Gail Lawan Speight

Disc Jockey, Mechanic

Gail Lawan Speight, 48, a former radio disc jockey and an auto mechanic, died July 3 of complications associated with diabetes at Christiana Care Health System Hospital in Newark, Del. She was a Newark resident.

Mrs. Speight was born in Washington and graduated from Ballou High School in 1974. She began working as a disc jockey at radio station WOL-AM in the late 1970s and worked there for about five years. WOL, at the time, was a soul music station. In the mid-1980s, she moved to Baltimore and then to Newark and worked for various garages as a mechanic.

Her marriage to Warren Speight ended in divorce.

Survivors include her daughter, Kimberly Speight of Newark; her father, Lawrence Warren, and her stepmother, Joanne Warren, both of Washington; a brother, Lawrence Warren Jr. of Washington; two sisters, Nancy Warren Andrews of Laurel and Angela Warren Green of Bryans Road; a stepbrother, Ernest Brown of Gaithersburg; and two stepsisters, Margaret Brown Bennett of Clinton and Debra Brown Kinsey of Waldorf.

Edwin Esar Segall

Foreign Service Officer

Edwin Esar Segall, 81, a Foreign Service officer with the State Department, died July 4 of a heart attack at Holy Cross Hospital. He had lived in Washington for nearly 50 years before moving to Kensington last year.

Mr. Segall joined the Foreign Service in 1948 and served in Sweden, Romania, Yugoslavia and Indonesia, rising to deputy chief of mission.

In 1975, he joined the U.S. Agency for International Development. He traveled widely throughout Africa and lived in Mali, where he worked on projects to improve living conditions. He retired from government service in the early 1980s.

Mr. Segall was born in Omaha and graduated from Creighton University in Omaha. During World War II, he served in the Army and was awarded the Bronze Star. He was discharged with the rank of captain. After the war, he received a master's degree in economics from the University of Chicago.

He was an assistant Boy Scout scoutmaster with Troop 100 in Washington and served on committees of the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts. He volunteered for Common Cause and Youth for Understanding, an international group to promote leadership, and tutored adults in literacy.

Mr. Segall was an avid golfer and was a member of Lakewood Country Club in Rockville. In addition to English, he spoke Yugoslav, Romanian, Indonesian, Swedish, German and French. He read widely in history, political science and Jewish history. He loved dogs and had a series of miniature schnauzers.

His wife of 49 years, Jo-Ann Butters Segall, died in 2003.

Survivors include three children, Jeffrey Segall of New Rochelle, N.Y., Lewis Segall of Berkeley, Calif., and Becky Segall of Chevy Chase; one sister; and five grandchildren.

Alfred William Edel

Voice of America Broadcaster

Al Edel, 70, a veteran television newsman and Voice of America anchorman, died July 3 of cancer at a hospice in St. George, Utah. He was a former resident of Falls Church.

He was born Alfred William Edel in Buffalo. He received his undergraduate degree from the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio, in 1957 and a master's degree in communications from Syracuse University in 1959.

He worked as a reporter for radio station WKBW in Buffalo before joining the American Forces Network in Europe as a news writer and news anchor. He was based in Frankfurt. He left AFN in Europe in 1966 to become a national news anchorman for ABC Radio News in New York.

Eager to try television, he left ABC in 1970 to become the prime-time news anchor at KSFY-TV in Sioux Falls, S.D., where he became well-known for his community involvement.

In 1980, he joined the Washington staff of ABC's "Good Morning America" as a news writer. He moved to the Voice of America in 1982, where he was a news anchorman, broadcasting news on the hour via shortwave. He retired from the Voice of America in 1997 and moved to St. George in 2001.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Lee Edel of St. George; two sons, Tod Edel of Dallas and Scot Edel of Austin; and three grandchildren.

John M. Huffner

Property Manager

John M. Huffner, 78, an Arlington resident who owned a property management company in Pennsylvania, died June 26 of multiple myeloma, a blood cancer, at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Huffner moved to Arlington in 1972 with his wife, who worked with the government. Since the early 1960s, he had been the owner of HuHe Corp., a property management company with a specialty in renovating historic buildings. He continued to operate the company from Arlington until his retirement in 1995.

Mr. Huffner was born in Butler, Pa., and worked in his family's bakery while growing up. He served in the Army in Europe during and immediately after World War II. He stayed in Europe for two years as a civilian in the late 1940s, operating a bakery in Vienna for U.S. military personnel.

In the early 1950s, he moved to Fort Myers Beach, Fla., and opened one of the first nightclubs in the area. He returned to Pennsylvania in the early 1960s.

He was a member of St. Ann Catholic Church in Arlington. He enjoyed gardening and walking and rose early each morning to walk on the Washington and Old Dominion Trail. He collected thousands of abandoned baseballs and other items from fields near the trail to donate to charity.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Elizabeth Huffner of Arlington; two stepsons, Paul Baker of Arlington and Larry Baker of Chantilly; a brother; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Emily C. Gorman

WAC Director

Emily C. Gorman, 96, the sixth director of the Women's Army Corps, died of a brain hemorrhage July 4 at Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, Fla., after a fall.

Col. Gorman led the WACs from 1962 to 1966, a time when the first WAC officers were assigned to Vietnam and when the rule requiring that WACs be discharged for getting married was eliminated.

At her retirement party at Fort Myer in 1966, she was described as "a stand-up-and-be-counted kind of woman," and she called her military years "the most wonderful 24 years a woman could ever have," according to an article in The Washington Post.

Col. Gorman, a native of Pulaski, N.Y., graduated from Cornell University. She taught high school for a few years and then enlisted in the military in 1942. After World War II, she was part of the Allied control government in Berlin. Among her awards was the Distinguished Service Cross. She was also honored in 2000 with a chair at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial in Washington.

After retiring from the Army, she worked for the newly formed Office of Economic Opportunity in the Job Corps in Washington. She moved to Florida in 2000.

She had no immediate survivors.