The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, a week or on a regular basis.
Forte International Exchange Association: Families are sought to host international exchange students, providing room and board while the students attend Loudoun County schools for a semester or academic year beginning in August. All students speak English and have health insurance. 888-866-6869 or www.forteexchange.org.
LEC (Loisirs Culturels a l'Etranger): Cultural exchange program seeks families to host French students ages 13 to 19 for three weeks this summer by providing room and board. One family with a teacher or tutor willing to instruct a student in English for $25 an hour is urgently needed. 703-392-6234 or www.lec-usa.com.
ESL and Immigrant Ministries: Teach English as a second language to adults in classes in Sterling. Instructor training begins in August; classes start in September. 703-271-8341, Ext. 3, www.eslim.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northern Virginia Family Service: Help organize and develop a space plan for the crowded office of an outreach organization that provides counseling and services for families in need. 703-404-1901 or email@example.com.
American Red Cross Blood Services: Greet donors, provide reading materials and refreshments and watch over donors after they have given blood. Training is provided. Volunteers must attend two five-hour blood drives a month. There will be several blood drives in Loudoun County in July. Teenagers 14 and older can participate over the summer by serving at least 40 hours. 800-272-0094, Ext. 1.
Loudoun Literacy Council tutors: Teach adults basic literacy and English as a second language. Instructor training provided. 703-777-2205.
Loudoun County Health Department: Act as a patient in a large-scale emergency-preparedness exercise Oct. 22 at Potomac Falls High School in Sterling. All ages are encouraged to sign up to visit the mock dispensing site. Register online at www.loudoun.gov/health/volunteer.htm or call 703-771-5829 for more information.
Loudoun County: Serve on the following county advisory boards, commissions and committees. 703-771-5034.
* Advisory Commission on Youth: Sterling District.
* Affordable Dwelling Unit Advisory Board: One single-family home builder.
* Bull Run Alcohol Safety Action Program: At-large representative.
* Cable TV Advisory Committee: Broad Run District.
* Commission on Aging: Sterling District.
* Commission on Women: Sterling and Sugarland Run districts.
* Community Criminal Justice Board: At-large and Catoctin District.
* Community Policy and Management Committee: Provider representative.
* Commuter Bus Advisory Board: Potomac, Sterling and Sugarland Run districts.
* Disability Services Board: At-large business representatives or representatives who are disabled or have family members who are disabled.
* Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee: At-large representatives.
* Fire and Rescue Commission: Three at-large representatives who are fire and rescue volunteers.
* Historic District Review Committee: At-large representative.
* Library Board of Trustees: Broad Run and Sugarland Run districts.
* Open Space Advisory Committee: Sterling and Sugarland Run districts.
* Road Viewers Board: At-large representatives.
* Woods Road Special Exception Oversight Committee: At-large representatives.
-- Compiled by LILA DE TANTILLO
To Submit an Item
Mail: Nonprofit groups that need volunteers should send notices to Volunteers, The Washington Post, Suite 100-A, 305 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg, Va. 20175.
Details: The list is published on a space-available basis on the first Sunday of each month.