A Short Stack of Plays
Accokeek Creek Theatre Company and Black Box Theatre are hosting "Short Stack: An Evening of New Plays," a festival featuring Maryland and mid-Atlantic playwrights. Original plays will be presented at 8 p.m. tomorrow, Saturday, and Sept. 16 and 17 at the Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Tickets are $15 general admission, $10 for seniors and students, and available at the door only.
The program includes "Fin & Euba" by Audrey Cefaly of Bowie, "Loader #26" by Roberto Marinas of New York City and "Shoulder" by Bob Bartlett of Accokeek.
Bartlett will also direct. The cast is made up of actors from the Washington area, including Kelly Armstrong of Ellicott City, Andrew Brownstein and Tina Renay Fulp of the District, Robert Heinly of Alexandria, Christopher Holbert of Reston, Jared Shamberger of Waldorf, David Thomas of Golden Beach and Randy Tusing of La Plata. For more information, visit www.accokeekcreek.com.
Artsfest in Solomons
Artsfest '05 unites artists for a weekend of art, music, food, wine and fine brews from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 17 and 18 at Annemarie Garden in Solomons. Works by more than 100 artists and artisans from across the country will be displayed. Artsfest also offers hands-on art activities for all ages. These free activities include jewelry-making, watercolor painting, and making assemblage sculptures and clay tiles.
Artsfest will feature a performance by COSMIC, the Chamber Orchestra of Southern Maryland, from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday. The Light Opera Company of Southern Maryland will perform Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance" from 4 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Parking is free in the field adjacent to Annmarie Garden off Dowell Road. There is a new handicap pickup and drop-off area at the front gates. Admission is $5 per person. Free for children 12 and younger. Visit www.annmariegarden.org for a complete list of Artsfest '05 artists.
St. Mary's Public Forum
The St. Mary's County commissioners' next monthly public forum is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Hollywood Recreation Center, 24400 Mervell Dean Rd., Hollywood.
The forums are intended to give residents an opportunity to comment on issues before the commissioners or to speak about other public concerns.
The forum will be taped and broadcast on Channel 12. To get schedules for the local government channel, visit www.co.saint-marys.md.us/docs/ch12/ or call 301-475-4200, Ext. 1340.
Fees for School Facilities
The Charles County Board of Education recently revised the fees for use of school buildings and grounds by the community for educational, recreational, civic and cultural activities.
School facilities may be used at times that do not interfere with student instruction and activities or programs operated by the Department of Community Services. There is a minimum six-hour fee and an hourly rate for every hour beyond that minimum.
The following fees apply to all public school facilities, except North Point High School, which has its own fee schedule:
* Auditorium: $305 for six hours; $45 each additional hour.
* Auxiliary gym: $210 for six hours; $30 each additional hour.
* Cafeteria: $305 for six hours; $45 each additional hour.
* Classroom: $100 for six hours; $15 each additional hour.
* Gymnasium: $305 for six hours; $45 each additional hour.
* Kitchen: $150 for six hours; $20 each additional hour.
* Learning hall: $150 for six hours; $20 each additional hour.
* Lobby: $100; $15 each additional hour.
* Media center: $150; $20 each additional hour.
* Multipurpose room: $210; $30 each additional hour.
* Office: $100; $15 each additional hour.
* Building Service and Cafeteria Service staff members: $38 per hour for weekdays and Saturdays; $43 per hour Sundays and holidays.
The following fees are exclusively for North Point High School:
* Convocation center/gymnasium: $1,000 for six hours; $150 each additional hour.
* Staff development room: $260 for six hours; $40 each additional hour.
* Auditorium: $395 for six hours; $55 each additional hour.
* Cafeteria: $395 for six hours; $55 each additional hour.
* Rates for rooms not listed above are the same as for other school buildings.
Scheduling is done on a priority basis and is limited to nonprofit groups with insurance. To apply, contact the principal of the school to be used at least four weeks in advance. For more information, call 301-934-7270 or visit www.ccboe.com.