SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective, for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
COURTYARD CONCERT SERIES -- noon, tomorrow. Pat Nutter, Randy Stillwell and Christine Tenney of the Mill Creek Trio -- country, bluegrass and originals. Bring a fold-up chair or blanket, and picnic with friends. Prince Frederick Courthouse lawn, Prince Frederick. Free. 410-257-7005 or visit www.calvertarts.org.
RIVER CONCERT SERIES -- 5 p.m. tomorrow, grounds open; 7 p.m., concert begins. The Young and the Gifted. Guest soloists: Catrin Finch, harp, and Olivia Vote, soprano. Townhouse Green at St. Mary's College of Maryland. Free. Food vendors on site. 240-895-3038 or www.riverconcertseries.com.
BAY BREEZE SUMMER CONCERTS -- 7:30 p.m. today. Presented by the Friends of the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum. "Blues Times Two" -- a piano and guitar duo performing blues, ballads and pop songs. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892.
SOAPSTONE CARVING WORKSHOP -- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Artist Jim Roaix will lead the workshop. Participants will carve a figure of a loon and receive another piece of soapstone to take home. Bring leather gloves, coarse and fine files and a brown bag lunch. For adults and children 12 and older. Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, Mackall Road, St. Leonard. $25. 410-586-8502.
TALENT SHOW -- 3 p.m. Saturday. This show for elementary school-age children is presented by Calvert Hospice in memory of Brianna Perry. Mary Harrison Cultural Arts Center, Owings. $5. 410-495-8494 or 410-535-0892.
CHILDREN'SSUMMER PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES -- Presented on Mondays by the St. Mary's County Library. Free. Made possible in part by a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council.
* 10 a.m. Charlotte Hall library, at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home, 29449 Charlotte Hall Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 12:30 p.m. Leonardtown library, at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, 25550 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 3 p.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
Monday, "Animal Odyssey," with Ray Owen.
July 25, "Bill Jenkins' Jungle Drums," a variety of percussion instruments and jungle rhythms.
Aug. 1, "The Wizard of Oz," performed by Stevens Puppets.
Aug. 8, "Sign Language Safari," with Kathy McMillan.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays through Aug. 8. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. 301-475-2846.
* 9:15 a.m. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10 a.m. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- 9:05 a.m. Tuesdays through Aug. 9. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays through Aug. 8. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. Made possible through a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council with matching funds from Target Corp. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html. Free.
* 9:45 or 10:30 a.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10:30 a.m., Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- 9:30 and 10 a.m. Tuesdays, through Aug. 9. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
SUMMER STORY TIMES -- At Calvert library branches. Free. No registration required.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays, Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd. , Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Throughout the summer at various locations. Free.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
AFTERNOON KIDS' CLUB -- Throughout the summer at various locations. Free.
* 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 1:30 p.m., Thursdays, La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"CREATIVE MINDS" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, tomorrow through Aug. 7. Presented by Mattawoman Creek Art Center. Artists include Southern Maryland Wood Carvers, Worcester Street Art Club, Jim Pollock and Patrick Bright. Wine and cheese reception, 1-4 p.m. Sunday; 2 p.m., Gallery Talk. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, located in Smallwood State Park, off Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson (drawings and other works) and Colleen Sabo (watercolors). Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
IMAGINEERING 2005: THE MAGIC BACKSTAGE -- Open to the public during college business hours, through Aug. 1. Props, scenery, set designs, renderings and photographs from CSM Theatre Company productions, including "The King and I," "Amahl and the Night Visitors," "Blithe Spirit" and "Pied Piper." College of Southern Maryland, Tony Hungerford Memorial Gallery, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828, 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828, or www.csmd.edu/finearts/galleries.
WATER AEROBICS -- 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Aug. 11. Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Group classes featuring low-impact, stretching, cardiovascular and resistance exercises. Swimming ability not required, but participants must be comfortable in the water. Lackey High School Indoor Pool, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd., Indian Head. $30 per course or $5 drop-in fee per class. 301-743-2470 or 301-753-6003.
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN -- 8 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. This splashy musical is based on the 1952 film that starred Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. The romantic comedy about a 1920s silent screen studio's transition to "talkies" features many popular classics, including "Good Mornin'," "You Are My Lucky Star" and "Singin' in the Rain." Port Tobacco Players Theater, 508 E. Charles St., La Plata. $15; seniors and youths, $12. 301-932-6819.
ARTS ALIVE -- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. July 23. The Wilde Women Artists Group and the Newtowne Players at Three Notch Theatre invite children 6-16 to an art workshop. Create artwork and take home to frame. The art workshop at Hickory Hills North Clubhouse, 22501 Iverson Dr., Great Mills. $15. 301-863-8271.
"GODSPELL" -- Opens July 29. Runs through Aug. 28. 8 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays; 3 p.m. Sundays. Presented by the Black Box Theatre in the Indian Head Center for the Arts. Adults, $18; seniors and students, $15. Proceeds from a special benefit performance and pre-show cocktail buffet July 30 (tickets are $100) will be contributed to the Conservancy for Charles County to further conservation along the county's rivers and streams and to help preserve forests and farmland. Black Box Theater, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Box office, 301-743-3040; tickets by phone, 800-494-8497; online at www.floatingtheatre.org, click on Buy Tickets.
GENEALOGICAL WORKSHOP -- 1-4 p.m. July 23. Hosted by Southern Maryland Studies Center and Charles County Genealogical Society. Research your ancestors at the College of Southern Maryland. Receive in-depth knowledge of resources and tips. La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-645-7439.
TIDEWATER ARCHAEOLOGY WEEKEND -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. July 30 and 31. Discover and identify bits of the past at the excavation site of Garrett Van Sweringen's colonial inn and coffee house. Tours of the laboratory and the historic town center. Learn how Historic St. Mary's City is reconstructing the past. Adults, $7.50; seniors, $5; and students and children 6-12, $3.50. 240-895-4990 or visit www.stmaryscity.org
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
* July 30 to Philadelphia. Visit historic sites; lunch and shopping on your own. Registration and payment due by next Thursday. Call for departure times and locations. $53 a person. 301-934-9305 or 301-870-3388.
* Aug. 18 and 19 to the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse in Boiling Springs, Pa., on an overnight trip to see "Beauty and the Beast." Includes swimming and lunch aboard the Bay Lady in Baltimore. $240, single room; $210, double room. $100 deposit.
* Aug. 20, Rappahannock River cruise. Explore the history of the river on a 20-mile narrated cruise. Destination is the Ingleside Plantation Winery for a tour and tasting. Lunch included. $72 a person. Registration deadline is July 30. Call for departure options. 301-934-9305.
* Sept. 23 to Ireland. A 10-day, 14-meal trip. Blarney Stone, Dublin, Ring of Kerry castle, a medieval banquet, music and entertainment. $2,739 a person per double room; single rooms, $3,239. 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD at 800-735-22583
* Oct. 3-6 to Wildwood, Atlantic City and Cape May, N.J. Four-day, three-night package includes accommodations, a Delta Lady banjo boat cruise, Midway slots and a buffet lunch. Double room, $330 a person; single room, $385 a person. $100 deposit; balance due by Aug. 23. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
* Nov. 11 to California. A nine-day, 10-meal trip to the coastline, including stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Yosemite National Park. $1,979 a person double occupancy; $2,579 singles. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. 410-586-1101.
* Aug. 3 and Oct. 8, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Spend a day in New York City sightseeing, shopping and dining. On-your-own agenda. All ages. $36 a person.
* Sept. 24, antiques shopping. Depart at 6 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 6:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Visit flea markets and antique shops in Adamstown, Pa. Adults only. $33.50 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- Aug. 31. The Restorers of Mount Carmel sponsor a coach trip to the Three Little Bakers Dinner Theatre in Wilmington, Del., to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Trip includes transportation, dinner, show and gratuity. Proceeds benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. $90. 301-645-5203.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* July 30. St. Mary's Animal Welfare League rummage sale to benefit its adoption center. Table/space, $10. Reserve a space at 301-863-2632 or email@example.com.
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.