Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) for people of all ages and fitness levels. Choose from a 1.5- or 3-mile course. Participants will receive a free pedometer. 8:30 a.m., Calvert Hospice office, 238 Merimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free.
* Noon-6 p.m. tomorrow, St. Mary's Hospital (15) Health Connections. Call for an appointment.
* 9 a.m.-3 p.m. tomorrow, Southern Maryland Hospital Center's (17) library. Call for an appointment.
HIV TESTING AND COUNSELING
Appointments from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Mary's County Health Department. Call Lana Horton, community health nurse, at 301-475-4295. www.dhmh.state.md.us/AIDS.
WHEELCHAIRS FOR SENIORS
* Powered wheelchairs are available, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to nonambulatory seniors ages 65 and older who qualify. 800-749-8778 or www.jaspanmedical.com.
* "Wishes on Wheels" program offers wheelchairs, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to seniors ages 65 and older who qualify. 800-823-5220 or www.threewishes2.com.
* Medicare recipients who suffer from arthritis, cardiovascular disease or respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. Call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
HEALTH SERVICES FOR THE ELDERLY
For seniors who find it difficult to leave home, the Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency Inc., a nonprofit group serving Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties, will make home visits to draw blood for lab tests, organize prescription drugs or fill insulin syringes. Call the Intake Office at 800-656-4343, Ext. 121, and press option No. 4.
* Bay Healing Arts Center offers acupuncture, massage, reflexology and acupressure facial therapy. 9129 Bay Ave., North Beach. 410-286-9110.
* Heaven to Earth Healing Arts offers "energy work," noninvasive techniques that help people access their natural healing abilities. 50-minute session, $65. Call 410-257-0147.
VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION EXPANDS
The MedStar Health Visiting Nurse Association's new office in Camp Springs offers home care in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and southern Prince George's counties. Services include wound care, infusion and rehabilitation. Specialty care in cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, ostomy, oncology, stroke and joint replacement rehabilitation, diabetes, maternal/child health, pediatrics and respiratory therapy is available. 301-931-3100.
CIVISTA ON THE LINE
Civista Medical Center offers free referrals of medical staff members. Callers can also register for Civista-sponsored events and classes and receive information on health-related county resources. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. 888-332-4847.
The Southern Maryland chapter of the United Ostomy Association of America is available to anyone seeking information. Call Jerry Kluckman at 410-326-2207.
ASTHMA AND ALLERGY CENTER
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers a detailed evaluation, including complete medical history and physical examination, a consultation with a pulmonologist and a breathing test. Fee charged. 301-877-4616.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers transportation for outpatient services when personal transportation is not available. 301-877-4357.
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. A one-stop screening provides full coronary risk profile. By appointment only. Ten-hour fast required. Must be 18 to participate. 7-9 a.m. Sept. 17. Dunkirk Medical Center (10). $25.
PROSTATE CANCER SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers screenings. Includes a PSA blood test and a digital rectal exam. 4:30-6:30 p.m., Sept. 27, Dunkirk Medical Center (10); Sept. 29, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3).
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers screenings from 8-11:30 a.m. Sept. 10. Screenings are by appointment only for men 40 and older who have not recently been tested and are not currently under the care of a urologist. Free.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. No appointment needed. Free. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings from 1 to 3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of the month in La Plata. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings from 11 a.m. to noon the first and third Thursdays of the month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (13) offers screenings from 10 to 11 a.m. the first Friday of the month. Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers screenings from noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays in the hospital solarium. Free.
* St. Mary's Medical Center at Charlotte Hall offers screenings from 9 a.m. to noon the first Friday of the month. Free. 301-290-1499.
* St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers screenings from 9 a.m. to noon the second Friday of the month in the lobby. Free.
STRESS LESS MINI RETREAT
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital for groups of up to 15 at Solomons Medical Center (16). Program may include individual appointments for the Trager Approach or seated massage, or group instruction in relaxation techniques, meditation, guided imagery and more. 410-394-2816.
LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) for female cancer patients in any stage of diagnosis or treatment. Program can help participants improve self-image by learning hands-on techniques to overcome side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. 10 a.m.-noon. Sept. 17. Free.
LUNCH AND LEARN
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Program teaches about thyroid's role in the body, its effect on weight and treatment options. Noon-1 p.m. Sept. 14. $10.
"What to Do Before It's a Matter of Life and Death." Program teaches what people can do now to ensure that in case of a medical crisis or the end of their life, their family will know what treatment they want. 7-8 p.m. Sept. 20, Berry Patch, Route 231, Prince Frederick. Free. Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3).
Discussion on gastric bypass surgery. Program discusses the risks versus benefits, post-operative diet, exercise and costs. 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 24, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
Offered by Charles County Health Department. The 10-week program uses the nicotine patch. Reserve by Aug. 26. Program begins Sept. 13, 6-8 p.m., Charles County Health Department, 4545 Crain Hwy., White Plains. Free. 301-609-6935.
* Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Support, education and tools to help quit for good. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 13, 15, 19, 20, 22, 27, 29 and Oct. 4. Free.
ASK A NURSE
Answers to people's most pressing health questions. Offered by St. Mary's Hospital (15) from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at McKay's Food and Drug tomorrow in Great Mills and Thursday in California. Free.
HEART TALKS AVAILABLE
Presented by St. Mary's County Health Department, the talks address hypertension and the symptoms and signs of stroke and heart attack. To schedule a 45-minute presentation, call Betsy Tyer at 301-475-4079.
DIABETES WALK AND TALK
During a walk around St. Mary's Hospital campus and participants can discuss how to use walking as part of a self-management program. Walkers are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes and clothing and bring a glucose meter. Weather permitting. 1-2 p.m. Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital Health Connections (15). Free.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a variety of courses in CPR techniques for adults, infants and children. Certification for health care providers. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times of classes.
* A variety of courses are offered by St. Mary's Hospital Health Connections. Call 301-475-6019.
"A COPING SKILLS TOOLBOX"
Program teaches how to look for signs of stress and how to reduce it. Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17), Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Call 301-877-7370 for dates and times of bimonthly classes.
Program teaches how many calories participants need. They can meet their weight goal with a personalized diet prepared by a registered dietitian. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for appointment. One hour session, $40; four sessions, $130.
COMPUTERIZED BODY COMPOSITION
Participants can have their body composition assessed and receive a computer printout of their lean body mass, body fat, and recommendations for optimal weight and weight loss. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $20. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
Fitness assessment from a certified fitness trainer. Tests evaluate muscle strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and body composition. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $50. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program for people to learn how to balance their lifestyle and diabetes. This program is covered by most health insurance plans. To schedule an appointment, call 410-414-4809.
* At St. Mary's Hospital (15), professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Call 301-475-6185.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
* Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare Inc. offers two-hour classes at a variety of times and locations in Charles and St. Mary's counties. $5 each session. Call Carol Wright to register at 301-870-7816.
HEALTH SPEAKERS BUREAU
Health care professionals are available to present programs on health topics for a business or community group. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
A demonstration about the risks of tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children in grades 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
These exercise classes for women are designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. Certified instructors. 6:15-7:15 p.m. Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration not required. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. 888-332-4847.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Healthy Alternatives (12) provides yoga for all ages and all fitness levels. For class dates and times, call 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. 10-11 a.m. Mondays, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
* Beginning Yoga, an ongoing class, teaches flexibility exercises and relaxation and strengthening techniques. 10-10:45 a.m. Mondays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital Healthy Alternatives (12), Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements for relaxation. Learn simple movement exercises to maintain softness and range of motion. Clients remain fully clothed. 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816.
BABY CARE PROGRAM
* Offered by Civista Women's Health Center (9) for expectant and new parents only. Comprehensive class includes certification in first aid and CPR for infants and children. Information on selecting car seats, cribs, baby-proofing homes and basic baby care. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 10. $60.
* Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital for expectant and new parents. Learn about basic newborn care. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 7, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $9 couple.
For new moms who could benefit from the support of other nursing mothers. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (15) Health Connections. Free. 301-997-6505.
* For working moms. 5-7 p.m. Aug. 30, Lexington Park Library, Lexington Park. Free. 301-997-6505.
* Get the basics from Civista Women's Health (9). 9:30-11:30 a.m. $10 a couple. Call for dates.
EXERCISE FOR MOMS-TO-BE
Presented by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Tailored to individual needs. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). Ten sessions, $50; walk-in session, $6. 410-257-5263.
EXERCISE FOR NEW MOMS
Presented by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Tailored for new mothers. Babies may attend until they are able to crawl. 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). Ten sessions, $50; walk-ins, $6. 410-257-5263.
Civista Antenatal Testing Center (6) in La Plata offers evening classes or a one-day Saturday class to prepare participants and their support people for a safe birthing experience. Topics on getting to know your newborn include sleeping, feeding, infant safety, growth, development and how to know when your baby is sick. A tour of the Family Birthing Center is included. Registration and prepayment required. Call for dates and times. $85.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers classes that cover labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, cesarean section information and breast-feeding education. Weeknight and Saturday classes available. Call Nurturing Necessities at 410-414-5414.
INCREDIBLE YEARS PROGRAM
The Center for Children offers empowerment and problem-solving tips for parents and guardians in Charles and St. Mary's counties. 301-609-9887 or 301-475-8860.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
* Expectant parents can tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). A question-and-answer period follows. 2 p.m. on the third Sunday of the month. Meet in the emergency room department. Free.
* Tour the birth center and nursery, and meet the staff members, at 6-7 p.m. Sept. 12 and 19. Civista Medical Center (8). Free.
* St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers a series of monthly parenting classes, free to parents who plan to deliver their child at the hospital. Classes cover baby care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Call 301-475-6019 for times and dates of classes.
* Breast-Feeding Resource Center's certified lactation consultants will answer questions or provide a private consultation. Breast pumps and other items will be available for rent or purchase. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (15). Call 301-997-6505 to talk to a lactation consultant.
St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers a six-week course that teaches hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to help relieve stress. You can begin the class at any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
Provided by a trained therapist. 4:45-6:45 p.m. first and third Tuesdays of the month; 3:45-6:45 p.m. second, fourth and fifth Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); 9 a.m.-noon first and third Saturdays of the month, Dunkirk Medical Center (10). One-hour session, $60. 410-394-2816.
ALOPECIA AREATA SUPPORT GROUP
The group which offers support to people with alopecia areata, a common autoimmune system condition resulting in hair loss, will meet 7 p.m. Wednesday at Potomac branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Dr., Indian Head. Free. 301-870-4295.
TOBACCO QUITTERS SUPPORT GROUP
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 6-7 p.m. the first Thursday of the month. 410-414-4572.
REFLEX SYMPATHETIC DYSTROPHY GROUP
Meets from 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 8, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17), first-floor solarium. 301-877-5700.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
Open to patients, friends and relatives. Support and education on aspects of the disease. Fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8). Call for times and details. Free.
MENTAL ILLNESS GROUP
* National Alliance for the Mentally Ill meets monthly at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Jean Doran at 410-535-2746 for time, date and other information.
* Offered by Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 6:30-8:30 p.m. second Tuesday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-4456.
GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP
* Calvert Hospice offers drop-in meetings for county residents grieving the loss of a loved one: noon-1 p.m. Mondays, Smithville United Methodist Church, 10602 Southern Maryland Blvd., Dunkirk; 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesdays and noon-1 p.m. Thursdays, Calvert Hospice, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick; and noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays, Olivet United Methodist Church, 13570 Olivet Rd., Lusby. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
* Offered by Hospice of St. Mary's for people grieving the loss of a loved one. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 12, Hospice of St. Mary's, 22699 Washington St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-6423.
Family members welcome. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of the month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17). Free.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210. For information on speakers and topics, call 410-414-4670.
Family members welcome. Fridays, Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times at 410-326-6655.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Carl Garland at 410-535-4461, Ext. 106.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of the month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. 301-932-6196.
* Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of the month, Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) sponsors this group. 7:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) sponsors this group. 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free.
* 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* St. Mary's Hospital (15) group welcomes family and friends. Snacks provided. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday . Free. 301-475-6070.
2:30-4:30 p.m. the third Sunday of the month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) library. Free.
* For caregivers of older adults. Supervision of care recipient available on site during group meeting. 2 p.m. the last Wednesday of the month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
* Offered by Calvert County Hospice. Available for county residents caring for a loved one who is chronically or terminally ill. 12:30-2 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, at the hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers this group to survivors and caregivers. Clinical professionals will be available to answer questions and share ideas for improving physical, social and emotional health. 5:30-7 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free. 410-414-4800.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center support group is open to family members. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
* Family members welcome. 7-8 p.m. Sept. 21, Civista Medical Center (8) cafeteria. Registration not required.
* Group meets 6-8 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-414-4648.
Meets 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group hotline at 410-414-4783.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513 or 301-392-5400.