David A. Marsden

Investment Adviser

David A. Marsden, 36, a director of a Washington investment management services company, died Aug. 17 after being struck by a truck while bicycling near his home in Vienna.

Mr. Marsden, a 14-year resident of the Washington area, had been an income analyst and compliance officer with Edgemoor Capital Management Inc. since 2002. He was also co-manager and vice president of the Meehan Focus Fund, a mutual fund managed by Edgemoor.

He was previously an associate financial planner with Attiliis & Associates in Alexandria, where he managed individual investment portfolios and retirement plans from 2000 to 2002. In 1999 and 2000, he was a pension analyst with the Plumbers & Pipefitters National Pension Fund in Alexandria.

From 1998 to 2002, Mr. Marsden was sole proprietor of High Peaks Asset Management, an investment advisory firm. He worked for Marriott International in Bethesda from 1994 to 1997 as a claims adjuster for general liability and workers' compensation claims. In 1994, he was finance director for a losing Republican congressional candidate in Frederick.

Mr. Marsden was born in Ann Arbor, Mich., and graduated from Whittier College in Whittier, Calif. He received a master's degree in public management from the University of Maryland in 1993.

He had been a cycling enthusiast for more than 20 years and was a member of the U.S. Cycling Federation. He had ridden on bicycle trails throughout the United States and regularly rode his bicycle to his office. He also enjoyed hiking, windsurfing, skiing and reading.

Earlier in life, Mr. Marsden had been a musician and was a drummer for a jazz band in Michigan.

He was a member of St. George's Episcopal Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of two years, Sonya Harmeyer Marsden of Vienna; a daughter, Elizabeth Faith "Elsa" Marsden of Vienna; his father, Gerald Marsden of Paradise, Mich.; and a sister.

Nancy Ellen Adams


Nancy Ellen Adams, 47, an entomologist with the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, died Aug. 20 of lymphoma at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Reston.

Ms. Adams began her career at the Museum of Natural History in 1983. At the time of her death, she was a collection manager for the museum's entomology department and was responsible for maintaining collections of aquatic insects as well as fleas, lice and scarab beetles.

During her 22 years at the museum, she went on collecting trips to Canada, Peru and Trinidad and Tobago. She also visited insect collections throughout the world and at dozens of U.S. universities. She published two catalogues on the museum's insect collection, and eight species of insects were named for her.

Ms. Adams was born in Pensacola, Fla., and grew up in Fort Walton Beach, Fla. After graduating from Okaloosa-Walton Community College in Florida, she graduated from Covenant College in Lookout Mountain, Ga. She was a teacher and naturalist at the Chattanooga Nature Center in Tennessee and at a park in Dothan, Ala., before joining the Smithsonian.

She was a member of Reston Presbyterian Church, where she was chairman of the board of deacons. She also enjoyed canoeing, birding and playing cards.

Survivors include two brothers.

Harold Y. Finck


Harold Y. Finck, 91, a longtime pediatrician in Washington and Silver Spring, died Aug. 22 of pneumonia at his home at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Dr. Finck came to Washington in the 1930s to study at Georgetown University. After completing his undergraduate education, he graduated from Georgetown's medical school in 1939 and was an intern at D.C. General Hospital, where he did his residency in pediatric medicine.

During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in Washington. After the war, he was a medical officer with the Department of Veterans Affairs and did another residency in New York City before opening a pediatric practice in Southeast Washington in 1947.

Dr. Finck moved his office to Silver Spring in 1964. He treated several generations of the same families, as many of the children and grandchildren of his early patients came to his office for care. He spent 47 years as a practicing pediatrician, with his wife serving as his nurse. He retired in 1994 at age 80.

Dr. Finck belonged to many medical societies and continued to read medical journals in his specialty until his death.

He lived in Silver Spring for 34 years before moving to Leisure World in 1997.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Hilda M. Finck of Leisure World; three daughters, Leslie Ledsham and Joan Sawyer, both of Boston, and Wendy Friedlander of Arlington; and five grandchildren.

Diane Finlay McCain

Dental Hygienist

Diane Finlay McCain, 68, a retired dental hygienist and former president of the profession's national organization, died of cancer Aug. 24 at her home in Alexandria.

Mrs. McCain worked as a hygienist in her late husband's dental office. She was former president of the American Dental Hygienists' Association in the early 1970s.

She was born in Salem, Ore., and moved to the Washington area as a child. She graduated from Northwestern High School in Hyattsville and from Temple University in 1957. She was an administrative assistant and treasurer of the board of directors at St. Paul's Nursery and Day School for 24 years. She was also a member of the American Daffodil Society.

Her husband, William E. McCain Jr., died in 1990. A daughter, Carin McCain, died in 1987.

Survivors include a son, Andrew W. McCain of Jefferson, Ga.; and two sisters, Debbe Steele of Fort Payne, Ala., and Donna Cutter of Alexandria.

Frank Ali

Air Force Lieutenant Colonel

Frank Ali, 45, a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force, died of cancer Aug. 24 at his home in Burke.

Col. Ali, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., graduated from New York University, where he also received a master's degree in public administration in 1985. He joined the Air Force that year, and among his postings were stints in Florida, Turkey, England, Nevada and Mississippi, as well as in Washington.

Col. Ali worked on information technology contracts, most recently at Tricare Management Activity in Falls Church.

He was a member of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife of 16 years, Dr. Charleen Tinsley-Ali of Burke; two children, Christian and Maria Ali, both of Burke; his mother, Maria Ali of Massapequa Park, N.Y.; a sister; and a brother.

Jane Lesh Gould


Jane Lesh Gould, 81, a longtime volunteer at Sibley Memorial Hospital, died Aug. 4 at Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Gould was a fifth-generation Washingtonian and graduated from the Holton-Arms School. She attended Sweet Briar College in Virginia and received an associate's degree from George Washington University. She was a member of Pi Beta Phi fraternity for women at GWU.

Mrs. Gould was a volunteer at Sibley for 38 years, working primarily at the hospital's information desk. She was president of Sibley's corps of volunteers from 1985 to 1987.

She enjoyed playing bridge and golf and was a member of the women's golf association at Kenwood Golf and Country Club. She had lived in Bethesda for 55 years and was a member of Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda.

Her marriage to Frank A. Spurr Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 43 years, George M. Gould of Bethesda; two children from her first marriage, Steven R. Spurr of Manassas and Susan Spurr Chicca of Columbia; two stepdaughters, Gweneth Johanson of Annapolis and Deborah Murphy of Chester, Md.; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Janet L. Rickard

Association Executive

Janet L. "Jan" Rickard, 60, a director with the American Society of Association Executives, died Aug. 24 of cancer at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Springfield.

Ms. Rickard had worked with the society since 1986. From 1988 to 2001, she was director of membership for the organization. Since 2001, she had been director of ASAE Services Inc., responsible for developing marketing strategies.

She had previously been membership coordinator of the Formaldehyde Institute, a trade association managed by the Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association.

Ms. Rickard was born and raised in Pioneer, Ohio. She graduated from Bowling Green State University in Ohio and was a member of Delta Zeta sorority.

She worked as a social worker and a personnel administrator in Indianapolis, Atlanta and Columbus, Ohio, before moving to the Washington region in the mid-1970s.

Survivors include her husband of 22 years, Thomas E. Rea of Springfield; a son, Jonathan R. Rea of Springfield; and her parents, Leo E. Rickard and Bernice L. Rickard of Bryan, Ohio.

Sylvia F. Broida

Democratic Activist

Sylvia F. Broida, 86, a former government worker and Democratic activist, died of respiratory failure Aug. 14 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville, where she lived.

Mrs. Broida worked in the 1940s and 1950s as a statistician for the Department of Commerce. She resigned to become a homemaker, and volunteered with the Democratic Party for more than 20 years.

She was a volunteer in the Hollin Hills section of Fairfax County and also served as captain of the Kirkside Precinct. In 1966, she joined the Mount Vernon Democratic Committee, later serving as vice chairman for many years. She was well known by other party activists for her attention to detail, and some said she even knew what time residents in her precinct went to vote. In 1980, the Northern Virginia Democratic Club gave her a "grass-roots" award for her work in the 8th Congressional District. Two years later, the Democratic National Committee gave her a certificate of appreciation.

Mrs. Broida was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated from New York University in 1939. She moved to Washington in 1940, one of the thousands of "government girls" who arrived in that decade. She attended statistics courses at American University, married in 1948 and continued to work until 1953. Her job at Commerce was preparing analyses of the records of retail sales and consumer expenditures to appraise the economic situation. She also supervised the work of professional and clerical staff and carried out studies to determine the reliability of previously published series.

Mrs. Broida was committed to civil rights, among other causes. She joined Bethesda's Beth El congregation in the early 1960s, mainly to support a rabbi who promoted civil rights. She lived in Hollin Hills until five years ago.

Her husband of 43 years, Arthur L. Broida, died in 1991.

Survivors include a daughter, Janet Marian Broida of Decatur, Ga.

Elizabeth deVries Meenehan


Elizabeth deVries Meenehan, 85, a homemaker, church member and gardener, died of cancer Aug. 3 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Meenehan was born in Newport News, Va., and after her mother's death was raised by relatives in Silver Spring. She played basketball at Sherwood High School, from which she graduated, then attended Strayer Business College while working for a dentist.

She married John F. Meenehan during World War II, and some of the couple's most prized wedding gifts were gas ration tickets that they used to cruise the Potomac to Colonial Beach, Va., for their honeymoon. They lived on a boat docked at a yacht club adjacent to Fort McNair until her second pregnancy made it difficult to get on and off the boat at high tide.

Mrs. Meenehan raised her family in Washington and later Arlington, joining St. John's Catholic Church in McLean in 1954 and becoming a founding member of its original elementary school.

The Meenehan home was a neighborhood gathering place, partly because Mrs. Meenehan tolerated local rock-and-roll bands using the basement as a practice studio. She freely offered critiques of their work, her children said, and also attended the bands' engagements. Later in her life, the home remained a central meeting point for family and friends.

She joined the Rock Spring Garden Club in 1967 and described her spring-blooming front yard as her "own little fairyland." It was the scene of at least one family wedding and many ceremonial occasions.

After her children were grown, she worked in the office of Meenehan's Hardware Store, which her husband owned, until it closed in 1983. Mrs. Meenehan also was an ardent Washington Redskins fan.

Her husband died in 1995.

Survivors include five children, M. Patrick Meenehan of Manheim, Pa., Kathleen M. Meenehan of Arlington, John F. Meenehan III of Lovettsville, Theresa Meenehan Capitano of McLean and Janet Meenehan Point of Philadelphia; a sister, Margaret Wilson of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.