* Elementary: 138.
* Middle: 28.
* High: 22.
* Specialty/alternative/other: 11.
* New: Suitland Elementary, Whitehall Elementary in Bowie, William W. Hall Elementary in Capitol Heights.
* Rebuilt/reconfigured: Bladensburg High, rebuilt; Samuel Ogle Elementary in Bowie becomes Samuel Ogle Middle.
* Schools scheduled to open in 2006: A high school in Upper Marlboro, an elementary school in Bowie and an elementary school in Hyattsville.
* Teachers projected as new hires to the school system this year: 950.
* Starting minimum salary for teachers: $34,090 for those with provisional certification, $39,438 for those certified and with a bachelor's degree.
* Maximum salary for teachers: $80,774 for those who hold doctorates and are on the 20th step of the salary scale.
(Robert Goddard French Immersion and Montessori counts as two schools but has only one principal. The same is true for John Hanson French Immersion and Montessori.)
* Principals starting new assignments: about 30.
* Starting minimum salary for principals: $79,055 for elementary.
* Maximum salary for principals: $114,304 for high school.
* Assistant and vice principals: 340.
* Librarians: 200.
* Nurses: 170.
* Custodians: 1,200.
Projected student enrollment
* Elementary: 67,910.
* Middle: 22,269.
* High: 42,716.
* Special centers: 713.
* Pre-kindergarten: 5,802.
* Enrollment on Sept. 30, 2004: 136,095.
* Statewide enrollment rank: second, behind Montgomery County.
* Estimated miles school buses will drive this year: 22 million.
Full price of a typical lunch
in elementary school
Full price of typical lunch
in secondary school
Percent of students last year
eligible for free or reduced-price meals
Number of days
in the school year for students
for 2005-06, in billions
* Percent increase from 2004-05: 9.
* Interim chief executive: Howard A. Burnett.
* Burnett's salary: $100 per hour, for up to 50 hours a week.
SOURCE: Prince George's County public schools
-- Compiled by NICK ANDERSON