The man accused of stabbing a 24-year-old woman in a vicious attack halted by neighbors was ordered held without bond yesterday by a D.C. Superior Court judge.

Reginald Jones, 21, said nothing during his brief appearance before Magistrate Judge Pamela Young Diaz. Jones is charged with assaulting and attempting to kill the woman in a drug-fueled rage about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday on a Northwest Washington street.

The victim was recovering yesterday at George Washington University Hospital, D.C. police said. Police declined to release her identity because she is a witness.

Jones was high on PCP while celebrating his birthday Tuesday when he spotted the woman walking in the 1400 block of Q Street NW, about two blocks from her home, police said. As he trailed her, he began to yell at her for "unknown reasons," police wrote in charging papers filed in court.

The woman began to run north on 15th Street NW and Jones sprinted after her, the charging documents state. Jones caught her at 15th and Corcoran streets NW, where he pulled out a knife and began to stab and beat her, police wrote. As she screamed, several neighbors rushed to her aid, police and residents said.

Two neighbors have described a frantic struggle to pull the assailant off the woman and pin him to the ground. One man even jumped on top of her to shield her from the attacker's blows. The men eventually tackled Jones and held him until police arrived, authorities said.

The woman, badly bleeding and barely conscious, told police at the scene that she did not know Jones, according to the charging papers.

Police officials have said that the actions of the neighborhood residents led to Jones's arrest and probably saved the victim's life.

The woman, a Johns Hopkins University graduate, moved to Washington two years ago. She was scheduled to begin classes soon at the London School of Economics, her grandmother has said.

After his arrest, Jones was taken to Howard University Hospital, where he was treated for severe cuts to his hands and fingers, police said. He suffered injuries because he struck the woman so forcefully, the charging documents said.

Jones's hands and several of his fingers were bandaged yesterday. He appeared in court wearing what appeared to be hospital scrubs and plastic slippers.

A report prepared for the court by the D.C. Pretrial Services Agency said that Jones tested positive for drugs after his arrest. The report also said that Jones acknowledged using drugs within the past month. Jones, of the 2700 block of Bruce Place SE, most recently worked at a fast-food restaurant, the report said.

Police have said that Jones has no record of violence. The judge set a follow-up hearing for next Friday.