John Bernard Holden

USDA Graduate School Head

John Bernard Holden, 94, a retired director of the U.S. Agriculture Department's Graduate School and a lifelong advocate for adult education, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 28 at his home in Washington.

Dr. Holden was born in DeCliff, Ohio, and received a bachelor's degree from Ohio University in 1932. He received a master's degree in 1936 and a doctorate in 1955, both from Ohio State University.

He was a teacher in Hamilton, Ohio, public schools from 1932 to 1937 and head of the History and Speech Department for Wyoming, Ohio, public schools from 1937 to 1941.

After serving in the Army Signal Corps during World War II, he returned to Hamilton and directed the school district's adult education program until 1950. He taught in the Continuing Education Department at Michigan State University from 1950 to 1956.

In 1956, he joined the U.S. Office of Education, where he worked as a specialist in general adult education. He became director of Graduate School, USDA in 1958 and served in that position until 1981. The school provides continuing education to professionals and to federal, state and local employees throughout the nation.

He retired in 1981 and served as president of Beacon College, a school that offered courses by correspondence, from 1982 to '83.

An avid tennis player, he was a member of the Edgemoor Club and the Cosmos Club. He also was a member of the Washington chapter of the World Federalist Society -- now Citizens for Global Solutions -- and served as president from 1958 to 1960.

His first wife, Alberta Stegemiller Holden, died in 1985.

Survivors include his wife of 14 years, Mary Catherine Jennings of Washington; three children from his first marriage, John Bernard Holden Jr. of Dallas, Peggy Thuotte of Port Ludlow, Wash., and Charles Holden of Fairfax; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Peter D. Dyke

CIA Official

Peter D. Dyke, 78, a 25-year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency, died of lung cancer Aug. 30 at his home in Santa Fe, N.M.

Mr. Dyke served in various capacities with the CIA from 1951 until his retirement in 1976. He was based in Austria and Germany from 1955 to 1959 and in Laos from 1969 to 1971.

He was born in Syracuse, N.Y., and served in the Navy during and after World War II. He graduated from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn., in 1950 and did graduate work in public administration at Syracuse University before joining the CIA.

He lived in Vienna before moving to Santa Fe in 1976.

In 1984 and 1985, Mr. Dyke was publisher and editor of "The Front Line," a public policy journal that took a position opposing the Reagan administration's plans for protecting against nuclear attack.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Helene Dyke of Santa Fe; two children, Steven Dyke of Jackson, Wyo., and Claudia Kean of Lyons, Colo.; a brother; and two grandsons.