WESTERN DANCING -- 7:30 p.m.-midnight Saturday. Presented by the Southern Maryland Country Western Dance Association. Smoke-free dance. Open to public. Brandywine firehouse, 14201 Brandywine Rd., Brandywine. Members, $8; nonmembers, $10. 301-645-0779.
SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective, for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
FAMILY BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7 p.m. today. Parents and children in grades 4-6 will discuss "King of Shadows," by Susan Cooper. First 15 families to register receive a free book. Calvert Library, Fairview branch, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. Free. 410-247-2101.
GENEALOGICAL WORKSHOP -- 1-4 p.m. Saturday. Hosted by Southern Maryland Studies Center and Charles County Genealogical Society. Participants will receive tips and gain in-depth knowledge of resources for researching ancestors. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-645-7439.
THE JUNGLE BOOK -- Tuesday: 10 a.m., Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach; 2 p.m. , Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department, 3170 W. Ward Rd., Dunkirk. Wednesday:10 a.m. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Way, Lusby; 2 p.m. Prince Frederick Rescue Squad, 755 Solomons Island Rd., Prince Frederick. Sponsored by the Calvert Library, featuring Chesapeake Youth Players. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
ARTS ALIVE -- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. The Wylde Women Artists Groupand the Newtowne Players at Three Notch Theatre invite children 6-16 to an art workshop. Kids can create artwork and take it home to frame. The art workshop is at Hickory Hills North Clubhouse, 22501 Iverson Dr., Great Mills. $15. 301-863-8271.
CHILDREN'S SUMMER PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES -- Presented on Mondays by the St. Mary's County Library. Free. Made possible in part by a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council.
* 10 a.m. Charlotte Hall library, at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home, 29449 Charlotte Hall Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 12:30 p.m. Leonardtown library, at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, 25550 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 3 p.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
Monday, "Bill Jenkins' Jungle Drums," a variety of percussion instruments and jungle rhythms.
Aug. 1, "The Wizard of Oz," performed by Stevens Puppets.
Aug. 8, "Sign Language Safari," with Kathy McMillan.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays, through Aug. 8. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. 301-475-2846.
* 9:15 a.m. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10 a.m. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- 9:05 a.m. Tuesdays, through Aug. 9. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Offered Mondays, through Aug. 8. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. Made possible through a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council with matching funds from Target Corp. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html. Free.
* 9:45 or 10:30 a.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10:30 a.m., Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- 9:30 and 10 a.m. Tuesdays, through Aug. 9. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
SUMMER STORY TIMES -- At Calvert library branches. Free. No registration required.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays, Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
AFTERNOON KIDS' CLUB -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 1:30 p.m., Thursdays, La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson (drawings and other works) and Colleen Sabo (watercolors). Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
IMAGINEERING 2005: THE MAGIC BACKSTAGE -- Open to the public during college business hours, through Aug. 1. Props, scenery, set designs, renderings and photographs from CSM Theatre Company productions, including "The King and I," "Amahl and the Night Visitors," "Blithe Spirit" and "Pied Piper." College of Southern Maryland, Tony Hungerford Memorial Gallery, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828, 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828, or www.csmd.edu/finearts/galleries.
WATER AEROBICS -- 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, through Aug. 11. Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Group classes featuring low-impact, stretching, cardiovascular and resistance exercises. Swimming ability not required, but participants must be comfortable in the water. Lackey High School Indoor Pool, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd., Indian Head. $30 per course or $5 drop-in fee per class. 301-743-2470 or 301-753-6003.
OPEN MIC -- 7-8:30 p.m. today. A chance to present poetry, music, prose or comedy. Calvert Library, Prince Frederick branch, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN -- 8 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. This musical is based on the 1952 film that starred Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds. The romantic comedy is about a 1920s silent screen studio's transition to "talkies" and features many classics, including "Good Mornin'," "You Are My Lucky Star" and "Singin' in the Rain." Port Tobacco Players Theater, 508 E. Charles St., La Plata. $15; seniors and youths, $12. 301-932-6819.
NATIONAL NIGHT OUT -- 6-8 p.m. Aug. 2. Neighborhoods in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties will be participating. Designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, generate support, strengthen neighborhood spirit -- and demonstrate to criminals that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back against crime. For information in Calvert, call 410-535-3733; in Charles, call 301-932-3080; and in St. Mary's, call 301-475-4200, Ext. 1900.
"GODSPELL" -- Opens July 29. Runs through Aug. 28. 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 3 p.m. Sundays. Presented by the Black Box Theatre in the Indian Head Center for the Arts. Adults, $18; seniors and students, $15. Proceeds from a special benefit performance and pre-show cocktail buffet July 30 (tickets are $100) will be contributed to the Conservancy for Charles County to further conservation along the county's rivers and streams and to help preserve forests and farmland. Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Box office, 301-743-3040; tickets by phone, 800-494-8497; online at www.floatingtheatre.org, click on Buy Tickets.
TIDEWATER ARCHAEOLOGY WEEKEND -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. July 30 and 31. Discover and identify bits of the past at the excavation site of Garrett Van Sweringen's colonial inn and coffee house. Tours of the laboratory and the historic town center show how Historic St. Mary's City is reconstructing the past. Adults, $7.50; seniors, $5; and students and children 6-12, $3.50. 240-895-4990 or visit www.stmaryscity.org.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
* Aug. 18 and 19 to the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse in Boiling Springs, Pa., on an overnight trip to see "Beauty and the Beast." Includes swimming and lunch aboard the Bay Lady in Baltimore. $240, single room; $210, double room. $100 deposit.
* Aug. 20, Rappahannock River cruise. A 20-mile narrated cruise explores the river's history. Destination is the Ingleside Plantation Winery for a tour and tasting. Lunch included. $72 a person. Registration deadline is July 30. Call for departure options. 301-934-9305.
* Oct. 3-6 to Wildwood, Atlantic City and Cape May, N.J. Four-day, three-night package includes accommodations, a Delta Lady banjo boat cruise, Midway slots and a buffet lunch. Double room, $330 a person; single room, $385 a person. $100 deposit; balance due by Aug. 23. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
* Nov. 11 to California. A nine-day, 10-meal trip to the coastline, including stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Yosemite National Park. $1,979 a person double occupancy; $2,579 singles. 301-934-9315, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service at 711 or TDD at 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. 410-586-1101.
* Aug. 3 and Oct. 8, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. A day in New York City sightseeing, shopping and dining. All ages. $36 a person.
* Sept. 24, antiques shopping. Departure at 6 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 6:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Visits to flea markets and antique shops in Adamstown, Pa. Adults only. $33.50 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- Aug. 31. The Restorers of Mount Carmel sponsor a coach trip to the Three Little Bakers Dinner Theatre in Wilmington, Del., to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Trip includes transportation, dinner, show and gratuity. Proceeds benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. $90. 301-645-5203.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* July 30. St. Mary's Animal Welfare League rummage sale to benefit its adoption center. Table/space, $10. Reserve a space at 301-863-2632 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.