William J. Fedeli, 95, a retired architect who helped establish architectural standards for new post offices and courthouses, died Aug. 12 of congestive heart failure at Suburban Hospital. He was a Chevy Chase resident.
Mr. Fedeli was born in Philadelphia and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1934. After graduation, he moved to Washington, where he worked as a government architect for the Army Quartermaster Corps, helping produce plans for Army and Army Air Corps facilities worldwide.
He joined the Army Reserve in 1940 and was commissioned a second lieutenant. Called to active duty in 1941, he became a quartermaster instructor in Philadelphia and then moved with his unit to Fort Lee, Va.
In June 1942, he participated in the formation of the Women's Army Corps officer candidate school at Fort Des Moines, Iowa. After the first class of WAC officers was commissioned, the female officers took over management of the headquarters, and Mr. Fedeli became a commandant for enlisted WACs.
In 1943, he shipped out to Europe, where he was involved in readying materials for the Allied invasion at Normandy's Omaha Beach. He landed at Omaha Beach three weeks after D-Day and served in France, Holland and Germany with the 1st Army Quartermaster Corps. He also was called to active duty in the Korean War. He retired with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Mr. Fedeli joined the Public Building Service of the General Services Administration after World War II and in 1950 joined the Post Office Department as an architect. In 1966, he received a master's degree in city and regional planning from Catholic University.
He retired from government service in 1970 and joined the firm of Ralph M. Parsons, where he was in charge of the architectural aspects of post office design contracts. He retired again in 1978.
In retirement, he painted watercolors documenting his travel to Russia, Italy, Egypt, Greece, Brazil, Colombia and elsewhere around the globe. An amateur movie photographer, he provided footage from World War II and Korea to the History Channel.
In 1999, Mr. Fedeli and his wife created an endowed fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Design; the fellowship provides a major portion of a selected student's tuition. They also made a gift to the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Fine Arts to endow a fellowship in architecture.
His wife, Flora Caporiccio Fedeli, died in 2000.
Survivors include a brother.