Paul Harry Jaeger

Construction Manager

Paul Harry Jaeger, 47, construction superintendent for Centex Construction Co. for more than five years, died of liver failure Aug. 15 at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Jaeger was born in 1958 in Bayonne, N.J., and grew up in Falls Church. He graduated from George C. Marshall High School in 1976 and attended George Mason University in Fairfax until embarking on a career in construction.

While working for the Washington-based construction company Kora & Williams in the 1980s, Mr. Jaeger was responsible for numerous projects, including the Founders Library at Howard University and the student dorms at George Mason.

In 1986, he founded Professional Construction Management and for 13 years provided construction services throughout the Washington area. He received the Administrator's Award of Merit -- Urban Mass Transportation Administration from the U.S. Department of Transportation in 1989 and was awarded a national finalist certificate in the Engineering Excellence Awards Competition from the American Consulting Engineers Council in 1990.

Active as a community service volunteer, Mr. Jaeger spent 10 years as a docent at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. His love of history and easygoing nature made him a natural for the post, and he was a favorite of museum visitors, his family said.

He also volunteered in the exhibits department at the museum, and he helped refurbish the model of the Columbia space shuttle. He became an exhibition specialist for the museum in 1999, working on such projects as painting a wall mural of the solar system.

For eight years, Mr. Jaeger volunteered with Goodwill Industries and assisted with its annual book sale.

In 2000, Mr. Jaeger began working for Centex Construction of Fairfax, where he completed a five-year project to build a tunnel under Dulles International Airport.

Mr. Jaeger had many hobbies and interests, including trains and model railroading. He was a charter member of the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Historical Society.

Survivors include his wife, Grace Jaeger of Arlington; his mother, June M. Jaeger of Falls Church; and five sisters, Diane Pittman of McLean, Jody Raskind Phillips of Vienna, Susan Jaeger of Fairfax, Cathy Daum of Sterling and Ellen Loszynski of Falls Church.

Judith A. House

Quilt Artist

Judith A. House, 65, a well-known quilt artist, died of breast and ovarian cancer July 28 at her Annandale home.

Mrs. House began quilting in 1986 as a traditional quilter and eventually became a quilt artist. She taught at the Quilt Patch in Fairfax and lectured on art quilting. Her work was recognized at local and national quilt shows.

At the time of her death, she was leading a group of contemporary quilters who were creating quilts for donation to Walter Reed Army Medical Center's Hematology and Oncology Infusion Center and Ward. The project is expected to be completed in November.

Mrs. House was born in Evanston Ill., and as a young child moved to Orinda, Calif.

She graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in nursing and worked in that field.

She married in 1962, and during her husband's Navy career, they traveled extensively to the Far East, Hawaii, Philadelphia and Maine. She also lived in Japan and the Philippines, where she worked as a fabric buyer for the Navy Exchange.

She lived in the Washington area from 1981 to 1984 and settled in Northern Virginia in 1991.

She was an avid golfer, participated in theater as an actress and director, was active in military wives' clubs and taught Japanese flower arranging, or ikebana.

Survivors include her husband, retired Navy Capt. Steven House of Annandale; three children, Dr. Michael House of Belmont, Mass., Sarah O'Brien of Burke and Adam House of Montclair, N.J.; and seven grandchildren.

Pauline A. Lipsitz


Pauline A. Lipsitz, 86, a homemaker who overcame diabetes and blindness, died Aug. 9 of renal failure and complications from a fall. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Lipsitz, was born in Lawrence, Mass., and her diabetes was diagnosed when she was 4. An early patient of Elliott P. Joslin, a pioneer in the treatment of the disease, she began receiving insulin in 1924. She handled her insulin injections so well that she became a regular presence at Joslin's hospital and taught other children how to administer their shots.

She was married in 1942. She moved to Washington during World War II when her husband was assigned to the Pentagon. Mrs. Lipsitz took a job as a bookkeeper at Castleberg's Jewelers.

In 1945, while crossing a street after work, she suffered detached retinas and lost her eyesight permanently.

She later gave birth to two children and cared for her family at home. In spite of her handicap, she continued to prepare meals at home and was considered an excellent cook. She would reach into a sizzling skillet with her fingers to determine by touch when food, such as her signature meatballs, was done.

She also did other household chores, such as laundry, ironing and home decorating.

Her favorite pastime was listening to music, and she would tap her feet, clap and sing along to her favorite songs. She learned Braille and listened to books on tape.

Within the past year, Mrs. Lipsitz received the Joslin Award from the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston in recognition of her achievement of living with diabetes for more than 75 years.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Herbert Lipsitz of Silver Spring; two children, Robin Lichterman of Silver Spring and Marc Lipsitz of Sandy Spring; and one granddaughter.

Barbara J. Greenough

Homemaker, Office Assistant

Barbara J. Greenough, 80, a homemaker and volunteer who assisted in her husband's business for 24 years, died of cancer Aug. 10 at Casey House in Rockville. She had been a resident of Wheaton and Rockville for 56 years.

From 1975 to 1999, Mrs. Greenough did office work with her husband, who consulted with several government and commercial agencies.

She was born in Schenectady, N.Y., and graduated from St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y., with a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1945. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She then joined the old National Bureau of Standards for four years, conducting uranium ore analyses.

For two years, she was as a substitute teacher of mathematics and chemistry in Montgomery County high schools.

Mrs. Greenough worked for many years as a volunteer with the nonprofit Over 60 Counseling and Employment Service in Bethesda. She was also a longtime member of the Wheaton Women's Club.

During and after World War II, she participated in bicycle tours in the eastern United States and Canada. Her hobbies included square dancing, playing the piano and sewing.

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Maurice Leighton Greenough of Rockville; and a son, Nevell L. Greenough of Hamilton Square, N.J.

William Eugene Reynolds

CIA Senior Intelligence Officer

William Eugene Reynolds, 73, who retired from the Central Intelligence Agency as a senior intelligence officer and member of the Senior Intelligence Service in 1987, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 2 at Prince William Hospital. He lived in Haymarket.

Mr. Reynolds served for 25 years with the CIA as operations, program and administration manager. After retiring, he worked for the CIA as an independent contractor in the Office of Signals Intelligence Operations and for the investigations staff in the Office of Inspector General until his death.

He was born in St. Joseph, Mo., and was a high school all-American in football, all-city in basketball and a track star. He played football at the University of Missouri until injuries ended his career. At college, he also was a member of ROTC and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. He graduated in 1955.

From 1955 to 1962, he was an Air Force intelligence officer and was stationed at the Sculthorpe air base in England for the first three years. He left the Air Force with the rank of major.

Mr. Reynolds lived in the Washington area for 43 years, 40 of those in the same house in Springfield.

His honors include the CIA Exceptional Accomplishment Award in 1982 and the CIA Intelligence Medal of Merit in 1987.

He was a member of the Northwest Federal Credit Union board of directors from 1986 until his death.

He coached basketball and soccer for the Annandale Boys Club and volunteered with the Ravensworth Farm Civic Association. He attended St. John's United Methodist Church in Springfield and most recently McLean Bible Church in Vienna.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Nancy Reynolds of Haymarket; four children, William Jeffrey Reynolds of Sarasota, Fla., Mark R. Reynolds of Springfield, Kerri A. Mulvey of Fairfax Station and Todd M. Reynolds of Purcellville; a brother, Robert T. Reynolds of Virginia Beach; a stepmother, Dorothy Reynolds of Springfield, Mo.; and nine grandchildren.

Paul R. Fout

Horse Trainer

Paul Raymond Fout, 78, a thoroughbred-horse trainer based in Loudoun County, died Aug. 16 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington after a stroke.

Among the horses Mr. Fout trained over the years was Colstar, a million-dollar stakes winner.

Mr. Fout was born in Syracuse, N.Y., the son of a horseman. He graduated from Syracuse University and settled in the Washington area in the late 1940s.

He showed horses for many years and ran an advertising agency specializing in thoroughbreds in Middleburg.

He was a board member of the Virginia Horseman's Benevolent and Protective Association and general manager of the Middleburg Spring Race Association, where he was a former chairman and president.

He designed the Alfred Hunt steeplechase course for the Middleburg Spring Races.

A daughter, Karen Fout, died in 1957.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Eve Prime Fout of Middleburg; three children, Virginia Fout of Los Angeles and Paul Douglas Fout and Nina Fout, both of Middleburg; a brother; and two grandchildren.