SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, for members. 301-893-1974.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective, for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
GODSPEED CONTEMPORARY GOSPEL -- 7-9 p.m. today. Part of the Summer Family Concerts on the Green at the indoor stage. No pets or alcoholic beverages permitted. Village Green Pavilion, 100 Walter Scott Rd., Indian Head. Free. 301-743-5511.
BO WEEVIL BLUES -- 7-9 p.m. tomorrow. Part of the La Plata Summer Concert Series. Lawn chairs and blankets recommended for seating. No pets or alcoholic beverages allowed. La Plata Town Hall, 305 Queen Anne St., La Plata. Free. Parking available at Sacred Heart Church. 301-934-8421.
DIXIE RAMBLERS -- 7:30 p.m. next Thursday. The bluegrass band will perform as part of the Bay Breeze Summer Concerts series. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892 or www.cbrm.org.
"LiL" MARGARET'S BLUEGRASS AND OLD TIME MUSIC FESTIVAL -- 3-10:30 p.m. next Thursday; 2-11 p.m. Aug. 12; 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Aug. 13. Live music, home-cooked food, arts and crafts and classic cars. Goddard Farm, 21521 Clay Hill Rd., Leonardtown. $45 for all three days at the gate, $12 for next Thursday only, $20 for Aug. 12 and $22 for Aug. 13. 301-475-8191.
BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB KIDS DAY -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Games, music and food. Organized by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland. Calvert Middle School, 435 Solomons Island Rd., Prince Frederick. 410-326-2200 or bgcsm.net.
KIDSINGER JIM -- Performs children's songs as part of a Summer Fun program sponsored by Calvert Library.
* 10 a.m. Tuesday. Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach.
* 2 p.m. Tuesday. Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department, 3170 W. Ward Rd., Dunkirk.
* 10 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Way, Lusby.
* 2 p.m. Wednesday. Prince Frederick Rescue Squad, 755 Solomon's Island Rd. South, Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
CHILDREN'S DAY -- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Games, crafts, a teddy bear clinic, exhibits, demonstrations, food and giveaways. St. Clement's Island Museum, 38370 Point Breeze Rd., Coltons Point. Free. 301-769-2222 or www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums.
CHILDREN'S SUMMER PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES -- Final program of this year's series Monday. "Sign Language Safari" with Kathy McMillan. Presented by the St. Mary's County Library. Free. Made possible in part by a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council.
* 10 a.m. Charlotte Hall library, at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home, 29449 Charlotte Hall Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 12:30 p.m. Leonardtown library, at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, 25550 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 3 p.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Monday. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. 301-475-2846.
* 9:15 a.m. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10 a.m. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- 9:05 a.m., Tuesday. Ages 2 months-12 months. Free. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Monday. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. Made possible through a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council with matching funds from Target Corp. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html. Free.
* 9:45 or 10:30 a.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10:30 a.m., Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- 9:30 and 10 a.m. Tuesdays, through Aug. 9. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
SUMMER STORY TIMES -- At Calvert library branches. Free. No registration required.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays, Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
AFTERNOON KIDS' CLUB -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 1:30 p.m., Thursdays, La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson (drawings and other works) and Colleen Sabo (watercolors). Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
THE WORLD OF SNAKES -- 1 p.m. Saturday. Program for adults and families to learn the significance of snakes and their place in the ecosystem. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, Grays Road, Prince Frederick. $3; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. Reservations required. 410-535-5327.
AFRICAN AMERICAN HERITAGE DAY -- Noon- 6 p.m., Saturday. A celebration of African American heritage, history and culture through performances, presentations, art, stories, food and music. Held rain or shine. The National Colonial Farm at Piscataway Park, 3400 Bryan Point Rd., Accokeek. $3; children 5 years old and younger, free. 301-283-2113, Ext. 13.
"THE POINT!" -- 8 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday; 3:30 p.m. Sunday; 8 p.m. Aug. 12 and 13; 3:30 p.m. Aug. 14. Written by Grammy award-winner Harry Nilsson and adapted and directed by Wendy Heidrich, this rock opera follows a round-headed boy and his dog into the Pointless Forest, where they discover everything has a purpose, even if it doesn't have a point. Three Notch Theatre, 21744 S. Coral Dr., Lexington Park. $18, general admission; $16, students and seniors. 301-737-5447 or www.newtowneplayers.com.
"GODSPELL" -- Runs through Aug. 28. 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 3 p.m. Sundays. Presented by the Black Box Theatre in the Indian Head Center for the Arts. Adults, $18; seniors and students, $15. Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Box office, 301-743-3040; tickets by phone, 800-494-8497; online at www.floatingtheatre.org, click on Buy Tickets.
GOLF TOURNAMENT AND AUCTION -- Sept. 9. The F. George Heinze III Golf Classic, Dinner and Auction will benefit the Southern Maryland Chapter of the American Red Cross. Deadline to register is Aug. 26. Swan Point Yacht and Country Club, 11550 Swan Point Blvd., Swan Point. $135 per golfer, includes lunch and dinner; $35 dinner cost for non-golfers. 301-934-2066 or 888-276-2767.
ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT BREAKFAST -- 8-11 a.m. Aug. 14. Scrambled eggs, home-fried potatoes, pancakes, French toast, sausage links, ham, hot biscuits, creamed chipped beef, spiced applesauce, milk, juices and coffee. The Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Auxiliary, 45245 Drayden Rd., Valley Lee. $6, adults; $3, children 5 to 12 years old; free, children younger than 5. 301-994-0751.
DOG OBEDIENCE CLASSES -- Classes begin Aug. 15 and 17. St. Mary's County Recreation and Parks is accepting applications for dog obedience classes, basic and advanced levels. There is limited enrollment for the nine-week program. St. Mary's County Fairgrounds, Leonardtown. $45. 301-475-4200, Ext. 1801.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m. to dusk. Saturdays and Sundays, beginning Aug. 20, through Nov. 30. A corn maze hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Theater and shopping trips and cruises. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Aug. 31. A trip to the Three Little Bakers Dinner Theatre in Wilmington, Del., to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra. $90.
* Sept. 11. A trip to the annual Polish American Festival at Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown, Pa. Includes transportation, festival admission and driver gratuity. $50.
* Sept. 24. A trip to Frederick and Emmitsburg for the Saints and Sinners Tour. Includes transportation, dinner, show and driver gratuity. $90.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.