Patricia Anne Boyle

Computer Programmer

Patricia Anne Newman Boyle, 46, a senior computer programmer for Verizon Communications, died of complications from cancer July 17 at Georgetown University Hospital. She was a resident of Laurel.

Ms. Boyle worked for Verizon and its predecessors, Bell Atlantic and the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., for 27 years, starting as an information manager in 1977.

She was born in Ellsworth, Maine, and moved to Rockville in 1968. She graduated from Robert E. Peary High School in Rockville, Prince George's Community College and the University College of the University of Maryland.

A certified emergency medical technician, she volunteered with the Laurel Volunteer Rescue Service and with the Laurel Fire Department. She was also the fire department's newsletter editor. She was a blood donor for many years.

Her marriage to Paul Gilbertz ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of five years, Walter Neal Boyle of Laurel; two children from her first marriage, Matthew P. Gilbertz and Stephanie M. Gilbertz, both of Laurel; two stepdaughters, Amanda Helm and Sarah Boyle, both of Arbutus, Md.; three brothers, David M. Newman of Sachse, Tex., Paul R. Newman of Smithsburg, Md., and Mark G. Newman of Germantown; and her parents, Irwin G. and MaryEllen Newman, both of Silver Spring.

Janet Ellen Brown

Graphic Designer

Janet Ellen Brown, 59, a graphic designer, died of complications of dementia on July 20, at Solomons Nursing Center in Solomons, where she lived.

Ms. Brown was a Cheverly native, a 1964 graduate of Springbrook High School and a 1969 interior architecture graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design.

She subsequently lived in Massachusetts and worked in the design field and in the development office of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She returned to the Rhode Island school to study graphic design, graduated with a second degree, and worked as a staff graphic designer at the school for five years.

She moved to Newport, R.I., where she worked at Newport Collaborative Architects. She became a staff assistant to the president of Salve Regina University in Newport and a freelance graphic designer.

She retired in 2002 due to illness and returned to the Washington area.

Survivors include an adopted daughter, Joslyn Brown of Solomons; and two sisters, Suzanne Patterson of California, Md., and Alice Pope of Woodbine.

John Raymond Hanrahan Jr.

Logistics Specialist

John Raymond Hanrahan Jr., 75, an Army sergeant who used his logistical expertise in a second career with the telephone company, died July 20 of a heart attack at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Hanrahan was born in Littlestown, Pa., and moved with his family to Alexandria in his youth. After graduating from George Washington High School, he joined the Army in 1946.

He served 22 years in the Quartermaster Corps, including two tours of duty in Vietnam, before retiring with the rank of staff sergeant in 1968.

He then spent 20 years with the old Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. in logistics management, retiring in 1988.

He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Yukiko Hanrahan of Alexandria; three children, James Hanrahan of Fredericksburg, Michael Hanrahan of Chantilly and Linda Davis of Woodbridge; three brothers, Lawrence Hanrahan of Littlestown and Ronald Hanrahan and Robert Hanrahan, both of Alexandria; and five grandchildren.

Marion M. Gaffney

Administrative Assistant

Marion M. Gaffney, 96, a homemaker and former administrative assistant to the principal at Thomas S. Stone Elementary School in Mount Rainier, died July 21 of pneumonia at Brooke Grove Retirement Village in Sandy Spring. She was a former resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Gaffney was born in Scranton, Pa., and attended Powell Business School in Scranton. She moved to the District in 1939 and worked from 1939 to 1945 at the Railroad Retirement Board and the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

From 1946 to 1962, she worked as a homemaker. She was at Thomas S. Stone Elementary School from 1963 to 1976.

She was a member of Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Silver Spring and enjoyed oil painting and crossword puzzles.

Her husband, John Patrick Gaffney, died in 1992.

Survivors include two daughters, Mary M. Smith of Olney and Catherine G. Pinson of Boone, N.C.; two grandsons; and a great-grandson.

Jack Beckwith


Jack Beckwith, 79, a retired government pipefitter who volunteered as an athletics coach at the Lanham Boys Club, died July 23 at Inova Fairfax Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Beckwith, who had lived in Fairfax since 1979, was a Washington native and graduate of McKinley Tech High School.

He entered the Navy during World War II and served as an engineer in the Pacific Theater.

He returned to Washington after the war and became a member of Local 5 of the pipefitters union. In the 1960s, he joined the Government Printing Office, where he worked as a pipefitter for about 25 years until his retirement in the early 1990s.

He volunteered as a boxing, baseball and football coach at the Lanham Boys Club.

He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Moose and the American Legion.

His marriage to Mildred Lee Beckwith ended in divorce. A son from that marriage, Daniel Lee Beckwith, died in 1974.

Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Frances Rose Beckwith of Fairfax; two sons from his first marriage, Jack Randolph Beckwith of Leonardtown and Timothy Edward Beckwith of Hollywood, Md.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Margaret Ann Cook

Catholic Nun, Teacher

Margaret Ann Cook, 73, a Sisters of Mercy nun and English teacher, died July 16 at a nursing facility affiliated with her order's convent in Baltimore. She had cancer.

Sister Margaret Ann was born in Washington and graduated from the old Holy Trinity High School. She was a 1953 graduate of Mount St. Agnes College (later merged with Loyola University) in Baltimore. She received a master's degree in English from Catholic University in 1958.

Sister Margaret Ann entered the Sisters of Mercy in 1954 and took her final profession as a nun in 1960. Her religious name was Sister Mary Caritas.

She taught English at Mount St. Agnes in the mid-1950s and was on the faculty again from 1966 to 1971. She taught at Catholic high schools in Mobile, Ala., from 1963 to 1966 and from 1971 to 1973.

Sister Margaret Ann lived in Washington from 1974 to 1979 to take care of her parents. During that time, she also worked as a secretary at the Treasury Department.

She returned to teaching in 1980 at the Sacred Heart School in Baltimore. From 1982 to 1985, she was a driver and volunteer coordinator at Holy Family Convent in Randallstown, Md.

She returned to Washington from 1987 to 1989 to care for her family. From 1985 to 1987, and again from 1989 to 1994, she was an English instructor at the Learning Bank, a Baltimore adult education program.

She enjoyed following the Washington Redskins.

Survivors include two sisters, Mary Patricia Hill of Arlington and Jane Steinbauer of Reston.