Carlson M. "Biff" LeGrand, 59, a rear admiral who was the Navy's former deputy judge advocate general, the second-highest legal officer in the Navy, died July 16 of a heart attack at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Montclair.

Rear Adm. LeGrand entered the Navy as an ensign in 1968 and served off the coast of South Vietnam as gunnery officer, navigator and operations officer of the USS Hassayampa, a Navy oiler. He entered the Naval Reserve in 1971 and attended the California Western School of Law in San Diego. After graduating in 1974, he was in private practice in La Jolla, Calif., for three years.

In 1977, he returned to active duty in the Navy as a member of the Judge Advocate General's Corps and attended the Naval Justice School in Newport, R.I. He served in the Naval Legal Service Office in Guam from 1977 to 1979 and as a legal officer at the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River from 1979 to 1982.

After receiving a master of laws degree from Georgetown University in 1983, Rear Adm. LeGrand served three years at the Pentagon as special assistant for military law to the assistant secretary of the Navy for manpower and reserve affairs. He spent three years at Pearl Harbor before returning to Washington in 1989 as director of legal counsel in the Bureau of Naval Personnel. In 1992, he was named commanding officer of the Naval Legal Service Office Southwest in San Diego.

In 1994, while serving at the Pentagon, he was promoted to rear admiral and appointed deputy judge advocate general. At the same time, he held the dual office of commander of the Naval Legal Service Command. He retired from the Navy in 1997.

His military decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal for "exceptional meritorious service" that led to a "worldwide reorganization of the Naval Legal Services Command"; three awards of the Legion of Merit; and two awards of the Meritorious Service Medal.

In 1997 and 1998, Rear Adm. LeGrand held a civilian position as general counsel for the Navy's Fleet and Industrial Supply Center in San Diego. In 1998, he became a deputy attorney general for the California Department of Justice in San Diego, a position he held until 2003. At the time of his death, he was a legal adviser to the deputy administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration in Washington.

From 1997 to 2003, he served as legal and military technical consultant to the CBS television shows "JAG" and "NCIS."

Rear Adm. LeGrand was born in Hollywood and was an honors graduate of the University of Southern California. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Christine Heffern LeGrand of Montclair; two children, Matthew LeGrand of Montclair and Navy Lt. j.g. Courtney Hillson of Virginia Beach; a brother; and two sisters.

Carlson LeGrand was second in command in the Navy JAG Corps.