Fraud Plea A New York City man admitted in federal court in Baltimore yesterday that he and others defrauded testing services and academic programs across the country by taking admissions examinations while posing as clients who paid about $3,000 each.

Lu Xu, 35, pleaded guilty to mail and wire fraud and was sentenced to 27 months in prison followed by three years of probation. He is the second defendant to plead guilty in connection with the scheme.

Six alleged conspirators, including Xu, were named in an indictment returned last July. From 1999 to 2003, Xu and the other defendants offered the service while operating under the guise of a legitimate tutoring service, prosecutors said. Almost 600 standardized examinations were taken by the imposters, they said.

Exporting Case An Iranian citizen was sentenced in Baltimore yesterday to almost five years in prison for trying to export aircraft parts and components for F-4 and F-14 fighters, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Abbas Tavakolian, 58, of Tehran pleaded guilty in April to attempting to export munitions from the United States to Iran. He was sentenced to 57 months in prison.

According to a statement of facts in the case, in July 2004, Tavakolian transferred about $6,000 from Panama to the United States to acquire the aircraft parts. He began making deals with undercover agents, and agreed to meet the agents in the South Pacific to acquire the parts for use by the Iranian military, according to court documents. He was arrested in December after a meeting with undercover agents.



* An unidentified man was fatally shot about 11:25 a.m. yesterday in the 1200 block of Meigs Place NE, D.C. police said. The man, whose identity is being withheld pending notification of his relatives, was pronounced dead at Washington Hospital Center, police said.


Diners Assaulted Three males, wearing red bandanas, robbed and pistol-whipped three people as they were leaving a Woodbridge restaurant Tuesday night, Prince William County police spokesman John Bogert said.

Police said the victims, patrons of Romano's Macaroni Grill, did not know their attackers. Witnesses told police that the attackers appeared to be 15 to 20 years old, and detectives are trying to determine whether the incident was gang-related.

The assailants stole an unknown amount of cash and $160 worth of property, Bogert said. The victims were treated for scratches and cuts on their faces and heads.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.