Because of a production error, two obituaries that ran Aug. 4 lacked attribution. The obituary for comedy writer Gary Belkin was written by the Los Angeles Times. The obituary for former Alaska governor Jay Hammond was written by the Associated Press. (Published 8/5/2005)

Gary Belkin

Comedy Writer

Gary Belkin, 78, a comedy writer who honed his skills on Sid Caesar's "Caesar's Hour" and went on to work for such television classics as "The Carol Burnett Show" and "Sesame Street," died July 28 in Los Angeles. He had emphysema.

Mr. Belkin was born in the Bronx, N.Y., and got into comedy by suggesting ideas for cartoons for the New Yorker magazine and writing jokes for radio comedians. He soon broke into television on Caesar's variety show, which aired from 1954 to 1957.

He worked as part of a large team of writers, many of whom had written for Caesar's "Your Show of Shows," which ran from 1950 to 1954.

Mr. Belkin and his colleagues reunited in 1996 for a PBS pledge-drive television special called "Caesar's Writers." The program featured Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, Larry Gelbart and Neil and Danny Simon.

Mr. Belkin went on to write variety show scripts for "The Danny Kaye Show" and spent eight years with "The Carol Burnett Show." He also wrote for sitcoms, including "Get Smart," "The Doris Day Show," "Three's Company" and "Newhart," and scripted specials for such celebrities as Frank Sinatra ("Sinatra: Concert for the Americas"), Anne Bancroft ("Annie and the Hoods") and Doris Day ("The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special").

Typical of Belkin's wit was his "The Beverly Hills Philosophy," which the Los Angeles Times reprinted in 1994 in its Laugh Lines column:

"Friends don't let friends drive Yugos.

"There is no such thing as a free brunch.

"Practice random profligacy and senseless acts of spending.

"Less is moronic.

"If you give a man a fish . . . also give him a lemon wedge and basil."

Mr. Belkin had no immediate survivors.

Lisa Kapin

Student Rabbi

Lisa Kapin, 42, a student rabbi who belonged to the theologically liberal Reconstructionist movement and helped lead services at area congregations, died July 10 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had breast cancer.

Ms. Kapin, a Bethesda resident, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated in 1986 with a degree in international relations from the University of Pennsylvania. She did financial work for Morgan Stanley in New York and then traveled worldwide, teaching English in Japan and working on a kibbutz in Israel, among other activities.

She came to the Washington area in 1989 and spent a few years as a project manager at MCI. At the time, she was a member of Adat Shalom Reconstructionist Synagogue in Bethesda and decided to make Judaic study the focus of her life.

In 1994, she began her rabbinical studies at the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College in Philadelphia and became part of the Jewish spiritual renewal movement known as Aleph.

While maintaining a home in Bethesda, she taught, counseled, sang and participated in other facets of congregation life in the Philadelphia and Washington areas.

She was the mid-Atlantic regional director for the Jewish Reconstructionist Federation from 1997 to 1998. She was a board member from 1998 to 2005 at the Philadelphia-based Institute for Contemporary Midrash, an organization that brings the arts into contact with sacred text and where she offered training in such areas as strategic planning and fundraising.

Survivors include her mother, Phyllis Kapin of Bethesda; her father and stepmother, Jay and Haydee Kapin of Miami; a twin sister, Laureen Kapin of Bethesda; another sister, Allyson Kapin of Washington; and a brother, Bryan Kapin of Miami.

Luther Irvy 'Bud' Tatum

Nuclear Engineer

Luther Irvy "Bud" Tatum, 66, a nuclear engineer with the Navy and the Energy Department, died of brain cancer July 12 at Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center in Arlington.

Mr. Tatum came to the Washington area in 1961 as a Navy officer on the staff of Adm. Hyman G. Rickover, considered the father of the nuclear Navy. Mr. Tatum was an engineer who helped design nuclear reactors for submarines.

In 1966, he left the Navy with the rank of lieutenant but continued to work for the Navy as a civilian nuclear engineer. Later in his career, he held a dual appointment with the Navy and Energy Department. He retired in 1999. His honors included the Energy Department's Exceptional Service Award.

Mr. Tatum was born in Denison, Tex., and was a 1961 graduate of the University of Oklahoma. He received advanced training at the Navy's Bettis Reactor Engineering School in Pittsburgh in 1962.

He lived in Arlington for more than 30 years and had a second home in the Northern Neck of Virginia near Heathsville. He enjoyed gardening and boating.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Sally Tuomala Tatum of Arlington; and a brother.

Gertrude Osborn Clearfield


Gertrude Osborn Clearfield, 88, a retired Prince George's County schoolteacher, died of respiratory failure July 28 at her home in Spring Green, Wis.

Mrs. Clearfield taught science and English for 20 years at John Hanson Junior High in Oxon Hill and Shugart Junior High in Marlow Heights. She retired in 1974.

She was born in Indianapolis and attended Earlham College in Richmond, Ind. Working as a lab technician in Indianapolis, she met her husband while drawing his blood. After marrying, they moved to the Washington area in 1949 when her husband, a clarinetist, got a job playing for the U.S. Air Force Band at Bolling Air Force Base. They lived in Rockville until 1976, when they moved to Wisconsin.

Like her mother, Mrs. Clearfield became a master quilter, and she taught classes on the art for the Montgomery County Recreation Department. She loved opera, birds, music, art and literature. She was an enthusiastic bridge player. She attended Sandy Springs Friends Meeting House.

Her husband of 39 years, Elvin Clearfield, died in 1998.

Survivors include five children, Martin Clearfield of Gillingham, Wis., Richard Clearfield of Dallas, Ronald Clearfield of Asheville, N.C., Douglas Clearfield of Bethesda and Susan Clearfield of Spring Green; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Jay Hammond

Alaska Governor

Jay Hammond, 83, a rugged bush pilot and hunting guide who served two terms as Alaska's governor and helped create the oil-royalty fund that dispenses dividend checks to nearly everyone in the state, died Aug. 2 at his home in Lake Clark, about 200 miles west of Anchorage. No cause of death was reported.

Mr. Hammond, who was a conservative and a conservationist, was governor from 1975 to 1982, during which oil began flowing through the Alaska pipeline.

During the Republican's time in office, Alaska's broad-based tourism industry was born, fishery stocks were revived and the Alaska Permanent Fund was created.

The fund pays nearly every adult and child in Alaska an annual share of the state's oil wealth. Last year, the payout was $919 a person.

Mr. Hammond's style combined self-deprecating humor and folksy plain-spokenness. To the outside world, the bearded, barrel-chested governor looked every bit the typical rugged Alaskan.

Mr. Hammond, a New York native, went to Alaska in 1946 to work as a pilot. He held many other jobs: trapper, wildlife biologist, government hunter, hunting guide, commercial fisherman and later, according to his 1994 autobiography, a reluctant politician.

He served six years in the state House and six years in the state Senate before becoming governor.

"When it came to politics, as in many other of life's activities, I preferred to be a loner," he wrote. "Political power or leadership positions simply didn't entrance me -- not because of selfless humility. I simply didn't want to bear the burdens of hard work and the responsibilities that come with such jobs. Some folks thrive on pressure; I wither."

For several years after leaving office, he was host of a popular television program, "Jay Hammond's Alaska." He stayed in touch with developments across the state and rarely hesitated to weigh in on issues in the news.

Robert Henry Evans

Professor, SAIS Official

Robert Henry Evans, 68, a longtime professor of government at the University of Virginia who later held a leadership position with the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, died of cancer July 19 at a hospital in Kennesaw, Ga. He settled in Kennesaw this year.

Mr. Evans, left, had a long, distinguished career as a scholar of international relations and government. His association with the Nitzke school, which is affiliated with Johns Hopkins University and is based in Washington, dated back more than 40 years.

He first studied at the Bologna, Italy, branch of the School of Advanced International Studies in 1960. After receiving a master's degree from the University of Denver in 1961, he returned to the Bologna Center as a French instructor and as assistant to the director from 1962 to 1964. He received his doctorate in political science from the University of Denver in 1966.

From 1966 to 1971, he was a professor at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. He joined the faculty of the University of Virginia in 1971, specializing in Italian politics and government. He was chairman of the Department of Government and Foreign Affairs from 1982 to 1987.

Mr. Evans left the university in 1992 to become director of the Bologna Center, where he studied and taught in the 1960s. He increased the number of faculty members, widened the center's collaboration with the University of Bologna and created an institute to help countries making a transition to democracy. He directed conferences that included winners of the Nobel Prize and broadened the center's involvement in literary, musical, scientific and medical affairs.

In 2003, he resigned to become president of the American University of Rome, a position he held May.

Dr. Evans was born in Bristol, England, and grew up in Nantes, France. He received his undergraduate degree from l'Institut des Etudes Politiques in Paris in 1959. He was fluent in French and Italian and had a working knowledge of Spanish and Portuguese.

He traveled extensively throughout his life and collected silver, books and art.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Maria Antonietta Cappellini Evans of Kennesaw; two children, Philip H. Evans of New Providence, N.J., and Francesca A. Evans of Kennesaw; and four grandchildren.