A Waldorf man died Monday night in a motorboat accident on the Patuxent River, a mile south of the Route 231 bridge.

Cpl. Ken Turner of the Maryland Natural Resources Police said Gregory Allen Bucklew, 31, crashed the 20-foot powerboat about 10:45 p.m. into a commercial fishing trap and was thrown into the river with two passengers: Jessica Faye Davis and Robert Daniel Burns, both 26.

The two were rescued by another passenger, Jesse Johnson, who jumped into the water to help Davis, his girlfriend, and Burns, his friend. Turner said that when the other passengers couldn't find Bucklew they called 911.

The Charles County dive team located Bucklew at the bottom of the river about 1:20 a.m. Tuesday. The medical examiner ruled that his death was a result of trauma and drowning. Davis and Burns were flown to the University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. Davis was eventually discharged, and Burns was listed in serious condition Tuesday, the nursing administrator said.

Johnson and two other passengers -- Sheri Ann Burns and Ashley Christine Thorne -- were transported by ambulance to Calvert Memorial Hospital, according to the Natural Resources police. The three were later released.

The group had left a public dock at Hallowing Point about 7:30 p.m., setting out for the Fourth of July celebration down the river in Solomons, said Chris Lumpkins, a roommate of Robert Burns's. The boaters apparently were returning from Solomons when the accident occurred.

Lumpkins said Burns is a heating, ventilation and air-conditioning technician who goes to church and doesn't drink.

"It's not like he deserved this," Lumpkins said.

Bucklew's grandfather, George W. Bucklew Sr., woke up Tuesday morning to find his daughter sitting quietly on the steps of his Allegany County house. She had not wanted to wake him with the news that his grandson had died.

George Bucklew said his grandson was an electrician apprentice and a "fine young man."

"The thing I'm going to miss more than anything is that he was the last surviving member to carry on our family name," he said. "We don't know what's going to happen from now on."

The cause of the accident is under investigation. Turner did not know whether the boaters had been wearing life jackets or drinking alcohol. Turner said the net that the boat hit had been properly marked and lighted.

Maryland regulations require that the large traps be illuminated so that they are visible from a mile in all directions on a clear night.

Staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.