SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective, for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
RIVER CONCERT SERIES -- 5 p.m. tomorrow, grounds open; 7 p.m., concert begins. The American Songbook II. Larry Vote, guest conductor. Guest artists: Katherine Wessinger, soprano; Jeanette Blakeney, mezzo-soprano; and Chris Willis, baritone. Townhouse Green at St. Mary's College of Maryland. Free. Food vendors on site. 240-895-3038 or www.riverconcertseries.com.
BAY BREEZE SUMMER CONCERTS -- 7:30 p.m. July 14. Presented by the Friends of the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum. "Blues Times Two" -- a piano and guitar duo performing blues, ballads and pop songs. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892.
AIR NATIONAL GUARD BAND -- noon-1:30 p.m. tomorrow. On the Town Square, historic downtown Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-9791
TREASURE TRIP -- 10 a.m.-11:45 a.m. next Thursday. For ages 8-12. Learn about the treasures the museum can hold. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892.
FAMILY OUTDOOR SAFETY DAY -- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. tomorrow. Children can learn about summer health, how to do basic first aid, livestock and animal safety, and preventing accidents in and around the home from lawn mowers, bicycles, farm equipment and ATVs. Free health screening available for adults. St. Mary's County office, Maryland Cooperative Extension, Peabody Street, Leonardtown. $5 a child; $10 for a family. 301-475-4484.
CHILDREN'S SUMMER PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES -- Presented on Mondays (except July 9) by the St. Mary's County Library. Free. Made possible in part by a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council.
* 10 a.m. Charlotte Hall library, at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home, 29449 Charlotte Hall Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 12:30 p.m. Leonardtown library, at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, 25550 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 3 p.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
Saturday, "The Mike Rose Magic Show."
Monday, "Flumpa and Friends," award-winning performer and science educator Wendy Whitten and her frog present energetic musical science adventures.
July 18, "Animal Odyssey," with Ray Owen.
July 25, "Bill Jenkins' Jungle Drums," a variety of percussion instruments and jungle rhythms.
Aug. 1, "The Wizard of Oz," performed by Stevens Puppets.
Aug. 8, "Sign Language Safari," with Kathy McMillan.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays through Aug. 8. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. 301-475-2846.
* 9:15 a.m. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10 a.m. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- 9:05 a.m. Tuesdays through Aug. 9. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays through Aug. 8. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. Made possible through a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council with matching funds from Target Corp. 301-475-2846. Free.
* 9:45 or 10:30 a.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10:30 a.m., Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- 9:30 and 10 a.m. Tuesdays through Aug. 9. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
SUMMER STORY TIMES -- At Calvert library branches. Free. No registration required.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays, Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd. , Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
SUMMER FUN FEATURING FLUMPA AND THE STEVENS PUPPETS -- Free. Program sponsored by Calvert Library.
* 10 a.m. Tuesday, Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2554.
* 2 p.m. Tuesday, Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department, 3170 W. Ward Rd., Dunkirk. 301-855-8895.
* 10 a.m. Wednesday, Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-1101.
* 2 p.m. Wednesday, Prince Frederick Rescue Squad, 755 Solomons Island Rd. south, Prince Frederick. 410-535-9836.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Throughout the summer at various locations. Free.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
AFTERNOON KIDS' CLUB -- Throughout the summer at various locations. Free.
* 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 1:30 p.m., Thursdays, La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
WEAVING WITH FOUND MATERIALS -- 2-5 p.m. Sunday. The Calvert Spinners and Weavers will demonstrate techniques for weaving with plant materials and yarns. Take a walk to gather grasses, vines and other objects to work with. Open to all ages. Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, 10515 Mackall Rd., St. Leonard. Free. 410-586-8501.
"CREATIVE MINDS" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, tomorrow through Aug. 7. Presented by Mattawoman Creek Art Center. Artists include Southern Maryland Wood Carvers, Worcester Street Art Club, Jim Pollock and Patrick Bright. Wine and cheese reception, 1-4 p.m. Sunday; 2 p.m., Gallery Talk. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, located in Smallwood State Park, off Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson (drawings and other works) and Colleen Sabo (watercolors). Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
MAGINEERING 2005: THE MAGIC BACKSTAGE -- Open to the public during college business hours, through Aug. 1. Props, scenery, set designs, renderings and photographs from CSM Theatre Company productions, including "The King and I," "Amahl and the Night Visitors," "Blithe Spirit" and "Pied Piper." College of Southern Maryland, Tony Hungerford Memorial Gallery, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828, 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828, or www.csmd.edu/finearts/galleries.
PAINT THE TOWN -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday and Aug. 14. Members of the ArtWorks@7th artists cooperative will be creating works in their media at two locations in North Beach. Outside of Nice and Fleazy Antique Store, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, and on the porch at Westlawn Restaurant, Seventh Street and Chesapeake Avenue. 410-286-2928 or 410-326-9473.
SHARKFEST! -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Activities planned to educate visitors on the shark. This annual day-long event features fossil identifications, fossil prep lab demonstrations, children's craft activities, rowboat and canoe rides, and plenty of games. Opportunities include helping to paint a shark mural, face painting, mini-fin toss and a feed-the-shark beanbag toss. CMM exhibitions include "Treasure From the Cliffs" and a skeletal reconstruction of a giant "megatooth" white shark. At 5 p.m., the U.S. Air National Guard Band of the Mid-Atlantic will perform a free concert. Take a lawn chair or blankets for seating. Calvert Marine Museum, 14150 Solomons Island Rd., Solomons. Adults, $7; seniors, $6; ages 5-12, $2; 4 and younger, free; members, free. Food court available. 410-326-2042, Ext. 41.
POINT FARM HOUSE TOURS -- 10 a.m.-noon. Saturday. Visit the grounds and the first floor of this 20th-century home, which was home to the late Jefferson Patterson's family. Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, Mackall Road, St. Leonard. $5 a person. 410-586-8501.
GUIDED CANOE TOURS -- 5-8 p.m. Saturday. Sunset trip around Parkers Creek. Reservations are required. Donations appreciated. American Chestnut Land Trust, Warrior's Rest, Scientist Cliffs, Port Republic. 410-586-1570, www.acltweb.org or email@example.com.
FAMILY NATURE DETECTIVES -- 10 a.m.-noon Saturday. Families search for clues such as animal tracks and learn to unravel nature's mysteries. Designed for families with children of all ages. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd., Lothian. Admission: adults, $3; seniors and ages 12-18, $2. Reservations required. 410-741-9330 or www.jugbay.org.
WATER AEROBICS -- 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Aug. 11. Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Group classes featuring low-impact, stretching, cardiovascular and resistance exercises. Swimming ability not required, but participants must be comfortable in the water. Lackey High School Indoor Pool, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd., Indian Head. $30 per course or $5 drop-in fee per class. 301-743-2470 or 301-753-6003.
ANNUAL AUCTION -- 5 p.m. July 15. Auction to benefit Special Olympics. Items include sports packages and memorabilia, golfing packages, handmade quilts, dinner cruises, automobile service packages, overnight trips, salon packages, health services, fitness packages, and dinner and lunch packages. Greater Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, 3090 Crain Hwy., Waldorf. $20 a person, includes registration and heavy hors d'oeuvres. 301-934-0105 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5105.
CASINO NIGHT -- 8 p.m.-2 a.m. July 15 and 16. Presented by Cobb Island Firehouse. Casino-style card games; food, beer and beverages sold. Supports the new Cobb Island firehouse and equipment fund. Cobb Island Firehouse, Cobb Island. Free admission. Must be 21 to enter. 301-259-0196, 301-259-0160 or 301-259-4258.
"MURDER ME ALWAYS" -- 7 p.m. July 16. Murder mystery dinner theater sponsored by St. John Vianney Catholic Church Family Life Center. Presented by Patuxent Playhouse. 105 Vianney Lane, Prince Frederick. $35. Call 410-414-9099 or order online at www.patuxentplayhouse.com.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
* July 30 to Philadelphia. Visit historic sites; lunch and shopping on your own. Registration and payment due by next Thursday. Call for departure times and locations. $53 a person. 301-934-9305 or 301-870-3388.
* Aug. 18 and 19 to the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse in Boiling Springs, Pa., on an overnight trip to see "Beauty and the Beast." Includes swimming and lunch aboard the Bay Lady in Baltimore. $240, single room; $210, double room. $100 deposit.
* Aug. 20, Rappahannock River cruise. Explore the history of the river on a 20-mile narrated cruise. Destination is the Ingleside Plantation Winery for a tour and tasting. Lunch included. $72 a person. Registration deadline is July 30. Call for departure options. 301-934-9305.
* Sept. 23 to Ireland. A 10-day, 14-meal trip. Blarney Stone, Dublin, Ring of Kerry castle, a medieval banquet, music and entertainment. $2,739 a person per double room; single rooms, $3,239. 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD at 800-735-22583
* Oct. 3-6 to Wildwood, Atlantic City and Cape May, N.J. Four-day, three-night package includes accommodations, a Delta Lady banjo boat cruise, Midway slots and a buffet lunch. Double room, $330 a person; single room, $385 a person. $100 deposit; balance due by Aug. 23. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
* Nov. 11 to California. A nine-day, 10-meal trip to the coastline, including stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Yosemite National Park. $1,979 a person double occupancy; $2,579 singles. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. 410-586-1101.
* Aug. 3 and Oct. 8, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Spend a day in New York City sightseeing, shopping and dining. On-your-own agenda. All ages. $36 a person.
* Sept. 24, antiques shopping. Depart at 6 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 6:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Visit flea markets and antique shops in Adamstown, Pa. Adults only. $33.50 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- Aug. 31. The Restorers of Mount Carmel sponsor a coach trip to the Three Little Bakers Dinner Theatre in Wilmington, Del., to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Trip includes transportation, dinner, show and gratuity. Proceeds benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. $90. 301-645-5203.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* July 30. St. Mary's Animal Welfare League rummage sale to benefit its adoption center. Table/space, $10. Reserve a space at 301-863-2632 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
To Submit an Item
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.