Bernice 'Bunny' Kaufmann

Volunteer, Philanthropist

Bernice "Bunny" Kaufmann, 88, for many years an active member of the Service Guild of Washington and other community-service organizations, died Aug. 11 of pneumonia at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She was a D.C. resident for more than 65 years.

Mrs. Kaufmann was born in Philadelphia and received a bachelor's degree from Goucher College in 1936. She remained a lover of poetry and literature throughout her life. During her college years, she regularly appeared on stage in leading roles at Goucher and Johns Hopkins University. She was recruited for a screen test, but her father deemed the Hollywood lifestyle unsuitable and forbade it.

Mrs. Kaufmann and her husband, Joel S. Kaufmann, whose family founded Kay Jewelers, were active philanthropists and prominent members of Washington's Jewish community.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Mrs. Kaufmann worked with the Service Guild of Washington, a Jewish women's group that did volunteer work for a variety of community programs and projects. Her lifelong love of the theater kept her involved in Service Guild productions at synagogues and organizations throughout the area.

With her husband, Mrs. Kaufmann worked on behalf of the Kaufmann Camp for underprivileged children from the 1950s through the 1970s. She also served on the Women's Board of George Washington University Hospital in the 1980s and 1990s and worked in the hospital's gift shop for more than 15 years.

Mrs. Kaufmann's husband died in 1981. A son, Lee Kaufmann, died in 1992.

Survivors include her son, Richard Kaufmann of the District; a sister, Lorraine Fischer of the District; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Corrinne Tuozzo

Receptionist, Volunteer

Corrinne Tuozzo, 74, a former executive receptionist who also did volunteer work, died Aug. 6 of pancreatic cancer at her home in Bethesda.

She was born in Baltimore and moved to Laurel as a child. She was a graduate of Laurel High School.

Mrs. Tuozzo was a telephone operator in Laurel in the late 1940s and, from 1964 to 1969, an executive receptionist for the board of directors of Comsat Corp.

In later years, she did volunteer work with Volunteers for the Visually Handicapped and the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

For more than 30 years, she also pursued her interest in painting and sculpture.

Survivors include her husband of 58 years, Donald Ambrose Tuozzo of Bethesda; six children, Donald Arnold Tuozzo of Crofton, Frank A. Tuozzo of Gaithersburg, Gary J. Tuozzo of Annandale, Thomas M. Tuozzo of Lawrence, Kan., Suzanne T. Sargent of Germantown and Anthony R. Tuozzo of Kensington; six grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Anthony Paul Gregory

Communications Specialist

Anthony Paul Gregory, 84, a technical specialist with the Defense Communications Agency, died of heart disease July 18 at Reston Hospital Center. He lived in Reston.

Mr. Gregory was a Washington native whose name at birth was Antonio Paolo DiGregorio. He legally changed his name about 1949.

He was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School, where he showed a particular aptitude for engineering and mechanical subjects. He spent five years as a jeweler's apprentice at Woodward & Lothrop department store.

During World War II, he served in the Army Signal Corps, working primarily at the Pentagon on teletype machines. After the war, he joined the Defense Communications Agency, now known as the Defense Information Systems Agency.

He was one of the technical experts who designed circuitry and other equipment for the telephone hotline linking the White House and the Kremlin in Moscow during the Cold War.

Mr. Gregory's assignments sometimes took him overseas, and he had a patent for an improvement to teletype equipment. He retired in 1978 after working for 33 years.

In his spare time, Mr. Gregory repaired clocks, watches, jewelry, televisions and cars. In recent years, he helped friends with their computers.

After growing up in the District, he lived in Arlington, Falls Church and, for the past 20 years, Reston. He was a Mason and a deacon at Westover Baptist Church in Arlington.

His wife of 61 years, Margaret Rolen Gregory, died in 2003.

Survivors include three children, Alice DiGregorio of Wellfleet, Mass., Alfred Gregory of San Jose and Donald Gregory of McLean; and six grandchildren.

John P. Janke

Real Estate Broker

John P. Janke, 63, a Capitol Hill real estate broker who had worked for Randall Hagner Co. since 1997, died Aug. 12 at the Community Hospice of Washington. He had cancer.

Mr. Janke spent his early career in the Navy and with the Transportation Department, where he was an editor for an auto insurance study.

He did real estate work part time before he joined Kraemer and Co. in 1972. In 1980, he and Kraemer colleague Linda Barnes founded City Sites Inc., later known as Barbara Held/City Sites Real Estate.

In 1996, their business was bought by Weichert Realtors, one of the city's largest firms.

Mr. Janke lived on Capitol Hill, where as a broker he was known for renovating properties and giving ample advice on developing gardens.

John Paul Janke was a native of Burlington, Vt., and a 1964 English graduate of Penn State University. He was president of his college social fraternity, Delta Sigma Phi.

He was a former board member of Friendship House, a historic property on Capitol Hill that functions as a social service facility.

His memberships included the Victorian Society of America, the National Association of Realtors and the Capitol Hill Restoration Society, where he had a role in organizing its annual house and garden tour.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Lucinda Prout "Cindy" Janke of Washington; two children, Jennifer Lindsay of Silver Spring and John B. Janke of Walkersville; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Carolyn Dunbar


Carolyn Roorbach Dunbar, 88, a Washington resident who did volunteer work through Jubilee Jobs and other organizations to help the unemployed and troubled, died of a heart ailment Aug. 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Dunbar was born in Philadelphia and raised in Cambridge, Mass. She was a magna cum laude biology graduate of Radcliffe College.

In 1941, she married a Foreign Service officer and accompanied him on his assignments, mostly in Africa. She volunteered in medical clinics there. She settled in the Washington area in 1950.

She was a former docent at Washington National Cathedral.

She was a member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church and the Church of the Saviour, both in Washington, and was active in the Moral Re-Armament world-harmony movement.

She enjoyed swimming, walking and summers at a family retreat in Maine. She painted in oils and watercolors.

Her husband, William H. Dunbar, died in 1988.

Survivors include two children, Robert Dunbar of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and Anne Walston of England; a sister; a brother; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Harold E. 'Hal' Gould

Airline Pilot, Amateur Golfer

Harold Earl "Hal" Gould, 82, a retired airline pilot for US Airways who in retirement qualified for amateur golfing tournaments worldwide, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 9 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Gould was born in Pittsburgh, where he played semipro baseball for a city team. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces and became an instructor pilot.

After the war, he settled in the Washington area and was a flight instructor at the old Beacon Field airport in Alexandria.

In 1949, he joined All American Airways, a precursor to US Airways. Before retiring in 1983, he was chairman of the US Airways central air safety committee as well as the crew scheduling committee.

He was a member of Belle Haven Country Club in Alexandria and the Society of Seniors, a golfing group. He rated courses for Golf Digest magazine.

In retirement, he qualified for a variety of golf tournaments in the United States, Canada and England. He qualified for the United States Senior Open twice and the United States Senior Amateur six times.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Hiers Gould, whom he married in 1948, of Alexandria; two children, Susan Walker and Richard T. Gould, both of Alexandria; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Clarence Gregory Pechacek


Clarence Gregory Pechacek, 95, who practiced law in Washington for 50 years before retiring in 1993, died of pneumonia Aug. 8 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He was a longtime Washington resident.

In 1941, he began as a lawyer with Rover, Rafferty, and Horning, and he retired from Hamilton and Hamilton. He worked for 40 years with the Asian Relief Society. He helped draft the group's bylaws and constitution and served as counsel.

Mr. Pechacek was born in Sioux City, Iowa, attended Iowa State College and received a doctor of jurisprudence degree from Georgetown University in 1938.

From 1943 to 1946, he served in the Army. Commissioned as a captain, he was a trial judge advocate with the 8th Air Force and 8th Fighter Command in the European theater of operations from 1944 to 1946.

Mr. Pechacek was a member of the Lawyers Club of Washington, the Barristers, the University Club and the Chevy Chase Club. He also was a member of Church of the Annunciation in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 30 years, Wilma Witherow Wood Pechacek of Washington; two stepchildren, Le Rowell of Washington and Newton Oliver Wood III of Oakton; and a sister.

John M. Smothers

Clinical Psychologist

John M. Smothers, 72, a Bethesda clinical psychologist and former chief psychologist at St. Elizabeths Hospital, died Aug. 11 at Suburban Hospital after a sudden rupture of an aortic aneurysm.

Dr. Smothers was born in Geneva, Ill., and received his bachelor's and master's degrees, both in psychology, from the University of Chicago in 1955. He received his doctorate in psychology from the university in 1961.

He served in the Army from 1960 to 1963. With the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Ky., he was chief psychologist with the Mental Hygiene Consultation Service.

He was staff psychologist and coordinator of community psychology for the District's juvenile court from 1963 to 1966 and chief psychologist for the city's adult treatment program at Area C Community Health Center from 1966 to 1969. He was coordinator of psychology and director of clinical psychology training at the mental health center from 1969 to 1972.

Dr. Smothers taught psychology at George Washington University from 1966 to 1969 and at the University of Maryland from 1964 to 1979. He joined St. Elizabeths as unit director in acute psychiatric admissions in its Richardson division in 1972. He stayed at St. Elizabeths until 1983, serving as chief psychologist for the last four years.

He maintained a private practice in clinical psychology in Bethesda from 1964 until his death. He also was director of psychology for Medical Quality Management and Neurology Services Inc., based in Fairfax and the District, and an associate therapist with Affiliated Community Counselors in Rockville.

He was a parishioner and usher at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington and a member of the Knights of Columbus.

His marriage to Madelaine Gregg Smothers ended in divorce.

A stepson, Jay Hanna, died in 1998.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Barbara Smothers of Bethesda; two daughters from his first marriage, Megan Smothers Eckard and Keelin Smothers Kuipers, both of Bethesda; a stepdaughter from his second marriage, Christine Hanna Ramsdell of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.

Bernard Stier


Bernard Stier, 75, who owned and operated an optometry practice in Alexandria from 1956 to the mid-1990s, died Aug. 13 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He had pneumonia.

Dr. Stier, an Arlington resident, began his practice with his uncle, Moses Katz, who died in 1958. Dr. Stier largely retired after a stroke in 1984 but continued to run the business for about a decade.

He was a native of Mount Vernon, N.Y., and a graduate of Columbia University and its optometry school. He was an Army optometrist from 1953 to 1956.

He was a member and former president of Agudas Achim Congregation in Alexandria.

His wife of 42 years, June Weintraub Stier, died in 1999.

Survivors include four children, Mitchell Stier of Tenafly, N.J., David Stier of Oakton, Jonathan Stier of Seattle and Jennifer Stier of Denver; and five grandchildren.