Diana Weaver

Native Washingtonian

Diana Weaver, 70, a native Washingtonian and a 1953 graduate of Roosevelt High School who became involved in education programs for the severely handicapped, died Aug. 3 at her home in Columbia, Mo. She had breast cancer.

Dr. Weaver graduated in 1959 with a degree in psychology from Hunter College in New York. She received a master's degree in counseling and behavioral studies from the University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1965 and a doctorate in special education from the University of Texas at Austin in 1970.

She spent much of her career elsewhere, accompanying her then-husband, Robert S. Kahan, on academic assignments. She returned to live in the Washington area from 1980 to 1984 when Kahan was chairman of the journalism department at Mount Vernon College, now part of George Washington University.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

A daughter, Allison Kahan, died in infancy in 1969.

Survivors include three children, Hope Kahan of Fort Worth, Maya Kahan of Columbia, Mo., and Seth Kahan of Bethesda; a sister; and a grandson.

Howard Blair

Small-Motor Repairman

Howard Lee Blair, 71, a small-motor repairman who spent most of his career at Turner Electric Co. in Takoma Park, died Aug. 5 at his home in Wheaton. He had emphysema.

Mr. Blair began working for Diamond Tool Co. in Upper Marlboro about seven years ago and continued to work there part time until his death.

He was a native of Cashion, Okla., and was a Navy veteran of the Korean War. He settled in the Washington area in 1958.

He was a former commander of a Disabled American Veterans chapter in Montgomery County. His memberships included the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.

His wife, Helen Short Blair, whom he married in 1955, died in 1996. Two children died, Darrel Blair in 1993 and Linda McKenzie in February.

Survivors include three children, Sharon Leaman of Hyattsville, Tammie Blair of Wheaton and Wanda Ero of Elkridge; six grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren.

Sarah A. Johncox

FBI Employee

Sarah Anne Johncox, 50, a Chevy Chase resident who did administrative work for the FBI for about 25 years, died of ovarian cancer July 13 at the National Cancer Institute, where she was participating in a study.

Ms. Johncox was born in Marion, Ohio, and raised mostly in Potomac, where she was a 1974 graduate of Winston Churchill High School. She was a 1980 graduate of Gallaudet University.

In 1957, she was the poster child for United Cerebral Palsy and visited the White House. She was comforted by first lady Mamie Eisenhower when the news camera lights apparently frightened her.

She was a member of the Cerebral Palsy and Deaf Organization and Potomac United Methodist Church.

Survivors include her parents, William and Esther Johncox of Potomac; and two brothers, Bill Johncox of Bethesda and Douglas Johncox of Damascus.

June Morris Arbogast

Administrative Worker

June Morris Arbogast, 80, who spent 35 years doing administrative work for the federal government before retiring from the Department of Health and Human Services in the early 1980s, died Aug. 5 at her home in Annapolis. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Arbogast was born in Berkley, Mich., and raised in Alexandria. She attended the old George Washington High School in Alexandria.

Early in her career, she worked for the Veterans Administration, the Interior Department, the Navy Department and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. She joined the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare (which became HHS) in the early 1970s.

She was a past regent of a Daughters of the American Revolution chapter in Annapolis and did volunteer work for Meals on Wheels.

Her marriages to Essex Madron and Howard Buckner ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 37 years, Warren A. Arbogast of Annapolis; two children from her first marriage, Monna Madron and Stephen Madron, both of Annapolis; two stepchildren, Michelle Arbogast of Gaithersburg and Warren Arbogast of Washington; a brother, Clyde L. Morris of Fairfax County; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Rubye Olson Youngblood


Rubye Olson Youngblood, 92, a former Smithsonian Institution docent who volunteered as an information specialist at the National Gallery of Art, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Aug. 2 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington.

Mrs. Youngblood was born in Velva, N.D., and raised in Montana. She was valedictorian of her high school graduating class in Harlowton, Mont., and received an associate degree of arts with honors from Montana State College.

She then came to Washington to work for the federal government. She graduated from George Washington University with a degree in art history and was elected to Pi Gamma Mu social sciences honor fraternity.

After working as a historian for the Army department, she accompanied her husband, Curtis T. Youngblood, a naval officer who later retired as a captain, to Panama and London. An active member of the Naval Officers' Wives' Club, she once christened a minesweeper at the shipyard in Bellingham, Wash.

In 1958, Mrs. Youngblood and her husband settled in Arlington, where she was a member of historical societies and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church.

Her husband died in 2004.

Survivors include a daughter, Jane Y. Spurling of St. George's, Bermuda; and three grandchildren.