Henry Clay Huntley
Public Health Service Official
Henry Clay Huntley, 93, a retired U.S. Public Health Service official who was instrumental in establishing standards for training emergency medical technicians, died of cardiac arrest July 12 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Chevy Chase for 36 years.
Dr. Huntley had worked for the Public Health Service in New York and Boston before transferring to Washington, where he was director of emergency health services from 1966 until his retirement in 1973. In that position, he worked with committees of the American Medical Association, the American College of Surgeons and the U.S. Transportation Department to develop standards for ambulance service, emergency medical technicians and emergency room departments in hospitals.
The effort culminated in the 1973 National Emergency Medical Services System Act, which provided funds for demonstration projects across the country.
His many professional honors included the Merit Service Award from the Public Health Service and the AMA Award of Appreciation.
Dr. Huntley was born in Caruthersville, Mo. He received an undergraduate and medical degree from Washington University in St. Louis. He served in the Army Reserve during World War II and received a master's degree in public health from the University of Michigan in 1949.
As a volunteer, he was an active member of the Village of Friendship Heights community in Chevy Chase. He was past president of the Friendship Village Civic Association and former chairman of a community center program advisory committee.
In 1991, the village center's town hall was named in his honor.
Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Helen Huntley of Chevy Chase; three daughters, Sally Williams of Greeley, Colo., Marie Rundle of Hadley, Mass., and Elizabeth Huntley of Los Angeles; and six grandchildren.
Dr. Marshall M. Parks
Dr. Marshall M. Parks, 87, a pioneering pediatric ophthalmologist and medical educator, died of cancer July 27 at Washington Hospital Center.
An author and a lecturer, Dr. Parks made a number of seminal contributions to his field, including the diagnosis and treatment of strabismus (misalignment of the eyes) and amblyopia (loss of vision sharpness), the management of infantile cataracts and innovative surgical techniques.
He was a founding member and first president of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and a founder and past president of the National Children's Eye Care Foundation. He trained more than 160 of the world's leading pediatric ophthalmologists.
Dr. Parks, a District resident, was born in Old Mission, Mich., and received a bachelor's degree from Illinois College in 1939. He graduated from St. Louis University School of Medicine in 1943 and entered the Navy shortly thereafter. He was an intern at the U.S. Naval Hospital in San Diego and served as a medical officer on destroyers in the South Pacific. He completed his ophthalmology residency at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Great Lakes, Ill.
After the war, he studied pediatric ophthalmology under his mentor, Dr. Frank D. Costenbader, who had practiced ophthalmology in Washington since 1932 and who began to specialize in pediatric ophthalmology in 1943. Dr. Costenbader established an eye clinic at Children's Hospital in the District and was soon inundated with pediatric patients. He accepted Dr. Parks as his first trainee in 1947, and together they initiated the first fellowship-training program of any ophthalmology sub-specialty.
Dr. Parks expanded the pediatric ophthalmology program at Children's and also worked as a clinical professor at George Washington University Medical Center and as an instructor at Georgetown University Medical Center. For 40 years, he was a consultant at National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda and Walter Reed Army Medical Center in the District. Toward the end of his career, he lived part time in Dallas, where he taught and maintained a private practice until 2002.
His first wife, Angeline Miller Parks, died in 1987. A son, Peter Michael Parks, died in 1974.
Survivors include his wife of 14 years, Martha McSteen Parks of Washington; 10 children from his first marriage, Gwendolyn Parks of Marietta, Ga., Ann Napp of White Bear Lake, Minn., Grace Mitchell of West Hartford, Conn., Mary Heersink of Dothan, Ala., and Dieren, Netherlands, Joan Whitlow of Salem, Mass., John Parks of Anchorage, James Parks of Minneapolis, Mark Parks of Fort Valley, Va., Paul Parks, whose last known residence was in California, and Philip Parks of Madison, Conn.; 25 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
Kendall L. Svendsen
Kendall L. Svendsen, 86, who as a geophysicist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration promoted the international exchange of geomagnetic data, died July 18 at Bedford Court senior living facility in Silver Spring. He had Parkinson's disease.
Mr. Svendsen, who was born in Greenville, Mich., received a bachelor's degree in mathematics from the University of Michigan in 1943.
A veteran of World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps from 1943 to 1946. He then pursued a career with the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in Washington, becoming chief of the Geomagnetism Division in 1970. His division later was transferred to NOAA, from which he retired in 1980.
In promoting the international exchange of information, Mr. Svendsen visited geophysical installations in nearly 100 countries and Antarctica. He was awarded the Department of Commerce Bronze Medal in 1970 and the Silver Medal in 1977. He also received the Antarctic Medal of the National Science Foundation and was honored with the naming of Svendsen Glacier in northern Victoria Land, Antarctica.
Mr. Svendsen was a member of the American Geophysical Union, the International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, the Pan American Institute of Geography and History, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Sigma Xi, and the Explorer's Club.
After retiring, he enjoyed photography and foreign travel, visiting 200 countries in all.
Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Maxine Svendsen of Silver Spring; and three children, Nancy Svendsen of Baltimore, Jean Svendsen of Beltsville and Jeffrey Svendsen of Alma, Mich.
Constantia 'Connie' Johnson
Fairfax County Teacher
Constantia Hommann "Connie" Johnson, 88, a former Fairfax County teacher who worked on human relations issues with Fairfax County schools, died Aug. 4 of emphysema at her home in Syria, Va.
Mrs. Johnson was born in New York and grew up in Scarsdale, N.Y. She attended Sarah Lawrence College and the University of Washington and received a bachelor's degree in English literature from George Washington University in 1948.
She taught English at Robert College in Istanbul from 1948 until 1951. From 1955 to 1971, she taught fifth grade at Weyanoke Elementary School in Fairfax County.
She was named a member of the superintendent's council on human relations in 1971, and the next year she became the assistant to the coordinator of the human relations department. In 1974, she became a human relations specialist with the school system, working on minority hiring, student suspension rates and other issues.
In 1975, she received the Brotherhood Award of the National Conference of Christians and Jews (Northern Virginia chapter). She retired in 1979 and moved to Madison County, Va., in 1980.
From 1953 until her death, she volunteered in support of Democratic candidates for local, state and national offices. She served as chairman or co-chairman for two successful candidates for chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and was involved with the successful campaign to merge the separate black and white Fairfax teachers' associations. In retirement, she organized the Madison Emergency Services Association, which works with the Madison Ministerial Association to provide services for citizens with needs that government agencies cannot meet.
Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Augustus C. "Gus" Johnson of Syria; a daughter, Muriel "Moo" Johnson Murray of Richmond; and two sisters.
Gene E. McCoy
Gene Edward McCoy, 77, who formerly owned and operated McCoy Associates in Washington, a manufacturer's-representative business that focused on such commercial construction products as skylights and display cases, died Aug. 3 at Virginia Hospital Center.
He had pneumonia resulting from a stroke and fall at his secondary home in Palm Beach, Fla., in May. His main residence was in Arlington.
Mr. McCoy was a native of Chattaroy, W.Va., and a 1950 mining engineering graduate of West Virginia University. He was an Army veteran of the Korean War.
Early in his career, he was a coal mining engineer in West Virginia before moving into commercial construction sales in Ohio. He worked in Baltimore for the E.F. Hauserman Co., a maker of movable interior walls, and became its Washington branch manager in 1960.
He started his business in 1963 and in 1993 sold it to two of his daughters. He also owned real estate in the Washington area and radio stations in West Virginia, Ohio and Delaware.
He was a former president of the University Club, the Washington Building Congress, the D.C. chapter of the Kiwanis Club, the West Virginia State Society and a parent-teacher association in Arlington.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Mary Ann Ross McCoy of Arlington and Palm Beach; six children, Ross McCoy of Granbury, Tex., Drew McCoy of Los Angeles, Rachel McCoy of New York and Jean McCoy Phillips, Jane McCoy Cherney and Karen McCoy, all of Arlington; and five grandsons.
Aileen E. Fares
Administrative Assistant, Church Member
Aileen E. Fares, 79, a former administrative assistant at the Pentagon, died Aug. 8 of a pulmonary embolism at Inova Alexandria Hospital. She was an Alexandria resident.
Mrs. Fares was born in Los Angeles and moved to the Washington area in 1952. After briefly attending a local business school, she went to work at the Pentagon.
She was an active member of Cherrydale Baptist Church in Arlington and Bethel Baptist Church in Alexandria. She was involved with the music ministries of both congregations and conducted a weekly small-group Bible study in her home. She also took in people who needed a place to live, ministered to shut-ins and regularly provided rides to those who wanted to attend church services.
Her husband, Al Fares, died in 1998.
There are no immediate survivors.
Dorothy Finley Wilbur
Dorothy Finley Wilbur, 89, one of the "office girls" who found jobs at the Pentagon during World War II, died Aug. 1 of hypertension at Eden Pines assisted living center in Hagerstown, Md. She lived in Gaithersburg for many years before moving to Hagerstown last year.
Mrs. Wilbur was born in Clear Lake, Wis., and received her teacher's certificate from the University of Wisconsin in 1935. She went back to Clear Lake and taught in a one-room school, working with children of different ages.
She moved to Washington in 1945, settled into a rooming house with other young women who had come to the city seeking wartime work and took a job as a typist at the Pentagon. The former teacher took pride in her ability to correct grammar and spelling errors in the many lengthy and complex documents she was given to type. When she retired in 1978, she was working in a civilian editorial position with the Army, first at the Pentagon and then in offices in downtown Washington.
During her many years in the Washington area, Mrs. Wilbur taught Sunday school, first at the old Waugh Methodist Church and then at Ryland Epworth United Methodist Church, both in the District. More recently, she taught Sunday school at Washington Grove United Methodist Church in Washington Grove, Md.
She lived in the Washington area for more than a half-century, except for a brief period in 2002 when she moved back to Wisconsin to recuperate after joint-replacement surgery. The trip allowed her, at age 87, to take her first plane ride and to attend her high school reunion. She was quick to remind her classmates that she was the youngest attendee.
Her husband, George E. Wilbur, died in 1961.
Survivors include a son, George E. Wilbur of Washington; a sister; and two grandsons.
A. Ross Lerner
Abraham Ross Lerner, 96, a retired orthopedic surgeon who settled in Rockville in 1986 and was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation and Jacobi Medical Society, died Aug. 9 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a recent fall.
Dr. Lerner was born in Missouri and raised in Winnipeg, Canada. He was a graduate of the University of Manitoba's medical school. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in the South Pacific during World War II.
Dr. Lerner practiced in Minneapolis for more than 40 years as a physician for several professional sports teams and a railroad workers' union.
Survivors include his wife, Esther Croll Lerner of Rockville, whom he married in 1939; two children, Sheryl Silverman of Potomac and Dr. Steven Lerner of Bethesda; a brother; a half-brother; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.