The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, for a week or on a regular basis.

Alice Ferguson Foundation needs sponsors, auction items and volunteers to help with gardening, farm maintenance and administration. Call Gretchen Heinze at 301-292-5665.

Forte International Exchange Association is looking for host families for the 2005-06 school year. Students speak English, have health insurance and their own spending money. 888-866-6869 or

St. Mary's County Meals on Wheels needs drivers and substitutes to deliver meals to homebound people once a week. Call Marilyn at 301-475-4200, Ext. 1060.

St. Mary's County Historical Society is looking for volunteers to help in the office, library, archives, book store, Old Jail Museum and gardens as well as with lectures, school programs and special events. No experience necessary. Call Susan Erichsen at 301-475-2467 or visit

Center for Children Inc., an outpatient mental health clinic for children and adults, needs mentors ages 21 and older for children ages 4 to 15 who have a parent in prison or on probation or parole. The program helps the children with emotional support, academics, life skills and character development. Call Chana Smikle or Allison Bough at 301-609-9887. The center is also seeking Charles County children of prisoners to become involved in the program. Call Ellen Sarrett at 301-753-4002. The center's Supervised Visitation Program needs volunteers to monitor court-ordered supervised visitations between noncustodial parents and their children. Background check and training provided. Call Chana Smikle at 301-609-9887, Ext. 129.

St. Mary's Animal Welfare League needs foster homes, board members and volunteers to help with socializing animals, publicity, fundraisers and adoption events. 301-373-5659, or

Birthright of Prince Frederick needs volunteers to work with pregnant women at its center on Armory Road. Call Patricia Kelly at 410-535-3593.

Charles County Children's Aid Society needs volunteers to help run yard sales and perform general office duties. Call Maria Bryan at 301-645-1561 or visit

Three Oaks Center, a shelter for homeless men, needs volunteer monitors from 8 a.m. to noon or from noon to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one shift a month. Training is provided. Call Ruben Berry at 301-863-9535.

Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue, a nonprofit rescue and adoption organization specializing in finding homes for retired racing greyhounds, needs people to work with or adopt dogs. Call 301-373-4820 in St. Mary's or 410-326-3555 in Calvert or visit

Calvert Memorial Hospital needs volunteers in many areas, including the patient information desk, gift shop, emergency department and patient shuttle. 410-535-8373 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8373.

Community Support Systems Inc., which serves low-income residents of northern Charles and southern Prince George's counties, needs volunteers to assist with food tables at its food pantry on Wednesday and Friday mornings. Help is also needed to set up displays, hand out brochures and answer questions about the agency's mission. Parent aides are needed weekly to help and provide emotional support for a mother with small children. 301-372-1491.

Trico Corp. needs volunteers in its Hollywood and Waldorf offices. Trico is an outpatient mental health and psychiatric rehabilitation clinic that provides care regardless of a client's ability to pay. Call Kim Clarke at 301-862-4961 or visit

American Red Cross, Southern Maryland chapter in La Plata, is seeking blood donors. Call 800-GIVE-LIFE and schedule an appointment to donate blood. The chapter holds a regular blood drive from 2 to 7:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at its office at 9255 W&W Industrial Rd. 301-934-2066 or

Civista Medical Center needs volunteers to help with the gift shop, information desk, coffee cart, pharmacy and reception. 301-609-4129.

American Cancer Society offers volunteer training in all three Southern Maryland counties. 301-261-6000 or 888-603-4304.

Calvert Healthcare Solutions needs help with fundraising activities and events. Call Raymon Noble at 410-414-5628 or e-mail

Alternatives for Youth and Families needs foster parents in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties. Call Sarah at 301-884-0312, Ext. 122.

Safe Harbor, a Calvert County organization that supports victims of domestic violence, needs volunteers to give time, goods and money. Training is provided, and hours are flexible. 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Calvert County Crisis Intervention Center needs volunteers to assist victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Training is provided, and hours are flexible. 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Calvert County Health Department needs volunteers to assist with health outreach and prevention activities. 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Rehabilitation Services Division, Maryland State Department of Education, which helps adults with disabilities find employment, needs volunteers to help with clerical and telephone duties in the Waldorf office one morning or afternoon each week. 301-645-8882.

March of Dimes needs volunteers for office support including data entry, mailings, typing, preparing materials for distribution and answering phones. Call Jennifer Abell at 301-934-2235 or e-mail

MetroPets Online needs volunteers to promote the adoption of homeless animals and the well-being of companion animals in the Washington area through the Internet. 301-873-0846 or

Greenwell Foundation needs volunteers for programs and special projects including gardening, office work, trail and park maintenance, summer camp, barn chores, mowing, special events and fundraising. Foundation programs take place at Greenwell State Park in Hollywood. 301-373-9775, or

Calvert Animal Welfare League needs volunteers to help homeless animals in Calvert County. 410-535-9300 or

Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland need volunteers to help youngsters with homework, recreational activities and skill development. A background check is required. The organization operates five programs in St. Mary's County and three in Calvert County. Specify the county in which you wish to volunteer. 410-326-2200.

Calvert County Office on Aging needs volunteer drivers to help deliver meals to the homebound. Call Harry or Carolyn at 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.

Project Echo Shelter, a shelter in Prince Frederick for homeless people, needs volunteers to staff a shift or help serve a meal. Volunteers must agree to commit four hours a month. Call Lori Hony at 410-257-0003 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or leave a message telling the best time to be contacted.

Center for Abused Persons needs on-call volunteers to assist and support victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Volunteers must be age 21 or older. Training is provided. Call Diane at 301-645-9387 or 301-645-8994.

Spring Dell Center Inc. needs volunteers to assist developmentally disabled people during the center's lunch period. Call Debbie at 301-870-3758 or 301-932-1601.

Charles County Cooperative Ministry on Aging needs volunteers to help with its Meals on Wheels and Telephone Reassurance programs. Volunteers are also needed to fill positions on the board. Call Olivia Baird at 301-392-6325.

Court-appointed special advocates are needed in Charles and St. Mary's counties to help provide a voice in juvenile court proceedings for abused and neglected children by advocating placements and services. CASA volunteers work about 10-15 hours a month and are screened and trained. In St. Mary's, call Rose Deckelman at 301-475-6667 or e-mail In Charles, call Stefanie Myers at 301-609-9887 or e-mail

Hospice of Charles County needs volunteers. Training is provided twice a year, in March and October. Call Susan Loomis at 301-934-1268.

Hospice of St. Mary's County is seeking volunteers. Assistance is needed with patient care, administrative work, bereavement counseling and fundraisers. Schedules can be flexible. Interviews are required before and after patient care training. Call Kim Knight at 301-475-6478.

Calvert Hospice needs volunteers. Call Ann Lavezzo at 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.

Historic St. Mary's City needs volunteers to help with the gardens, maintain and sail a tall ship, greet visitors and host special events. 240-895-4979 or

Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum needs volunteers for its Family Discovery Room, museum shop, education programs and the Louis L. Goldstein Gallery. Volunteers can also work with archaeologists and conservators at the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory. Call Terri Ihnacik at 410-586-8595

St. Clement's Island-Potomac River Museum at Coltons Point needs volunteers to assist with student and group tours, weekend visitors, special events and the museum store. 301-769-2222 or

Historic Sotterley Plantation needs volunteers to work in the gift shop, assist guests and share the history of Sotterley with the public. Call Carole Wible at 301-373-2280 or e-mail

The Re-Use Barn, a cooperative effort between the Southern Maryland chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America and the Charles County Board of Commissioners, helps keep usable items out of the county landfill. The Re-Use Barn, similar to a huge yard sale, needs volunteers from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays (weather permitting) for as many hours as possible at 3810 Renner Rd. in Waldorf. Proceeds are reinvested in the community. 301-645-5349 or 301-645-9451.

Summerseat Farm Sanctuary needs volunteers to conduct tours, work with the animals, help in the gardens and vineyard or help coordinate membership and volunteers from home. Call Jean at 240-298-6072 or

Mattawoman Creek Art Center is seeking volunteers. Visit the center at Smallwood State Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday or call 301-743-5159.

-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH

To Submit an Item


Mail: Volunteers, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646

Details: To change or update a listing, call Bonnie Smith at 301-392-5400 or e-mail