The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, a week or on a regular basis.
Loudoun Department of Social Services: Teach English to Hispanic women in Sugarland Run one or two days a week. 703-737-8424.
Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Loudoun Chapter: Assemble MADD ribbons to be distributed at local businesses and schools. 703-771-8127 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Training Program: Assist people in nursing homes and adult-care residences and make sure their rights are respected. Volunteers must commit to visiting residents four hours a week. Training is from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 12, 13 and 23. 703-324-5435.
Loudoun Volunteer Services: Donate or help collect household items for baskets to be distributed during Make a Difference Day on Oct. 22. 703-777-0113.
American Red Cross: Greet blood donors, provide reading material, serve refreshments and observe donors for reactions after they give blood. Training is provided in Leesburg. A commitment of two or more blood drives each month is requested. Blood drives last 41/2 to six hours and are held daily. 800-272-0094, Ext 1, or email@example.com.
Loudoun Museum: Lead visitors through historic Leesburg for annual "Hauntings" event, help with ticket sales, concessions and gift shop, or be an interpreter-storyteller. Walking tours will be Oct. 28 and 29 from 6 to 10 p.m. 703-777-7427 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loudoun Symphony Orchestra: Assist with stage and lobby activities, advertising and fundraising, or office duties. 703-771-8287 or email@example.com.
National Air and Space Museum: Give tours of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy center. Docents must make a two-year commitment and complete 11 weeks of training. Training will be on Saturdays, beginning Sept. 10. 703-572-4070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loudoun County: Serve on the following county advisory boards, commissions and committees (703-771-5034):
* Advisory Commission on Youth: Sterling District.
* Affordable Dwelling Unit Advisory Board: one lending institution representative and one nonprofit representative.
* Bull Run Alcohol Safety Action Program: one at-large representative.
* Cable TV Advisory Committee: Broad Run District.
* Commission on Aging: Sterling District.
* Commission on Women: Sterling District.
* Commuter Bus Advisory Board: Potomac, Sterling and Sugarland Run districts.
* Disability Services Board: at-large business representatives or representatives who have disabilities or who have family members with disabilities.
* Economic Development Commission: representatives from local businesses.
* Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee: at-large representatives.
* Fire and Rescue Commission: three at-large representatives who are fire and rescue volunteers.
* Housing Advisory Committee: one at-large representative.
* Library Board of Trustees: Broad Run and Sugarland Run districts.
* Open Space Advisory Committee: Sterling and Sugarland Run districts.
* Road Viewers Board: at-large representatives.
* Woods Road Special Exception Oversight Committee: at-large representatives.
-- Compiled by ARIANNE ARYANPUR
To Submit an Item
Mail: Nonprofit groups that need volunteers should send notices to Volunteers, The Washington Post, Suite 100-A, 305 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg, Va. 20175.
Details: The list is published on a space-available basis on the first Sunday of each month.