Marilie W. Rockefeller

Newsletter Editor

Marilie W. "Mouse" Rockefeller, 76, former senior editor of an oil and gas industry newsletter and director of Foster Associates, died of pancreatic cancer Aug. 27 at the Washington Home. She had lived in the District for 50 years.

For 40 years, Mrs. Rockefeller was an editor of the Foster Natural Gas Report, a weekly publication covering federal regulation of the natural gas industry. She also contributed to reports pertaining to federal regulation of oil pipelines and other industry-specific topics. She retired in 2000.

She was born Marilie Gould Wallace in Wakefield, Mass. She graduated from Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania in 1951. She married a year later.

She was a director and benefactor of New England College in Henniker, N.H.

After retiring, she volunteered at Sibley Memorial Hospital and the Lantern Bookstore in Georgetown, the proceeds of which are donated to Bryn Mawr College.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, Edwin Rockefeller of Washington; two sons, Ted Rockefeller of Bethesda and Ben Rockefeller of Sydney; and two grandchildren.

Donald Olson Mathias

GSA Official

Donald Olson Mathias, 87, a retired General Services Administration official, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 16 at the Greenspring Village retirement community in Springfield. He lived in Petersburg, W.Va., and Springfield.

Mr. Mathias was born in Mount Rainier. He attended the University of Maryland and graduated from the old Benjamin Franklin University in Washington. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Panama Canal Zone and the Galapagos Islands.

Mr. Mathias worked for GSA for most of his career. From 1964 to 1971, he was executive director of the agency's Federal Supply Service. From 1971 until his 1974 retirement, he represented the Office of Minority Business Enterprise, now part of the Commerce Department, hosting seminars and news conferences in various cities on how to obtain government contracts. He received the GSA administrator's Exceptional Service Award in 1972.

Mr. Mathias played golf for more than 70 years and was a member of Springfield Golf and Country Club and of Petersburg's Valley View Golf Club. He was a member of St. John's United Methodist Church in Springfield and Main Street United Methodist Church in Petersburg.

His wife of 56 years, Nellie Pauline Hawse Mathias, died in 2003.

Survivors include a daughter, Kristi Ann Mathias of Los Angeles, and a brother, John Randolph Mathias of Falls Church.

Virginia St. Clair Miller

Homemaker, Volunteer

Virginia St. Clair Miller, 97, a longtime Washington area resident and a volunteer in various programs sponsored by Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, died of heart disease Aug. 2 at her home in Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Miller was born in Vinton, Iowa, where her father owned a farm. When she was 2, her family moved to Monmouth, Ill., so her older sisters could attend college. She also graduated from Monmouth College, in 1929, after studying French and piano. During the Depression, she received a master's degree in social work from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, where she subsequently worked as a Cuyahoga County social worker.

After her marriage in 1934, she moved to Chicago, where she was a homemaker. She moved to Washington in 1954 after her husband's death.

In addition to her volunteer activities at Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church in the District, she had a long association with Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and P.E.O., an organization that promotes educational opportunities for women.

Mrs. Miller enjoyed swimming, appreciated the visual arts and was an accomplished needleworker. She expressed her love of flowers through gardening and flower arranging, both lifelong hobbies.

Her first husband, Lawrence McVey, died in 1953. Her second husband, N. Barr Miller, died in 1997.

Survivors include two sons from her first marriage, Douglas Miller of Flushing, Mich., and David Miller of Chevy Chase; and four grandchildren.

Manila Jane Willhoite Potts


Manila Jane Willhoite Potts, 76, a native of Baltimore whose family moved to Washington during her early years, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 5 in Bradenton, Fla.

In Washington, she attended Blessed Sacrament Catholic School and graduated from Holy Cross Academy and Wilson Teachers College.

In the early 1950s, she married and moved with her husband, Charles Potts, who worked with the Central Intelligence Agency, to France, Greece, West Germany and Thailand.

The couple, formerly of Rockville, settled in Florida after her husband retired, and she taught history in Catholic schools in Miami and then Bradenton.

Her husband died in 1984.

Survivors include six children, Julie Chapman of Germantown, Katherine Potts and Richard Potts, both of Bradenton, Janet Shelby of Mooresville, Ind., William Potts of Bowie and Kenneth Potts of Homestead, Fla.; and seven grandchildren.

Kathryn Tobin Garrett

Telephone Operator

Kathryn Tobin Garrett, 92, a telephone operator at the old Glendale Hospital for nine years until 1975, died of respiratory failure Aug. 18 at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Mrs. Garrett also worked as switchboard operator and receptionist for WTTG-TV l from 1953 to 1962.

She was born in Clarendon and graduated from Woodburn Middle School in Annandale in 1927, the same year she won an oratorical contest.

Mrs. Garrett enjoyed sewing, painting and gardening. She also was interested in politics and mechanical engineering. "She liked to take things apart -- the iron and lamps," said her daughter, Michele L. Garrett of Grambrills, Md. "She had an engineer's kind of mind. She could take things apart and put them back together."

Her marriage to Ashton James Garrett ended in divorce.

Survivors include her daughter.

Samuel Levine


Samuel Levine, 80, an economist with the U.S. Agency for International Development, drowned Aug. 23 while snorkeling off the island of Bonaire in the Caribbean. He was a Bethesda resident.

Mr. Levine was born in Negaunee, Mich., and moved to Chicago at age 3. He served in the Army in World War II and received a Purple Heart. He was a graduate of the University of Chicago, where he also received a master's degree in economics in the late 1940s.

He came to the Washington area in 1950, working for two years in the Army's old Office of Industrial Readiness. He then joined the State Department and was among the first members of the USAID staff, serving in the Near East and South Asia division. He retired in 1980.

Mr. Levine enjoyed gardening and travel and had trekked in the Himalayas. For many years, he took part in theatrical performances put on by the Bannockburn Community Club in Bethesda. He was also proud of having participated in a demonstration in downtown Washington protesting the war in Iraq in 2003.

His wife of 38 years, Helen Brown Levine, died in 1991.

Survivors include his companion of nine years, Estelle James, of Washington; three children, Hannah Levine of Los Angeles, John Levine of Worcester, Mass., and Henry Levine of Albany, Ohio; a brother; and seven grandchildren.