The Aug. 17 obituary of Lillian Hannan Lauer Marshall gave an incorrect birthplace. She was born in Bridgeton, N.J. (Published 8/18/2005)

Seymour Hirsch

Civil Engineer, Violinist

Seymour Hirsch, 70, a retired civil engineer with Metro and a violinist, died of cancer Aug. 9 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Hirsch was a Pittsburgh native and a 1957 civil engineering graduate of what is now Carnegie Mellon University. He received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University in the late 1970s.

He joined Metro in 1962 and worked as a civil engineer until he retired in 1995.

He began playing the violin at a young age and soloed with the Pittsburgh Symphony at 17. Over the years, he played with the Richmond, Roanoke and Arlington symphonies and with numerous string quartets and chamber orchestras. He also was a member of the pit orchestra and served as treasurer for the Washington Savoyards, the city's premier Gilbert and Sullivan light opera company.

Even after his cancer was diagnosed in April 2003, he continued to play with the Arlington Symphony and to bike 12 miles daily throughout the Washington area. A world traveler, he particularly enjoyed visiting Spain and Israel.

Although he was not the well-known investigative journalist with the homonymous name, Mr. Hirsch grew accustomed over the years to being asked, "Are you the Seymour Hersh?"

He invariably answered, "Yes, I am the Seymour Hirsch!"

"Indeed he was," his daughter remarked.

His marriages to Brenda Cooper Hirsch and Deborah Anderson Hirsch ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children from his first marriage, Ruth Hirsch Crocker of Alexandria and Michael Hirsch of New York; and two granddaughters.

Joan David Hayes

Editor, Lobbyist, Stockbroker

Joan David Hayes, 89, a former editor, lobbyist and stockbroker in Washington who became a Democratic member of the Hawaii legislature, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 6 at her home in San Francisco.

Mrs. Hayes was born Joan Eames in Cincinnati and raised around Boston. She was a 1937 graduate of Radcliffe College and soon settled in the Washington area.

She wrote for magazines, including the New Republic and the American Foreign Service Journal, before serving as managing editor of the second from 1948 to 1952. She wrote a book, "Inside the State Department: How It Works at Home and Abroad" (1952).

In 1956, she helped start a lobbying business, National Counsel Associates, and she did lobbying work to lower postal rates for catalogue companies.

In the 1960s, she was a stockbroker for Bache & Co., and she moved to Hawaii in 1968 with her second husband, a State Department employee. There, she joined the American Association of University Women and became active in the ultimately successful campaign, in 1970, to repeal a state law that criminalized abortions.

She grew further involved in civic activism, culminating in her time in the Hawaii House of Representatives from 1982 to 1990.

Her marriage to Nathan David ended in divorce. Her second husband, John Hayes, died in 1979. A daughter from her first marriage, Deborah Dewar, died in 1985.

Survivors include her husband, Robert Hewett, whom she married in 1983, of San Francisco; two sons from the first marriage, Steven David and Tony David, both of San Francisco; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Mary D.R. Sullivan

Military Wife, Volunteer

Mary Dawne Rutherford Sullivan, 83, who was active in the Officers' Wives' Club and who volunteered with her children's schools for 25 years, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 8 at her home in Fairfax.

Mrs. Sullivan was born in Bristol, Tenn., and grew up in New Lebanon, Ohio, where she played on the 1938 and 1939 girls championship basketball teams.

She married in 1946 and accompanied her husband on tours of duty with the Air Force, including postings in England and Hawaii.

A resident of the Washington area since 1965, Mrs. Sullivan, a mother of 10, volunteered at Groveton High School, now West Potomac High, in Alexandria and Crossland High School in Temple Hills.

She was a community volunteer for the American Heart Association in several cities across the country, including Alexandria and Camp Springs. In 1963, while stationed at Hickam Air Force Base in Honolulu, Mrs. Sullivan was honored as mother of the year by the Military Press.

An avid basketball fan, she supported the Maryland Terrapins and the Washington Wizards. She also was a crossword puzzle enthusiast and "Jeopardy!" game show devotee.

Her husband, William J. Sullivan, a retired Air Force colonel, died in 1981. A daughter, Mary Jane Sullivan, died in 1991.

Survivors include nine children, William Sullivan of Washington, John Sullivan of Memphis, Thomas Sullivan of Ashburn, Beth Sullivan of Pacific Palisades, Calif., Sean Sullivan, Sheila Sullivan and Anne Sullivan, all of Dallas, and Trish Smith and Colleen Sullivan of Fairfax; and five grandchildren.

Howard L. 'Mark' Markham

Graphics Illustrator

Howard L. "Mark" Markham, 67, a graphics illustrator with the Central Intelligence Agency, died Aug. 11 of lung cancer at his home in La Plata.

Mr. Markham was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., and served in the Air Force in Germany in the 1950s and early 1960s. He joined the CIA as a graphics illustrator in 1965 and retired in 1993.

His family said he was known for his wit and generosity.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Roseanne Markham of La Plata; two daughters, Michelle Kramer of Reston and Monique Markham of La Plata; and his father, Howard L. Markham Sr. of Grand Rapids.

Peter Kirsch

Public Affairs Officer

Peter Kirsch, 67, who retired in 1995 from the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. as director of communication, died Aug. 6 of a brain tumor at the Columbia Hospice Center in Milwaukee.

He was born in Milwaukee and graduated from Marquette University. He received two master's degrees, in law and journalism, from the University of Wisconsin in the 1960s. He served in the Navy in the late 1950s to early 1960s.

He came to the Washington area in the early 1970s to work at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare under Joseph A. Califano. He served in the late 1970s as spokesman for HEW's Health Care Financing Administration and worked in public affairs for several other government agencies.

Mr. Kirsch lived in Vienna before returning to Milwaukee in 1999.

His marriages to Jeanne Kirsch, Cindy Kirsch and Maria Kirsch ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children from his first marriage, Peter Kirsch of Kensington, Sharie Sober of Vienna, Kathryn Ricketts of Holland, Mich., and Paula Rezza of Chicago; and six grandchildren.

Margaret 'Jo' Garrett Stearns


Margaret Josephine "Jo" Garrett Stearns, 81, who did secretarial work for the Fairfax County Federation of Teachers from 1979 to 1988, died Aug. 7 of pulmonary fibrosis at the Capital Hospice of Arlington. She was a resident of Springfield.

She was born Decatur, Ala., and grew up in Washington. She graduated from Eastern High School and was a secretary with the Reconstruction Finance Corp. from 1942 to 1950.

She went to work for the Defense Supply Agency in the 1960s and retired in 1979.

She was a charter member, along with her husband, of St. John's United Methodist Church in Springfield. Church and travel were central to her life.

Her husband of 52 years, Harry William Stearns, died in 1999.

Survivors include two sons, Bill Stearns of Springfield and Rick Stearns of Rocky Mount, N.C. ; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Thomas A. Murray

Furniture Salesman

Thomas A. Murray, 83, who supplied furniture to Washington area furniture dealers, died Aug. 11 at Washington Hospital Center of complications from cancer. He had lived in Ocean Pines, Md., for the past year.

Mr. Murray was born in Staten Island, N.Y., and came to Washington in 1938 to attend Catholic University. He later received bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting from Benjamin Franklin University in Washington.

He lived in Hyattsville for many years and was a manufacturer's representative of Brandt Cabinet Works and Beachley Furniture Co., both of Hagerstown, Md. Mr. Murray sold the furniture directly from the factories to furniture outlets.

He moved to Hagerstown in 1967 but continued to sell furniture to stores and interior designers in the Washington area until his retirement in 2000.

He lived in Chevy Chase for two years before moving to Ocean Pines.

He had been a member of St. John Baptist de la Salle Catholic Church in Hyattsville and of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Mary F. Connolly Murray of Ocean Pines; six children, Jinx Oliver of Burke, Tom Murray of Woodbine, JoAnne Kane of Avon, Minn., Kevin Murray of Fairfax County, Carole Yozamp of St. Cloud, Minn., and Brian Murray of Sykesville, Md.; 16 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Charles W. McCaskill

Foreign Service Officer

Charles W. McCaskill, 82, a Foreign Service officer in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, died Aug. 13 at the Greenspring retirement home in Springfield, where he lived. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. McCaskill joined the Foreign Service in 1947 and first served as a visa officer in Germany. He studied the Greek language and took advanced training at Princeton University before being posted in Greece (1957-60) and Cyprus (1960-64).

He served as political officer in Iran from 1964 to 1968 and later was stationed in India, as senior political officer in Bombay (1972-75) and consul general in Madras (1975-78). His final overseas posting, from 1978 to 1982, was in Athens.

Mr. McCaskill was born in Camden, S.C., and served in the Army in World War II. After graduating from the Citadel in Charleston, S.C., he received a master's degree in history and political science from the University of South Carolina in 1948.

He lived in Fairfax County before moving to Springfield two years ago.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Jacqueline H. McCaskill of Springfield; two sons, Charles W. McCaskill Jr. of Vienna and Stephen H. McCaskill of Richmond; and one grandson.

Lillian Hannan Lauer Marshall

Teacher's Aide

Lillian Hannan Lauer Marshall, 78, who taught English in T.C. Williams High School's CETA Summer School Program and assisted as a teacher's aide at several Alexandria schools, died Aug. 9 of a stroke at her home in Alexandria.

She worked in the Alexandria Public School System for about 10 years, before retiring in 1980. She was a teacher's aide at John Tyler Elementary, George Washington Middle School and T. C. Williams High School.

Mrs. Marshall, a Falls Church native, received a bachelor's degree in education from Mary Washington College in 1948.

She was a 45-year member and a former Sunday school teacher at the Old Presbyterian Meeting House in Alexandria. She served as secretary and president of the Phi Master Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi sorority. She also was chaplain of the Fairfax County Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.

She was a founding member and secretary of the Marshall Hall Foundation, a historic preservation nonprofit.

Her husband, William E. Marshall III, died in 1980.

Survivors include three children, Margaret Marshall of Fairfax, Maryjane Marshall Lehman of Annandale and William Marshall of Dover, N.H.; and a grandson.

Afaf Tahsin Bey Maged

Diplomat's Wife, Boutique Owner

Afaf Tahsin Bey Maged, 81, the widow of a former Syrian diplomat and the former owner of a Watergate shop specializing in Middle Eastern novelties, died Aug. 15 of congestive heart failure at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She was a Chevy Chase resident.

Mrs. Maged was born in Damascus, Syria, the daughter of Said Tahsin Bey, the dean of Syrian nationalist painters. She attended school in Damascus and, after the French invaded Syria in the 1930s, in Baghdad. She spoke fluent French, English, Spanish and Arabic.

After her marriage, she lived first in Cairo and then in Ottawa, where her husband served as ambassador from the United Arab Republic. She lived in Washington from 1961 to 1964 during her husband's tenure as Syria's charge d'affaires. She lived in Damascus from 1964 to 1967, when her husband became the Syrian ambassador to Venezuela.

Her husband left the diplomatic corps in 1967 over differences with the Baathist regime ruling Syria. With dual citizenship, the couple lived for two years in Beirut before moving back to Canada in 1970 and to Washington in 1971.

In 1972, Mrs. Maged and her husband opened Afaf Boutique at Les Champs in the Watergate, where they lived. They had two other shops, Femina 1 on Connecticut Avenue and Femina 2 on Jefferson Place, before retiring in the mid-1980s.

Mrs. Maged's authentic Damascene cuisine was legendary. She also was a masterful bridge player.

Her husband, Walid Maged, died in 1994.

Survivors include four children, Nada Taki of Potomac and Beirut, Toufic Maged of Potomac Falls, Mo Maged of Chevy Chase and Heba Kahale of Beirut; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Lillian Marshall worked in Alexandria schools for about 10 years.Seymour Hirsch soloed with the Pittsburgh Symphony at 17.