and five grandchildren.

Edward 'Ned' Truslow Minor

Attorney, Volunteer

Edward "Ned" Truslow Minor, 75, an attorney and a volunteer, died of complications from pneumonia June 24 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Minor, a native Washingtonian, attended Potomac School and graduated from St. Albans and Episcopal High School in Alexandria. He graduated from Yale University and then worked as a wildcatter on oil rigs in Texas. He owned a dry cleaner in Houston for a short time.

He graduated from the University of Houston's law school in 1960, then joined the Washington firm of Burton, Heffelfinger, McCarthy and Kendrick for three years. He spent the next decade at Kendrick and Associates on Capitol Hill and several years with Loewinger and Associates. In 1980, he went into private practice.

He was a member of the Foggy Bottom Association and past treasurer of the Capitol Hill Montessori School. He joined the Capitol Hill Recorder Group in the 1980s and was a master gardener. He enjoyed gourmet cooking, playing the piano and attending Bach Consort concerts at Church of the Epiphany in Washington.

Mr. Minor joined the Experience Corps and spent 2001 to 2003 as a classroom assistant and reading tutor at Birney and Bowen elementary schools in Washington.

His wife of 23 years, Dr. Maureen Nixon Minor, died in 1989.

Survivors include two daughters, Susan Minor Snoots of Scott Air Force Base, Ill., and Ann Minor of Alexandria; two brothers; and two grandchildren.

Robert Albert Edwards

Government Administrator

Robert Albert Edwards, 72, former city administrator of College Park and chief administrative officer of Prince George's County, died June 27 at his home in Hudson, Ohio. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Edwards served in College Park from 1962 until 1971. His appointment to the Prince George's post was delayed for several months over political controversy about how the county executive selected him, but he ultimately won the approval of the County Council and served in that position until 1975.

Born in Hillsboro, Ill., he graduated from Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., and received a master's degree in government from the University of Pennsylvania and a law degree from the University of Akron.

He worked in Evanston and Savanna, Ill., before coming to College Park. After 1975, he became city manager of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and then worked in city government in Akron, Ohio. After receiving his law degree, he went into private practice as an attorney. He retired in 2000.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Mary Edwards of Hudson; four children, Karen Edwards-Smith of Hudson, Sheryl Mundy of Point Roberts, Wash., Rob Edwards of Bainbridge, Ohio, and Eric Edwards of Phoenix.; his father, Albert Edwards of Akron; and 11 grandchildren.

Gloria S. Castleberry

Claims Adjuster

Gloria S. Castleberry, 69, an insurance claims adjuster, died June 29 of cancer at Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital in Baltimore. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Castleberry had lived in the Washington area since 1982. She was a claims adjuster for the reinsurance division of AON Corp. in Washington before retiring in 1995.

She was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and was a cum laude graduate of City College of New York. She lived in New York before moving to Fairfax County and later to Silver Spring.

In addition to her own children, Mrs. Castleberry helped raise her two granddaughters.

Survivors include her husband of 41 years, Wilberton Castleberry Sr. of Silver Spring; three children, William Ivan Castleberry of Tuckahoe, N.Y., Susan L. Castleberry-Crosby of Waldorf and Linda Turner of New York; two stepsons, Wilberton Castleberry Jr. of Aurora, Colo., and Glenn Castleberry of Fort Worth; two granddaughters; and six step-grandchildren.

John Ernest Willoughby

VA Official

John Ernest Willoughby, 92, an official with the Veterans Administration, died June 29 of congestive heart failure at Manor Care nursing facility in Wheaton. He lived in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Willoughby came to Washington in 1941 as an analyst with the old Bureau of the Budget. After serving in the Army in Europe during World War II, he joined the Veterans Administration (now the Department of Veterans Affairs) in 1945. He helped expand the VA's medical facilities in the postwar years.

From 1953 to 1958, he was assistant manager of a VA hospital in Ann Arbor, Mich. He returned to the Washington area in 1958 and held several positions, retiring in 1972 as special assistant to the administrator. He was also a member of the VA administrator's advisory council.

Mr. Willoughby was born on a farm in Shiawassee County, Mich. He was a graduate of the University of Michigan and received a master's degree in economics from the University of Southern California. He received a master's degree in public administration in the late 1960s from George Washington University.

He lived in Wheaton from 1958 until moving to Chevy Chase in the early 1990s.

A member of the Audubon Society, he served as treasurer of the Washington chapter. He was a member of the Scottish Rite and of Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 68 years, Frances Willoughby of Chevy Chase; two children, Anne Konopka of Ludington, Mich., and John A. Willoughby of Washington; a sister, Zora Feran of Camarillo, Calif.; two brothers, Laurence Willoughby of Mendocino, Calif., and Leigh Willoughby of Springfield; and three grandchildren.

Delores Morgan Hill

Vienna Club President

Delores Morgan Hill, 84, a Washington area resident from the 1940s to mid-1990s and a former president of the Vienna Women's Club, died June 28 at an assisted-living facility in Moorestown, N.J., after a recent fall.

Mrs. Hill helped organize the Oakton Women's Club, was a charter member of the Greater Vienna Republican Women's Club and volunteered for the American Cancer Society and other charitable organizations. She was once named Citizen of the Year in Vienna.

She was born in Norfolk. Although primarily a Vienna resident, she later lived in St. Michaels, Md., before moving to New Jersey. At her death, she was a resident of Mount Laurel, N.J.

Her husband of 55 years, Vernon W. Hill, died in 1994.

Survivors include six children, Stephen Hill of Lutherville, Md., Jim Hill of Eugene, Ore., Vernon W. Hill II and Robert Hill, both of Moorestown, and Mildred Gliniecki and Diane Hill-Turrell, both of Tunkhannock, Pa.; a brother; 12 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Charles Richardson Chandler

Navy Captain

Charles Richardson Chandler, 87, a retired Navy captain, died of kidney failure, congestive heart disease and prostate cancer June 14 at The Fairfax, a military retirement home at Fort Belvoir.

Capt. Chandler was a native Washingtonian and graduated from Annapolis High School. He was appointed to the Naval Academy and graduated in 1939. He served on the USS California before going to submarine school. On Dec. 7, 1941, he was the assistant signal officer aboard the USS Pompano, which arrived at Pearl Harbor shortly after the disastrous strike on the Navy's fleet.

His father was a commanding officer on the USS Northampton, which was also just off Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack, while Capt. Chandler's mother awaited her husband and son on the island.

During World War II, Capt. Chandler also served aboard the USS Indiana, Drayton and Thatcher, surviving kamikaze attacks on two of those ships. He earned a Purple Heart and a Silver Star.

After the war, he served on the staff of the command for destroyers based in the Pacific. He spent 1950 to 1952 as an instructor at the Naval Academy in seamanship and navigation and wrote "The Watch Officer's Guide," a textbook used for years.

He took command of the USS McDermut, assigned to picket duty off Korea, where his actions won him the Bronze Star for destroying enemy mines and providing gunfire support for minesweepers. When enemy shore batteries fired on the minesweepers, he placed his ship between them and the beach, and fire from his ship silenced three batteries.

He later served at the fleet training group in San Diego, as commanding officer aboard the USS Vega, commanding officer of the fleet training group in Pearl Harbor and commanding officer of the U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, Japan. His last sea duty was as commander of the service squadron at Newport, R.I. He retired in 1969 after serving at the Naval Board of Inspection and Survey in Washington.

In retirement, he was active in reunion organizations for the Drayton and Thatcher crews. He also patented a device to purify water.

His wife, Ann Yates Chandler, died in 1986.

Survivors include three children, Kathryn Chandler of Washington, Annie Lawhorne of Dumfries and Yates Chandler of Los Angeles; and three grandchildren.

Gertrude Theresa Porter

Practical Nurse

Gertrude Theresa Porter, 73, a retired practical nurse, died June 29 of cardiac arrest at Washington Adventist Hospital. She was a Hyattsville resident.

Mrs. Porter was born in Washington and graduated from the Academy of the Holy Names in 1950. She worked as a cashier and clerk at G.C. Murphy store, Hechts department store and other establishments before and shortly after her marriage in 1953. She then became a homemaker.

In 1977, she received her degree from Hannah Harrison Career School in Washington and became a licensed practical nurse. She worked primarily in private homes in Silver Spring, Hyattsville and Washington. She retired in 2000.

An inveterate reader, she made trips to the public library almost daily. She also enjoyed visiting museums.

Her marriage to Robert E. Porter ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Catherine Ann Garner of Laurel, Debra Jean Porter of Shady Side and Michael T. Porter of Shady Side; three brothers, Louis Grimmnitz of Merritt Island, Fla., Fred Grimmnitz of North Potomac and William Grimmnitz of Gaithersburg; one sister, Susan Foster of Blacksburg, Va.; and two grandchildren.

Robert Emery Downey

Air Force Master Sergeant

Robert Emery Downey, 86, an Air Force master sergeant who later worked for the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, died of congestive heart failure June 28 at Collingswood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Rockville.

Sgt. Downey, who was born in Bloomer, Wis., served in two branches of the military, first enlisting in the Army in 1940. He served with the 39th Infantry Division of the Third Army during World War II as a combat soldier in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany.

He fought in the Battle of Kasserine Pass in Tunisia and took part in invasions in Sicily, Italy and Normandy. After being wounded in France, he returned to action and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He left the Army in 1945 with the rank of staff sergeant.

He joined the Air Force soon after it was formed in 1947. He was based in Washington in the early 1950s and had long stints of service at Bolling Air Force Base and Fort McNair. Sgt. Downey worked primarily as a ground instructor for pilots training on aircraft simulators. He retired from the Air Force in 1968.

He worked for WSSC in a variety of technical positions until his second retirement in 1983.

He enjoyed hunting and fishing, particularly in his native Wisconsin, and was known as a skilled mechanic and handyman. He lived in Forestville for 36 years.

His wife, Geraldine Grieb Downey, died on their 40th anniversary in January 2003.

Survivors include a stepson, Michael A. Grieb of Garrett Park; one sister; one brother; and a grandson.