Myra Webb Bradley

French Teacher

Myra Webb Bradley, 97, a retired high school French teacher, died of sepsis July 24 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. She lived at the Fairfax, a retirement community at Fort Belvoir.

Mrs. Bradley lived in Washington off and on with her husband, an Army officer, in the 1940s before settling in Falls Church in 1955. She taught French at J.E.B. Stuart High School until retiring in 1968.

She was born in Oaks, N.C., and graduated from the old North Carolina College for Women. She taught in North Carolina high schools during the 1930s.

After World War II, Mrs. Bradley lived in China and Taiwan, where her husband, retired Army Lt. Col. John English Bradley, was a military attache.

She was a member of Falls Church Presbyterian Church and had lived at the Fairfax since 1991.

Her husband of 53 years died in 1985.

Survivors include two children, Anne Bradley Tyler of Basye, Va., and John English Bradley Jr. of Limestone, Maine; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Helen Williams Shumate

Tutor, Volunteer

Helen Williams Shumate, 85, who worked as a Spanish tutor and volunteer in Northern Virginia for more than 40 years, died from complications of cancer Aug. 1 at Fairfax Nursing Center. She had been a Fairfax resident since 1956.

Mrs. Shumate volunteered with the League of Women Voters, Girl Scouts, the United Methodist Church, Opportunities Unlimited and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

She was born in El Paso and graduated from the old North Carolina College for Women. She received a master's degree in Spanish from the University of North Carolina in 1952 and worked as a lecturer in Spanish before she married and moved to northern Virginia.

Her husband of 49 years, T. Daniel Shumate, died in 2000.

Survivors include two daughters, Lisa Shumate of Arlington and Suzanne Morrison of Lima, Ohio.

Robert Walker Cromartie


Robert Walker Cromartie, 54, a retired lobbyist for the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, died of a gastrointestinal hemorrhage July 29 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Cromartie was born in Ocala, Fla., and moved as a child to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. He received an associate's degree from Wesley College in Dover, Del., where he worked at the college radio station.

He moved to Washington in 1971 and continued his work in radio at American University, where he had a late night blues and jazz show on WAMU before graduating with a bachelor's degree.

He went to work for the cooperative association and became its legislative representative, involved in drafting legislation for the Clean Water and Clean Air acts. He worked with United Nations officials to try to reach an accord on global warming, and, in his last years in the position worked closely with the association's division for international development. He retired in 2000.

Mr. Cromartie loved nature, especially the Chesapeake Bay and the Shenandoah Valley.

Survivors include his wife, Linda McCoy Cromartie of Alexandria; a son, Christopher Houston Cromartie of Alexandria; his mother, Roberta Walker Cromartie of Onancock, Va.; and a brother.

Albert Elliot Babbitt

IBM Executive, Consultant

Albert Elliot Babbitt, 77, a vice president with IBM who later worked as a consultant, died Aug. 1 at George Washington University Hospital.

Dr. Babbitt had lived in Bethesda since 1961, when he joined IBM's federal systems division. He held several senior management positions and specialized in the development of communications and surveillance programs for the Defense Department, Federal Aviation Administration and NASA. He helped automate the country's air traffic control system in the 1980s and was responsible for communications projects related to the space shuttle.

Dr. Babbitt also worked on projects to redesign the communications networks of NATO. He took leave from IBM from 1976 to 1978 to work for the Defense Department on a worldwide command and control system for the Defense Communications Agency.

He retired from IBM in 1986 as vice president of the federal systems division's technical staff. He later worked as a special assistant to the president of Titan Corp. and as senior technical adviser and vice president of TRW Inc. From the mid-1990s until his death, he was a consultant to federal agencies and private companies.

Dr. Babbitt was born in Philadelphia and grew up in Jackson, Miss. He served in the Navy in the mid-1940s. He studied at Columbia University, from which he received bachelor's (1950), master's (1952) and doctoral (1960) degrees, all in mathematics. While in graduate school, he taught at Rutgers University and worked as a mathematician for an early Army computer research program at Fort Monmouth, N.J.

His hobbies included golf, skiing, running and gardening.

His wife of 52 years, Carol Hutto Babbitt, died in January.

Survivors include three daughters, Ellen Babbitt of Chicago, Anita Dunn of Chevy Chase and Wendy Babbitt of Washington; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Jane Maupin Larson

Illustrator, Muralist

Jane Maupin Larson, 76, an illustrator and muralist whose works dotted the Washington suburbs in the 1960s and 1970s, died of complications from diabetes Aug. 1 at her home in Jacksonville, Fla. She was a former resident of Falls Church.

She was born in Glasgow, Mo., and graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where she studied under Thomas Hart Benton.

She married and lived in Duluth, Minn., before moving to Falls Church in 1963. She taught art part time in public and private schools, including Thomas Jefferson Elementary School in Falls Church. She also did commissioned murals and portraits for schools, businesses and public buildings. Many of the works were scenic landscapes or contained storybook figures.

In 1971, she helped start an art-in-the-park program at Cherry Hill Park in Falls Church to encourage local artists to show their work. She was a member of the Cherry Hill Poets, the League of Women Voters, the Democratic Women's Club, the Business and Professional Women organization and the American Civil Liberties Union.

Her husband of 56 years, Dale E. Larson, died in May.

Survivors include six children, Christopher E. Larson of Whitethorn, Calif., Dr. Anna Parsons of Tampa, Nicholas Larson of Sacramento, Mary Larson Garcia of Jacksonville, Andrew Larson of Gaithersburg and Sarah Larson-Bostedt of Oakland, Calif.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Edgar J. Orme Jr.

Livestock Farmer

Edgar Joseph Orme Jr., 93, a livestock farmer near Leesburg, died of complications from a cerebral hemorrhage Aug. 2 at Inova Loudoun Hospital.

Mr. Orme, a son of a real estate investor, was born in Washington and educated in private schools, including the Potomac and St. Albans schools. He was a member of one of the first graduating classes at the Landon School in Bethesda.

Mr. Orme studied at the College of William & Mary, the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland.

In 1941, after working briefly for the National Recovery Administration and Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co., he moved to a 1,000-acre farm just outside Leesburg. He concentrated on raising turkeys and cattle.

He volunteered with community-based organizations and helped raise money for the American Red Cross as chairman of its Loudoun County area chapter.

A member of the Chevy Chase Club and Columbia Country Club, he played golf regularly until last year. He also owned a home in Antigua, West Indies.

A daughter, Nancy T. Orme, died in 1997.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Nancy Luttrell Orme of Loudoun County; three children, Edgar J. Orme III of Trappe, Md., Nathaniel L. Orme of Bethesda and Susan Orme Price of Middleburg; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Herman 'Hy' Starr

D.C. Liquor Store Owner

Herman Isadore "Hy" Starr, 93, a former Silver Spring resident who owned and operated Em-Kay Liquors in Northeast Washington, died July 31 at a hospital in Tamarac, Fla. He had congestive heart failure.

Mr. Starr bought the business in 1964 and left daily operations in the early 1990s. At the time of his death, he was a resident of Lauderhill, Fla.

He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. Early in his career, he was a New York-based traveling jewelry salesman whose territory was the Baltimore and Washington area.

He settled in the Washington area in the late 1950s and briefly owned and operated a Dunkin' Donuts store in Wheaton.

His hobbies included riding horses, boating and biking.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Lucille Katz Starr of Lauderhill; two sons, Richard Starr of Crofton and Robert Starr of Rockville; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Gloria Childers

Administrative Assistant

Gloria Walter Childers, 73, a native Washingtonian and former Greenbelt resident who worked as an administrative assistant in the 1960s, died of cancer July 14 at her home in Nokomis, Fla., where she had lived since 1976.

Mrs. Childers, who attended McKinley Technical High School, worked at a doctor's office in Greenbelt, the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt and the Arbitron media research firm.

A son, James Childers, died in 1983.

Survivors include her husband of 57 years, James C. Childers Sr. of Nokomis; two sons, John Childers Sr. of Greenbelt and Jeffrey Childers of Seaside, Ore.; a brother; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Marjorie Christine Atkins

Prince George's Educator

Marjorie Christine Atkins, 75, a retired employee of Prince George's County schools, died Aug. 2 of congestive heart disease at Crofton Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center.

Mrs. Atkins worked as a media specialist at Chapel Forge Special Center and director of the gifted and talented program at Samuel Ogle Middle School. She retired in 1989.

She was born in Florence, S.C., and graduated from Winthrop College in Rock Hill, S.C. She received a master's degree from the University of Maryland in 1972.

Mrs. Atkins was a member of St. Matthew's United Methodist Church in Bowie and enjoyed reading, music, ceramics and playing trombone.

Her marriage to Richard B. Atkins ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Arden Elaine Pauley of Glen Burnie; and a sister, Kathryn S. McCarthy of Bowie.

John Cibinic Jr.

GWU Law Professor

John Cibinic Jr., 75, an emeritus law professor at George Washington University and a specialist in government contract law, died of ventricular arrhythmia Aug. 1 at his home in Annandale.

Mr. Cibinic co-wrote the Nash & Cibinic Report, a monthly newsletter on procurement issues, published since 1987. He wrote six books and numerous other publications.

Mr. Cibinic, who was born in Jacobs Creek, Va., served in a Pennsylvania National Guard unit that was activated during the Korean War and sent to Germany.

He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and received a law degree in 1960 from George Washington University Law School.

He worked for the Navy Department as a contract negotiator and as counsel for the American Machine and Foundry Co. before joining George Washington University. At the university, he taught for more than 30 years and was director of its government contracts program from 1965 to 1974. He became an emeritus professor in 1993.

He served as an expert witness, consulted for government agencies and businesses and testified before Congress. He was a member of the Atomic Energy Commission's Board of Contract Appeals. He also served on the board of Westminster School in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife, Jeannette Cibinic of Annandale; four children, Jean Witz of Waldorf, Amy Ondreyka of Pennington, N.J., Jennifer Cibinic of London and John M. Cibinic of Arlington; and a sister.

Theodore 'T' Wilkinson IV

United Airlines Pilot

Theodore S. "T" Wilkinson IV, 43, a native Washingtonian who for the past decade d worked as a United Airlines pilot, died of cancer July 28 at his home in Stillwater, Minn. He had lived in Stillwater since the early 1990s.

Before joining United Airlines, Mr. Wilkinson flew for commuter airlines West Air and Atlantic Coast.

He attended Georgetown Day School in Washington. He left after his junior year and moved to California, where he received a general equivalency diploma.

He enrolled at Palomar College in California and began flight training at a local airport. He joined two other pilots in buying a small aviation school at Palomar Airport, near San Diego, and eventually he became the business's sole owner and manager.

Survivors include his wife of 13 years, Angie Wilkinson, and their children, Maxwell and Madeline, all of Stillwater; his parents, Theodore S. Wilkinson and Rosalie Ford Wilkinson of Washington; and three sisters, Rebecca Wilkinson of Tucson, Jennifer Wilkinson of Takoma Park and Julia Wilkinson of Philadelphia.

Arthur B. Hersey

Federal Reserve Economist

Arthur Baird Hersey, 96, who spent more than 35 years as an economist with the Federal Reserve Board until retiring in the early 1970s, died July 22 at Ginger Cove retirement community in Annapolis. He had cardiovascular disease.

After World War II, Mr. Hersey worked briefly in Japan and Brazil on commissions dealing with postwar currency and economic issues. He also traveled to economic meetings in Europe and throughout the United States.

In 1956, he received a Rockefeller Public Service Award, providing a sabbatical year in Europe working with the Bank of England and other European central banks.

He was born in China to YMCA missionaries. His younger brothers were Roscoe Hersey, an artist, and John Hersey, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author.

Mr. Hersey was a 1929 graduate of Yale University, where he played varsity soccer. He received a master's degree from Yale in physics in 1930.

He taught mathematics at the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Conn., before receiving a master's degree in economics from Columbia University in 1935.

During World War II, he served in Washington with the Office of Strategic Services, the wartime predecessor of the CIA.

In the 1960s and 1970s, he and his wife summered in Europe. As a widower, he took trips abroad through the Smithsonian Institution and other groups.

At Ginger Cove, he played croquet and took Spanish lessons. He also was fluent in Chinese and French.

His wife of 58 years, Anita Young Hersey, died in 1995. A daughter, Joan Hersey, died in January.

Survivors include a daughter, Jill Hersey Barr of Bethesda; and two grandchildren.

Robert C. Goffus

FEMA Inspector General

Robert C. Goffus, 76, who was inspector general of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, died of a stroke Aug. 1 at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg. He lived in Locust Grove, Va.

Mr. Goffus began his federal career in 1950 as an auditor with the Department of Agriculture. He later worked as an investigator and comptroller at the Department of Justice. He joined FEMA as a comptroller and worked as an inspector general in the early 1980s, investigating widespread charges of fraud and mismanagement at the agency.

In 1985, he became an investigator with the U.S. House Appropriations Committee. He retired in 1992.

Mr. Goffus was born in McKeesport, Pa., and served in the Navy in the final months of World War II. He was a graduate of Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh.

He was a member of the Masons and enjoyed golf and politics. He was a coach of youth football and Little League and Babe Ruth baseball teams in Springfield.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Doris Miller Goffus of Locust Grove; two children, Judith Goffus of Paris, Ky., and Michael Goffus of Stafford; and three grandchildren.

Ester Berry Bowling

Champion Jitterbug Dancer

Ester Berry Bowling, 80, a Washington native who was champion jitterbug dancer, died of a brain tumor July 31 at a friend's home in Potomac. She lived most recently at Brooke Grove, a nursing home in Sandy Spring.

Mrs. Bowling was born in the District and attended Coolidge High School. Beginning in her mid-teens, she worked for eight years with the American Red Cross, compiling casualty reports. After her marrying, she was primarily a homemaker.

Mrs. Bowling was a member of Lakewood Country Club and the Optimist Club and won a number of awards in golf and bridge. She and her husband also won jitterbug contests in local ballroom dancing competitions.

She lived in Kensington for many years until 1989, when she moved to Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Her husband of 46 years, John W. Bowling, died in 1989.

Survivors include two children, Barbara Bowling of Boise, Idaho, and Bill Bowling of Tallahassee; a brother, Lou Berry of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.