Publication Aids Bikers
In Silver Spring Area
A new guide for cyclists details an extensive network of downtown Silver Spring bicycle routes. The guide, "Silver Spring Bikeways," also offers information on pedestrian routes, shops, restaurants and public transportation options in the area.
All county Ride On buses and Metrobuses have bike racks.
Free copies of "Silver Spring Bikeways" are available on the Web site www.montgomerycountymd.gov/commute or by calling 301-770-7665.
County on Aug. 2 Marks
Neighborhoods throughout Montgomery County will be participating next week in the Aug. 2 celebration of National Night Out, an event aimed at increasing neighborhood crime-prevention efforts.
Communities join in vigils and block parties to build community trust and spirit. The event, sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, also is an effort to improve relations between the communities and police.
The following communities have contacted county police as of July 25, about their Night Out events:
* 2nd District:
1. Rosemary Hills/Lyttonsville, Coffield Community Center, 2450 Lyttonsville Rd., 6:30-8:30 p.m. A movie will be screened outdoors from 8:30 to 10 p.m.
* 3rd District:
1. Flower Branch Apartments, 8628 Piney Branch Rd., 4-8 p.m.
2. Northwest Park, Southampton Drive, 5-8 p.m.
3. New Hampshire Estates, 8300 block Tahona Drive, 6-9 p.m.
4. Hillandale community, at two local swimming pools off New Hampshire Avenue, early evening hours.
5. Park Wayne Apts., Manchester Road and Manchester Place, Silver Spring, 6-8 p.m.
6. Forest Estates, General Getty Park, Belvedere Boulevard and Woodland Drive, 7-9 p.m.
7. Southwood, Forest Glen Road and Dallas Park, 7-8:45 p.m.
8. Northwood Four Corners Recreation Center, 211 Southwood Ave., 6:30 -9 p.m.
9. Indian Spring Recreation Center, Marshall Avenue, evening hours
* 4th District:
1. Olney Town Center, Spartan Road and Route 108, 5-8 p.m.
2. Crossway Community, 3015 Upton Dr., Kensington, 6-7 p.m.
3. Autumn Walk Community, the field at 14400 Astrodome Dr., 7:15 p.m. until nightfall.
4. Long Meade Crossing, Long Meade Crossing Road and Homecrest Road, 7-9 p.m.
5. North Gate Park, 14210 Grand Pre Rd., 6-8p.m.
* 5th District:
1. Seneca Cluster Police Sub-Station, 12839 Clopper Rd., 6-9 p.m.
* 6th District:
1. Emory Grove Village at Emory Grove Resource Center, 8107 Morning View Dr., 6:30-9 p.m.
2. Cider Mill Apartments, 18900 Lost Knife Cir. , 4-8 p.m.