Audree Miller Bauman


Audree Miller Bauman, 83, a Gaithersburg resident who was a founder and president of Bauman Bible Telecasts, a nonprofit communication service organization, died July 16 at her home in Cape Porpoise, Maine. She had dementia.

Mrs. Bauman and her then-husband, the Rev. Edward Bauman, a United Methodist minister, started the organization in 1967. Bauman Bible Telecasts, of which she was president and chief executive from 1980 to 1989, produced religious television programming and distributed it to churches, television stations, prisons and military bases.

Mrs. Bauman was born in Marion, Ohio, and came to Washington during World War II to work for the federal government in such jobs as secretary and administrative assistant at the Agriculture Department.

She lived in the Washington area from 1942 to 1994, mostly in Glen Echo Heights. In recent years, she split her time between homes at Cape Porpoise and at Asbury Methodist Village, a retirement community in Gaithersburg.

She was a past member of the Washington Choral Arts Society and a former member of the choir at the Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Deborah Bauman of Cape Porpoise, Kathleen Forte of Durham, N.C., and Mark Bauman of Carlisle, Pa.; and four grandchildren.

James H. 'Jack' Logan

Radio Broadcaster

James H. "Jack" Logan, 88, a former chief of the Africa division for the Voice of America radio service, died July 23 at Renaissance Gardens nursing facility at Greenspring Village in Springfield. The cause of death was vascular disease.

Mr. Logan, a Washington resident, was born in Staunton, Va. He got his start in radio at age 16, shortly after graduating from high school in 1932. His first job was at radio station WEHC in Charlottesville. In 1935, he joined WJAS in Pittsburgh, where he worked as an announcer, writer and producer.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1941 and was involved with public relations and recruiting before becoming a combat correspondent in the Pacific during World War II. After his discharge in 1945, he joined WMAL in Washington as manager of operations.

He joined Voice of America in 1956 as an executive producer. In 1957, he became chief of the Africa division and was responsible for direct shortwave broadcasts to African countries in English, French, Arabic and Swahili. He also recorded programs in those languages for placement throughout Africa and traveled throughout the continent. He retired in 1978.

In retirement, he produced "Traveler's Notebook," a daily syndicated radio program of travel tips, vacation advice and leisure-time information. He worked independently as a consultant for commercial radio stations and as a narrator and announcer for trade associations and public institutions. He also narrated audiotaped books for the visually impaired.

He was a member of the National Press Club and the U.S. Information Agency Alumni Association and was an amateur photographer. He and his wife, Vivian Logan, also traveled widely in Europe and Africa. She died in 2003.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

George Robert Mohrmann

Computer Programmer

George Robert Mohrmann, 44, a McLean business owner and computer programmer analyst, died July 24 of a head trauma after a boating accident on the Potomac River near Fredericksburg. He was a McLean resident.

Mr. Mohrmann dived off a boat in shallow water near Fairview Beach and did not resurface, an official with the King George County sheriff's office said. When friends pulled him out of the water, he was unconscious. He was declared dead at the scene.

Mr. Mohrmann ran his own company, GrabMor Technologies. He previously had worked for a number of technology companies.

Born in Frankfurt, Germany, he grew up in the Washington area, graduating from Mount Vernon High School in Alexandria and George Mason University. He served in the Army from 1981 to 1982, then returned to northern Virginia.

He enjoyed coaching soccer, baseball and basketball.

Survivors include his wife of 16 years, Terrie L. Mohrmann, and their two children, Taylor and Trent, all of McLean; his father, George F. Mohrmann of Fairfax County; his mother, Carole Ann Waters of Palm Harbor, Fla.; and two brothers, James W. Mohrmann of Winchester, Va., and Robert C. Mohrmann of St. Petersburg, Fla.

John F. "Jay" Mullen

Washington Post Copy Editor

John Francis "Jay" Mullen, 37, a copy editor in The Washington Post's sports department who also wrote a weekly column called "The Outside Line," died July 24 in a kayaking accident on the Tygart River in Marion County, W.Va.

Mr. Mullen, an Arlington resident, joined The Post in 1993 as an editor of the sports section's statistics page. Later, as a copy editor, he specialized in Olympic sports and was the lead copy editor on the newspaper's guide to the 2004 Games in Athens.

In his column last year, he wrote about his developing interest in kayaking: "I'd come out of a love-lost breakup and the clearest thing at the time was to get in my boat and thrash on the Potomac [River]. I was 34, had stopped drinking some years before, but still things did not feel right. The kayak did. John Updike once wrote that 'cars have become our contemplation cells, the place we can think without distraction.' The kayak, soon a series of them, became mine."

Mr. Mullen was born in Malden, Mass., and raised in Burlington, Mass., and Boxford, Mass. He rowed crew and played football in high school.

At Colby College in Maine, he was captain and assistant coach of the rowing club and assistant editor of the newspaper. He graduated cum laude in 1989.

After working odd jobs and traveling to New Zealand and Australia, he became an editor for Ebsco Publishing Co. in Massachusetts, which produces electronic databases for libraries, schools, corporations and other clients.

Survivors include his parents, William and Mary Mullen of Gilford, N.H.; a brother, Kurt Mullen of Newburyport, Mass.; and his grandparents, Dr. John Killilea and Irene Killilea of Peabody, Mass.

Tony O'Dell Shaw


Tony O'Dell Shaw, 43, a Washington lawyer and Mitchellville resident, died July 23 of injuries suffered in a car accident near Monroe Township, N.J.

According to Monroe Township police, Mr. Shaw's car hit the right rear of a tractor-trailer as the truck was turning into a parking lot.

Mr. Shaw was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and grew up in Springfield, Mass. He received his undergraduate degree in business in 1983 from Grambling State University in Louisiana and his law degree in 1992 from the David A. Clarke School of Law at the University of the District of Columbia.

Before going to law school, he worked in Houston and then joined Aetna as a claims adjuster in Springfield. He practiced law in the District with Obergh & Berlin and with lawyer Randy McCrae.

He established his own practice in 1998, specializing in contracts, family, personal injury and criminal law. He also was co-founder and principal of Apex, a title and settlement company scheduled to begin operations this fall.

He was a member of Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship Inc., a nationwide community service organization for black men. He spent his last hours in Atlantic City with fellow Groove Phi Groove members at the group's annual conclave. He also was a member of Love Fellowship Christian Ministries in Glenarden.

Survivors include his wife of four years, Regina H. Shaw of Mitchellville; two children from previous relationships, Antoine Lee of Largo and Jonathan Bingham of Bowie; his father, Sandie Shaw of Springfield, Mass.; and two sisters, Dianah Shaw of Washington and Sonja Shaw of Springfield.

John F. "Jay" Mullen, who died Sunday in West Virginia, was an avid kayaker.