* Widow/widowers bereavement support, 2-3:30 p.m. today or 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. Contact 703-941-7000 or www.havenofnova.org.
* Nondenominational grief recovery support group includes a Bible-based video series followed by support group discussion, 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays, Monday-Dec. 5, Trinity United Methodist Church, 1205 Dolley Madison Blvd., McLean. $12 fee includes workbook. 703-356-3312.
* Good Grief bereavement group, an eight-week seminar for anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one from cancer within the last two years, 7:15-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Tuesday-Nov. 1, Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. 703-776-2841.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly, a weight-loss support group with weekly weigh-ins and educational programs, 6:45 p.m. Thursdays, Bruen Chapel United Methodist Church, 3035 Cedar Lane, Fairfax. $20 a year, plus $5 a month; first meeting is free. Contact 703-205-9041 or www.tops.org.
"Save-a-Life Saturday" seminar teaches skills for preventing, preparing for and responding to disasters and emergencies, including adult CPR, babysitter training, first aid for cats and dogs, disaster preparedness, water/pool safety and basic hygiene skills, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, George C. Marshall High School, 7731 Leesburg Pike (Route 7), Falls Church. Sponsored by the American Red Cross in conjunction with the Fairfax County school system's office of adult and community education. $10. Contact 703-584-8459 or www.redcrossnca.org.
La Leche League of Fairfax City discusses the advantages of breast-feeding at the next meeting, 10 a.m. Wednesday, Fairfax Christian Church, 10185 Main St., Fairfax. Pregnant and nursing women as well as their children are welcome. 703-323-6683.
Breast-feeding discussion group, led by an experienced maternal-infant nurse/lactation consultant, with weekly prize drawing, complimentary parking, baby weight check, refreshments and resource information, 10:30 a.m.-noon Thursdays, Inova Fairfax Hospital Women's Center, 7 South Dayroom, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. $5. 703-776-6455.
A support group for gay people, families and friends to discuss coming out, 8 p.m. Tuesday, Beverly Hills Community United Methodist Church, 3512 Old Dominion Blvd., Alexandria. 301-439-3524.
Obsessive compulsive disorder support group, for diagnosed individuals, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Mondays, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 4000 Lorcom Lane, Arlington. 703-535-6575.
Cancer caregivers meeting, for family members to discuss coping strategies, support and treatment, 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children, Radiation Oncology Conference Room, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Use blue parking garage. Registration required. 703-776-2841.
Caregivers of elderly or disabled adults support group, 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sept. 24, Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church, 10125 Lakehaven Ct., Burke. 703-451-8631.
Multiple sclerosis group, sponsored by the National Capital Chapter of the MS Society, for anyone with MS and friends and family of people with MS, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Vienna Presbyterian Church Annex, 150 Maple Ave. East. 703-768-4841.
At United Ostomy Association support group meeting, consulting pharmacist Dan Albrant will discuss dietary supplements, including herbs and teas, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Sunday, Physician's Conference Center Auditorium, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Use blue parking garage. 703-802-3457.
The following groups are held at Life with Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration is required. 703-776-2841.
* CanSurvive, a patient-led general cancer support group, noon-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
* On My Own, for singles in their 40s and older to discuss the challenges and coping strategies of having cancer and living alone, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Monday.
* Gynecological cancer group, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday.
A group for young premenopausal women with breast cancer to share concerns and solutions, 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Inova Alexandria Hospital, Cancer Center Waiting Room, 4320 Seminary Rd., Alexandria. Registration required. 703-776-2841.
Head and neck cancer educational support group, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday, Inova Fairfax Hospital for Children, Radiation Oncology Conference Room, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Use blue parking garage. Registration required. 703-776-2841.
Prostate cancer group, physician Nancy Dawson will discuss therapeutic options, 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, Physician's Conference Center Auditorium, Inova Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Use blue parking garage. 703-776-2841.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030.
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.