Vincent John Augliere

CIA Officer, Congressional Staffer

Vincent John Augliere, 91, a former Central Intelligence Agency officer who later worked for the House of Representatives, died Aug. 16 at Avalon House, an assisted living facility in Falls Church. He had dementia.

Mr. Augliere, who was exempt from military service because of an illness, served with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration in the last two years of World War II, helping with the rebuilding effort in Europe.

He joined the CIA in the late 1940s and served as station chief in Algeria and New Zealand. After retiring from the CIA, he spent more than a decade on the staff of Rep. John E. Moss (D-Calif.), who is considered the father of the Freedom of Information Act. Mr. Augliere was staff director of the subcommittee on government operations until his retirement in 1971.

Mr. Augliere was born in Boston and attended Tufts University in Medford, Mass. He worked as an area director of the YMCA in Boston in the 1930s and early 1940s.

An accomplished baritone, he studied voice at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston. As a young man, Mr. Augliere sang with the King's Chapel Choir in Boston. He continued to sing with semiprofessional and amateur groups throughout his life.

His other interests included golf and international travel. He spoke five languages. He was a member of Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington and Rotary International.

He had lived in the Lake Barcroft community of Falls Church since 1959.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Mary Margaret "Sandy" Augliere of Falls Church; three children, Noel Marts of Atlanta, Reed Augliere of Boston and Thomas Augliere of Annandale; and eight grandchildren.

Everett C. Carter

Engineering Professor

Everett C. Carter, 72, a professor emeritus of transportation engineering at the University of Maryland, died Aug. 10 at a hospice in Reno, Nev. He had Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Carter was born in Austinville, Va., and served in the Army from 1952 to 1954. He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1958 and received a master's degree in civil engineering from the University of California at Berkeley in 1960. He received his doctorate in civil engineering in 1968 from Northwestern University.

In the 1960s, he established the transportation engineering program at West Virginia University, where he was an assistant and associate professor from 1965 to 1970. He then became a professor of transportation engineering at U-Md. from 1970 to 1998 and served on more than 100 master's and PhD committees.

Dr. Carter also assisted in a number of federal contracts performed by the university's engineering department. He was named a professor emeritus in 1998.

Dr. Carter lived in Potomac from 1970 to 2004, when he moved to Reno. He was a member of Lutheran Church of the Cross in Rockville, where he served as an usher and as a member of several church committees.

His wife of 38 years, Lois Strecker Carter, died in 2003.

Survivors include a son, Craig Carter of Reno; a brother; and two sisters.

David Peacock

Export-Import Bank Officer

David W.K. Peacock Jr., 81, a retired vice president with the Export-Import Bank in Washington, died July 30 at the Ingleside Rock Creek assisted living community in Washington, where he had lived for 15 months. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Peacock, who was born in Cleveland and raised in Flanders, N.J., had a long and varied career in government and banking, beginning as a young man with J.P. Morgan in New York.

At that time, he was a recent graduate of Princeton University and a World War II Army Air Forces veteran who had obtained the rank of second lieutenant.

He managed a dairy farm and worked in the family insurance business in New Jersey before moving to Washington in 1950 to become a Foreign Service officer. One of his assignments was serving as an aide to Secretary of State John Foster Dulles.

Mr. Peacock went on to work in the office of Sen. Kenneth B. Keating (R-N.Y.) and as a special assistant to Commerce Secretary Frederick Mueller.

In the early 1960s, Mr. Peacock switched careers, becoming an assistant vice president at American Security and Trust Co. in Washington.

He then worked from 1964 to 1968 as an investment loan officer for the International Finance Corp., which was part of the World Bank; served about a year as a deputy undersecretary of Commerce in the Nixon administration; and specialized in government sales and market research as a financial consultant for Atlantic Development Corp. in Washington.

He spent 11 years at the Export-Import Bank before retiring in 1984 and moving to Cheriton, a small town on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

In retirement, he tutored first-grade students at an elementary school and enjoyed taking a kayak or canoe on the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware River.

His marriage to Judith Peacock ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 32 years, Mary Eyre Peacock of Cheriton; a daughter and son from his first marriage, Sarah Peacock of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and Bill Peacock of Shaftsbury, Vt.; a brother; and four grandchildren.

Lisa Ray

Association Director

Lisa Ray, 74, a retired director of international programs for the Air Transport Association of America, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 13 at Heartland Health Care Center in Boca Raton, Fla. She lived in Washington before moving to Boca Raton in 1993.

She was born Liselotte Bachhofer in Munich and attended school at Neuburg on the Danube, Germany. After her marriage to an American in the mid-1950s, she moved to San Francisco and worked for Levi Strauss and Co. She became an American citizen.

She moved to Washington in the late 1950s and became an international affairs specialist in the executive offices of Pan American World Airways, where she worked until 1972, when she moved to the Air Transport Association, the trade organization of the principal U.S. airlines. As director of international programs, she worked with the federal government negotiating air rights, routes, rates and capacity issues. She retired in 1992.

Her marriage to Raymond Ray ended in divorce.

Survivors include two brothers.