Elizabeth 'Betty' Davis

Secretary, Volunteer

Elizabeth "Betty" Doris Davis, 85, a former "government girl" and secretary, homemaker and volunteer, died July 11 of a heart attack at her home in Lusby.

Born in Hell's Kitchen in New York City, she was one of eight children of Irish immigrants. After her father died in an industrial accident in 1923, she grew up on Long Island. She was the first of her siblings to graduate from high school, after her older siblings dropped out of school to support the family.

During World War II, she worked for the War Department in New York. She met her future husband, Harold "Spike" Davis, at a roller rink when he was a member of the Army Air Forces stationed at La Guardia Field.

After marrying, they moved to Bridgeport, W.Va., and in 1962, the family moved to Suitland, where Mrs. Davis was active in her children's PTAs. She resumed her government career in 1965, working in data entry for the Census Bureau and later in the library at the Naval Oceanographic Office. She retired in 1978.

In 1979, Mrs. Davis and her husband moved to their home on Mill Creek in Lusby. She worked at the Chesapeake Ranch Water Co. as a secretary and bookkeeper in the early 1980s and served as the membership chairman of the Drum Point Property Owners association. She also volunteered at the new Calvert Marine Museum.

She was active in the Aqua Squares square dancing group, the Senior Bowling League of Prince Frederick and the Chesapeake Hills Golf League. She practiced yoga and water aerobics, and in her later years, she was an enthusiastic member of the Do Nothing Club, a group of ladies who lunch.

She delivered Meals on Wheels, did literacy tutoring and was a member of Our Lady Star of the Sea Church in Solomons.

Survivors include her husband of nearly 60 years, of Lusby; five children, Mary Kay Davis of Arlington, Pat Welsh of Bethesda, Joan Wisnieski of Waldorf, Anne Marie Davis of Alexandria and Rick Davis of Seattle; a brother; and seven grandchildren.

Nicholas Raphael Falco III

Network Engineer

Nicholas Raphael Falco III, 22, a network engineer working on contract with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, died July 24 at Prince George's Hospital Center from injuries received that day in a traffic accident on Bensville Road near Pomfret. He was a passenger in a car in which two other young men also were killed.

Mr. Falco was born in Clinton and grew up in La Plata. He was a 2001 graduate of La Plata High School. He was part of a carpentry team from his high school's vocational educational program that built a house.

He volunteered to clean up debris after a tornado hit Charles County in 2002. He also worked with Christmas in April, a national volunteer organization that preserves and repairs homes in poor neighborhoods.

Mr. Falco had worked off and on for several years with Ledo Pizza in La Plata. From 2003 to 2004, he was a network engineer with Morgan Franklin Corp. in Waldorf and assisted in preparations for the 2004 G-8 summit meeting in Georgia.

Since April, he had been a contract network engineer for the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in Arlington.

Mr. Falco was a sports-car enthusiast and enjoyed racing his 1989 Toyota Supra at Maryland International Raceway in Mechanicsville. He was also a football fan.

Survivors include his mother, Pat Pruss of La Plata; his father, Nicholas R. Falco Jr. of Lusby; a sister, Adriana Falco of Arlington; and a grandmother, Carmella Falco of Glen Burnie.

Robert L. Witten

Navy Lieutenant Commander

Robert Lee Witten, 76, a Navy lieutenant commander who retired in 1974 and then worked 23 years as a mariner for private companies, including Lloyd's of London, died July 1 at a hospital in Las Vegas, his city of residence. He had emphysema.

Lt. Cmdr. Witten was born in Louisville and raised in Hyattsville, where he attended Hyattsville High School. He left school shortly before graduation to serve in the Navy in the closing months of World War II.

While on the submarine Bashaw in 1959, he dived into the South China Sea to rescue a sailor who had been washed overboard. That same year, he was commended for volunteering to dive under the Bashaw to remove a deep sea fishing net that ensnared the propeller.

In 1962, he was the ice navigation officer aboard the nuclear-powered submarine Seadragon when it rendezvoused with the submarine Skate at the North Pole. In 1963, he was commended for helping save the lives of sailors during a fire on the submarine Pomfret.

He later served in the Vietnam War and helped establish a navigation school in Hawaii. His final active-duty assignment, in 1974, was commander of the submarine-rescue ship Florikan.

His decorations included the Navy Commendation Medal.

A son, Mark Witten, died in 1988.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Anna Bennington Witten of Las Vegas; four children, Robert L. Witten Jr. of Hilo, Hawaii, Air Force Master Sgt. Shawn E. Witten of Goldsboro, N.C., and Catherine Meier and Sharon Chasteen, both of San Diego; three brothers, Donald E. Witten of Columbia, Walter L. Witten of Silver Spring and Charles X. Witten of North Myrtle Beach, S.C.; a sister, Rose M. Papaioannou of North Myrtle Beach; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Peter L. McCloud


Peter L. McCloud, 54, a lawyer and senior editor of the federal database project with Lexis-Nexis, died of cancer July 24 in Lexington, Va.

Mr. McCloud was born in the District and grew up in Arlington and Fairfax counties. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School in the District in 1969 and from the College of William and Mary, with honors, in 1973.

In 1974, he joined the General Services Administration, where he helped oversee renovations to the federal courthouse in Philadelphia and was a building services official at the Pentagon. He later became director of federal properties for the Western District of Virginia, based in Charlottesville.

He left government service in 1980 to attend the University of Virginia School of Law, where he received a law degree in 1983. He worked with the Virginia attorney general's office in the summer of 1982.

Mr. McCloud entered law practice in Charlottesville in 1983 with Charles Haugh. Two years later, he joined the law firm of Boyle, Bain & Downer, where he specialized in criminal and domestic legal cases. He joined Lexis-Nexis in 2000 and soon after moved to Lexington. With Lexis-Nexis, he was part of a special unit compiling federal appellate and state supreme court rulings.

Mr. McCloud was passionate about baseball and history. He followed the Washington Senators in the old days, switched to the Baltimore Orioles out of necessity and traveled to Philadelphia this year for the Washington Nationals' debut against the Phillies.

In college, he was a Russian history major and was deeply interested in the American Civil War -- or, as he called it, "the war of northern aggression."

Survivors include his wife of 19 years, Ruth S. Intress of Lexington; two children, Emily Clare McCloud and George Edmund McCloud, both of Lexington; his father and stepmother, George John McCloud and Anna McCloud of Falls Church; a brother, John Patrick McCloud of Voorhees, N.J.; and three sisters, Mary McCloud of Decatur, Ga., Anne Boyle of Denver and Maureen Roberts of Heathsville, Va.

G. Darrell Trundle

Lighting Technician, Stagehand

G. Darrell Trundle, 93, who worked in the 1960s as a lighting technician for WRC-TV and NBC Nightly News camera crews, died of congestive heart failure July 25 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington.

Mr. Trundle was born in Georgetown and attended the old Western High School. He graduated from the former National University Law School. He delivered ice in the 1930s for the American Ice Company. During World War II, he served in the Marines in Guam and Okinawa, Japan.

He operated a window shade and Venetian blind shop during the 1940s and 1950s. He also worked on crews for films being shot in the area, including "Advise and Consent" and "Seven Days in May." He was a third-generation stagehand, working in area theaters, including the National Theater, Carter Barron Amphitheater and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. He retired as a stagehand in 1982.

He was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and was a Mason.

His wife of 62 years, Frances M. "Mitzi" Trundle, died in 2001.

Survivors include a daughter, Lynn Trundle of Alexandria; and a sister, Margaret Boundford of Catonsville, Md.

Irene Rodriguez Carter

Genealogical Researcher

Irene Rodriguez Carter, 69, a genealogical researcher and a former Manassas resident, died of complications from arteriosclerosis June 29 at a hospital in Panama City, Fla.

Mrs. Carter enjoyed researching genealogy in cemeteries, courthouses and the National Archives. She was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Manassas.

She was born in Tampa and graduated from Florida State University as a home economist. She moved to Manassas in 1962 and to Panama City in 1992.

Survivors include her husband of 47 years, John H. Carter of Panama City; a daughter, Melissa Ann Carter of Alexandria; a son, F. Thomas Carter of Panama City; and two grandchildren.

Wade Charles Mangum

Quality Control Engineer

Wade Charles Mangum, 45, an engineer with the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, died June 28 at Inova Fairfax Hospital from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident two days earlier in Arlington.

Mr. Mangum, an Alexandria resident, was born in Arlington and graduated from Wakefield High School in 1977. He received an undergraduate degree in engineering science and mechanics from Virginia Tech in 1981 and a master's degree in mechanical engineering from Catholic University in 1993.

A certified professional engineer, he joined the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in 1990. At the time of his death, he was office manager in the office of quality control.

He was a motorcyclist who participated in the annual Rolling Thunder POW/MIA ride. He also was a gardener.

Survivors include his wife of 11 years, Laura Miller Mangum of Alexandria; two daughters, Rae Anne Mangum and Rachel Leigh Mangum, both of Alexandria; a stepdaughter, Jessica Marshall of Front Royal; his mother, Ruth S. Mangum of Dutton, Va.; and a brother, Scott R. Mangum of Bethesda.

Lt. Cmdr. Robert L. Witten received a Navy Commendation Medal.