SQUARE DANCING -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, for members. 301-893-1974.
SWING AND BALLROOM -- 7-11 p.m. Saturday. Beginner's class 7-8 p.m. and dance music 8-11 p.m. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus of Holy Face Church. Held in the gym of St. Michael's School, Ridge. Admission: $8; $15, couple; $5, seniors and students. 301-862-0133.
DANCE CLASSES -- 6-7:30 p.m. Sundays. Held by the Southern Maryland Modern Dance Collective, for ages 13 and older. Black Belt Academy, Wildewood Shopping Center, Wildewood. Drop-in fee, $10; 10-class card, $75. 301-862-1072 or www.moderndancecollective.com.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND CONCERT BAND -- 7-9 p.m. today. Final show of the Summer Family Concerts on the Green series with a town-sponsored cookout. No pets or alcoholic beverages permitted. Village Green Pavilion, 100 Walter Scott Rd., Indian Head. Free. 301-743-5511.
AL PETTEWAY AND AMY WHITE -- 8 p.m. Friday. Duo performs a blend of contemporary and traditional Celtic-influenced instrumentals. Accokeek Foundation Education Center, 3400 Bryan Point Rd., Accokeek. $15. 301-283-2113, Ext. 13.
AUSTIN CODY AND THE CROSSROAD CONNECTION -- 7-9 p.m. tomorrow. Part of the La Plata Summer Concert Series. Lawn chairs and blankets recommended. No pets or alcoholic beverages allowed. La Plata Town Hall, 305 Queen Anne St., La Plata. Free. Parking available at Sacred Heart Church. 301-934-8421.
"KIDS 'N' CRITTERS" -- 10 a.m. Saturday and Wednesday. Ages 3 to 5 years take a nature walk to the creek to see what the group can find that lives there. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3, general admission; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327 or 800-735-2258.
GARDEN IN A JAR -- 3 p.m. Saturday. Program on creating mini-gardens, hosted by a naturalist for adults and families. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. $7 per jar garden; $5 per jar garden for Battle Creek Nature Education Society members or children with paid adult. 410-535-5327 or 800-735-2258. www.calvertparks.org/kingslanding.htm.
SUMMER'S END -- 8 p.m. Saturday. Evening campfire to observe and celebrate the changing of the seasons. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. $3 per person; $1 per child with paying adult. 410-535-5327 or 800-735-2258. www.calvertparks.org/kingslanding.htm.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program for ages 2 months to 12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
FAMILY BOOK DISCUSSION -- The Calvert Library invites parents and children entering fourth to sixth grade to meet to discuss Blue Balliett's "Chasing Vermeer." The first 15 families to register receive a free copy of the book provided by the Calvert Literacy Council. Free.
* 7 p.m. Tuesday. Twin Beaches branch, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
* 7 p.m. Wednesday. Prince Frederick branch, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
* 7 p.m. next Thursday. Fairview branch, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 7 p.m. next Thursday. Southern branch, 20 Appeal Way, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Monday. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. Made possible through a grant from the St. Mary's County Arts Council, awarded by the Maryland State Arts Council with matching funds from Target Corp. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html. Free.
* 9:45 a.m. or 10:30 a.m., Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park.
* 10:30 a.m., Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown.
SUMMER STORY TIMES -- At Calvert library branches. Free. No registration required.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays, Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 a.m., Wednesdays and Saturdays, Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Thursdays. La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001 or 301-645-3319.
AFTERNOON KIDS' CLUB -- Throughout the summer at Charles library locations. Free.
* 1:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Potomac library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1:30 p.m., Wednesdays, P.D. Brown library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 1:30 p.m., Thursdays, La Plata library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson (drawings and other works) and Colleen Sabo (watercolors). Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
PATRICIA BERUBE -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Gallery show featuring the artist's landscape paintings in oils and acrylics. Annmarie Gallery, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
ALL-MEDIA MEMBER EXHIBITION -- Though Sept. 4. Gallery opens 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Featuring artwork by Mattawoman Creek Art Center members in a variety of media. The Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Route 224, Marbury. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- Beginning Monday, through Sept. 25. Open 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Works by artist Joseph Holston. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, Fine Arts Center, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7828.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m. to dusk. Saturdays and Sundays, beginning Saturday, through Nov. 30. A corn maze hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
AL PETTEWAY GUITAR WORKSHOP -- 1 p.m. Saturday. Lessons from the Grammy Award-winning artist. Accokeek Foundation Education Center, 3400 Bryan Point Rd., Accokeek. $40. 301-283-2113, Ext. 10.
SIDEWALK CHALK-A-THON -- 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. daily, through tomorrow. Artists of all ages are invited to grab chalk from the Annmarie Garden office and decorate an assigned spot along the wooded path. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Dowell. Free. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
BASEBALL TEAM REGISTRATION -- The following leagues will be holding registration for their fall seasons:
* St. Mary's American Little League -- 6-8 p.m. Wednesday and Aug. 26 and 31. There are two baseball leagues for boys ages 8 to 11 and 12 to 15. A fast pitch softball league is offered to girls ages 8 to 13. Season begins Sept. 12 and ends Oct. 28. $30 per player; $90 for family of three or more. Chancellor's Run Regional Park, 21905 Chancellor's Run Rd., California. 301-373-5748. Online registration available at www.eteamz.com/small.
* Hughesville Baseball Association -- 6-8 p.m. Wednesday; 10 a.m.-noon Aug. 27. League signup for baseball for ages 8 to 15, softball for ages 8 to 16 and tee ball for ages 5 to 7. Hughesville Firehouse, 15245 Prince Frederick Rd., Hughesville. $50 per player; $100 maximum per family. www.hughesvillebaseball.org.
"JAMMIN' FOR JOSHUA" -- 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. A four-band benefit concert and silent auction to raise money for Joshua Gibson, a 5-year-old Calvert County boy with autism and apraxia. Each attendee is registered to win an HD-TV. Held rain or shine, either inside or outside Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 89, 2905 Old Largo Rd., Upper Marlboro. Admission is free, with a suggested donation of $10. If unable to attend, checks to the "Joshua Gibson Rehabilitation Fund" can be mailed to the F.O.P. Lodge 89. 301-785-3100 or www.fop89.org.
COMMUNITY APPRECIATION DAY -- 1-4 p.m. Sunday. A festival with music, food, games, demonstrations and a visit from the Bryans Road Fire Department and Rescue Squad and the Naval Surface Warfare Center. Sponsored by the Charles County Public Library. Ruth B. Swann Memorial Park, Indian Head Highway, Bryans Road. 301-934-9001.
"GODSPELL" -- Runs through Aug. 28. 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays. Presented by the Black Box Theatre in the Indian Head Center for the Arts. Adults, $18; seniors and students, $15. Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Box office, 301-743-3040; tickets by phone, 800-494-8497; online at www.floatingtheatre.org, click on Buy Tickets.
NEWTOWNE PLAYERS AUDITIONS -- 7 p.m. Through Saturday. Parts are open for men, women and a few children for the Newtowne Players' production of Orson Welles's radio broadcast of the H.G. Wells novel "War of the Worlds." Workers are also needed for stage crew, wardrobe, makeup, props, ushers and sound effects. The production will be staged Oct. 6-16. Three Notch Theatre, 21477 S Coral Dr., Lexington Park. 301-737-5447 or 301-863-6814.
CHAPTICO CLASSIC -- 7 a.m. registration; 8 a.m. race. Aug. 27. 10K and 5K road race or 5K walk. Proceeds support Alternatives for Youth and Families programs. Christ Episcopal Church, 37501 Zach Fowler Rd., Chaptico. $30 registration fee. For applications, call 301-884-0312 or visit www.alternatives4youth.org.
"CRUISIN' CRAB FEAST" -- 6-8 p.m. Sept. 2. Crab feast aboard a skipjack on the St. Mary's River. Chesapeake Bay Field Lab, 16129 Piney Point Rd., Piney Point. $40. 301-994-2245. www.skipjacktours.com.
"MURDER ME ALWAYS" -- 7 p.m. Aug. 27. Audience participation murder mystery theater presented by the Patuxent Playhouse. Dinner is served at 7 p.m.; show begins at 8 p.m. Proceeds benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Southern Maryland. Chesapeake Ranch Estates Clubhouse, 395 Clubhouse Dr., Lusby. For tickets, call 410-326-200 or visit www.patuxentplayhouse.com.
GOLF TOURNAMENT AND AUCTION -- Sept. 9. The F. George Heinze III Golf Classic, Dinner and Auction will benefit the Southern Maryland Chapter of the American Red Cross. Deadline to register is Aug. 26. Swan Point Yacht and Country Club, 11550 Swan Point Blvd., Swan Point. $135 per golfer, includes lunch and dinner; $35 dinner cost for non-golfers. 301-934-2066 or 888-276-2767.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Theater and shopping trips and cruises. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, or www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Aug. 31. A trip to the Three Little Bakers Dinner Theatre in Wilmington, Del., to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra. $90.
* Sept. 11. A trip to the annual Polish American Festival at Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown, Pa. Includes transportation, festival admission and driver gratuity. $50.
* Sept. 24. A trip to Frederick and Emmitsburg for the Saints and Sinners Tour. Includes transportation, dinner, show and driver gratuity. $90.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.