Jeannette Campbell Johnson


Jeannette Campbell Johnson, 86, a homemaker and member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Bethesda, died of pneumonia Aug. 3 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Johnson was born in Lonaconing, Md., and received a bachelor's degree in English from Hood College in 1940. She was a two-time singles tennis champion during her college years.

After her marriage in 1940, Mrs. Johnson and her husband lived in Oregon, Washington state, Idaho and parts of the Southeast before moving to La Vale, Md., in 1949. Active in community work, she helped establish the county library system and served as a trustee on the first library board. She also was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal Church, where she served as treasurer of the church guild.

She and her family moved to Bethesda in 1962. At St. Luke's, she was active in the church's women's club.

Her husband, Richard Mercer Johnson, died in 1994.

Survivors include three children, Kristen J. Ince of Virginia Beach, Richard C. Johnson of Philadelphia and Dana J. Lovett of Madison, N.J.; and eight grandchildren.

Gregory Clyde Cox

Chemical Engineer

Gregory Clyde Cox, 58, a retired chemical engineer at the Naval Surface Warfare Center, died Aug. 28 at his home in Burke. He had bowel cancer.

Mr. Cox spent his career at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Indian Head, where he worked with energetic chemicals developing rocket propellants. He retired in 2000 to become a computer network engineer, working from his home as an independent consultant.

The son of an airline sales manager, Mr. Cox was born in San Francisco and grew up throughout North America.

He was a 1964 graduate of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and a 1968 chemical engineering graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts. He served in the Army during the Vietnam War.

He was a member of Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church in Burke and did volunteer work for Senior Employment Resources in Annandale.

Friends called him "The Answer Man" because of his skill in math and sciences.

His first wife, Polly Carmean Cox, died in 1984.

Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Pam Butterbaugh Cox of Burke; two children from his first marriage, Thad Cox and Abigail Cox, both of Burke; two stepsons, Scott Wagner of Falls Church and Keith Wagner of Arlington; and three sisters.

Gladys Y. Stephens

Program Analyst

Gladys Y. Stephens, 82, a program analyst with the Department of Defense for 40 years, died Aug. 20 of a brain tumor at the home of her daughter in Midlothian, Va. She had lived in Fairfax City.

Mrs. Stephens was born in Carbondale, Pa., and moved to Washington in 1940 to work for the federal government and to attend Southeastern University.

After retirement, she became an avid bridge player and golfer. She was a member of Saint Leo's Catholic Church in Fairfax.

Her husband of 53 years, William E. "Bill" Stephens, died in 2000.

Survivors include two daughters, Linda King of Midlothian and Carol Anderson of Fredericksburg; a sister; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Ralph Burgess Lingeman

Retired VA Pathologist

Ralph Burgess Lingeman, 79, retired assistant chief of laboratory services at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington, died Aug. 19 of lymphoma at his home in Bethesda.

Dr. Lingeman was born in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and served in the Army from 1944 to 1946 in the European theater. He later attended Manchester College in Indiana and received his medical degree from Indiana University in 1953.

Dr. Lingeman served on the faculty of Indiana University School of Medicine, specializing in pathology, until 1966. He then joined the VA hospital and retired in 1990.

He was a founding member of the Marion County, Ind., Community Blood Bank and a member of the board of directors of the Metropolitan Washington Blood Bank in Bethesda.

From 1966 until he retired, he was a volunteer laboratory inspector for the American Association of Blood Banks and the College of American Pathologists. After retirement, he continued to volunteer with the Metropolitan Washington Blood Bank.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Carolyn Harvey Lingeman of Bethesda; a daughter, Donna J. Palmer of Portland, Ore.; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Yin-Hwa Ho


Yin-Hwa Ho, 90, a homemaker and hostess, died Aug. 25 at Washington Hospital Center of cardiac arrest after surgery. She was a District resident.

Mrs. Ho, who was born in the Hunan province of China, came to Washington in 1948 to join her husband, who was studying accounting when the Communist revolution in China made it impossible for him to return to his homeland.

She was a homemaker, frequent hostess and acclaimed cook of Chinese foods. She grew a vegetable called winter melon because she couldn't find it in markets. After taking sewing courses at Anna L. Burdick Vocational High School in Washington, she sewed her family's clothes.

Her husband of 62 years, Lien-Yu Ho, died in 1994.

A son, Henry Ho, died in 1987.

Survivors include three children, Stephen Ho of Silver Spring, Barbara Ho of Tucson and Margaret Liang Ho of Chicago; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Daniel James "Jim" Krafsig

Defense Department Employee

Jim Krafsig, 74, who worked in logistics for the Department of Defense from 1950 until retiring in 1993, died Aug. 14 of esophageal cancer at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax.

Mr. Krafsig was born in Harrisburg, Pa., and attended the Harrisburg campus of Penn State University. He served as an Army Reservist for several years after graduating high School.

In his Defense Department job, Mr. Krafsig was responsible for distributing fuel to jets for the Air Force. A job transfer took him to St. Louis in 1957, and a move in 1967 brought him to Fairfax County.

One of the longest residents of King Park West in Fairfax County, he was an original member of Lord Of Life Lutheran Church in Fairfax. Mr. Krafsig also helped start the area's first Boy Scout troop, Pack 1968, and was its first Scoutmaster.

He was a volunteer for Braddock Road Youth Club for many years and was a manager of the club's soccer team, the Cardinals.

He was an avid bass fisherman and enjoyed spending time at his beach home in Rehoboth Beach, Del.

He is preceded in death by his son Joel Magill Krafsig, who was struck by lightning in 1991.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Greta Jean Krafsig of Fairfax; six children, Steve Krafsig of Centreville, Cindy Bergeron of Springfield, Jill Krafsig of Bealeton, David Krafsig of Vancouver, Wash., Daniel Krafsig of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., and Richard Krafsig of Manassas; and 12 grandchildren.