SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Resumption of regular club dances, presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
AQUA SQUARES OPEN HOUSE -- 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Sept. 16. Demonstrations, beginner dance instructions and refreshments at open houses held by the Aqua Squares Dance Club before classes begin Sept. 20. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-3587, 410-394-1647 or 301-863-0064.
ROCKFISH -- 7:30 p.m. today. The group performs in the final show of the Bay Breeze Summer Concerts series. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892 or www.cbrm.org.
"MOUNTAINS TO SAND" -- 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday. Ages 6 to 9 stroll the shoreline to discuss erosion and consider the origin of the beach as they examine objects that may have once been part of large rock formations. Flag Ponds Nature Park, Route 4, Lusby. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
FROGS AND FRIENDS -- 10-10:30 a.m. today. Ages 2 and 3 explore the life of the frog. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
TEDDY BEAR PICNIC -- 10:30-11:30 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 2 to 5 should bring along a bear buddy, a blanket and a lunch for a picnic, story time, games and a coloring contest. $5. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-1101.
WIFFLE BALL HOME RUN DERBY -- Ages 8 to 16 take shots at knocking the Wiffle Ball out of the park. Prizes awarded to the winners. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Free program at Charles County Public Libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program for ages 2-12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For children up to age 2 to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach, 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME PROGRAM -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday and 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME PROGRAM -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to prepare to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert Library to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson's drawings and other works and Colleen Sabo's watercolors. Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Sept. 25. Works by artist Joseph Holston. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, Fine Arts Center, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7828.
ALAN PAGANHARDT -- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday, begins Monday through mid-October. The Drayden artist displays his acrylics in the art gallery space of the Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-863-6693.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday through Sunday, through Oct. 9. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
POETRY SOCIETY -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. An open-mic night for poets and poetry enthusiasts of all ages. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8421.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7 p.m. next Thursday. Robert Bates, English professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland, discusses Flannery O'Connor's novel "Wise Blood." Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturdays and Sundays, through Nov. 30. A corn maze hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children under 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
DOLL SHOW AND SALE -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. An annual doll show and sale presented by the Southern Maryland Doll Club. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. $4; with this posting, $3.50; children younger than 12 , $1. 301-868-6410.
CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS -- 6-8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Open tryouts for the St. Mary's Starz Competitive Cheerleading Squad. For ages 5 to 18. Leonardtown Middle School, 24015 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. 240-538-5748 or eteamz.active.com/stmarysstarz.
GOLF TOURNAMENT AND AUCTION -- Tomorrow. The F. George Heinze III Golf Classic, Dinner and auction will benefit the Southern Maryland Chapter of the American Red Cross. Swan Point Yacht and Country Club, 11550 Swan Point Blvd., Swan Point. $135 per golfer, includes lunch and dinner; $35 for dinner for non-golfers. 301-934-2066 or 888-276-2767.
ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT BREAKFAST -- 8-11 a.m. Sunday. Scrambled eggs, home fries, pancakes, French toast, sausage links, ham, biscuits, creamed chipped beef, spiced applesauce, milk, juices and coffee. Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Auxiliary, 45245 Drayden Rd., Valley Lee. $6; ages 5-12, $3; ages 4 and younger, Free. 301-994-1960.
HOSPITAL GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 8 a.m. Tuesday, sign-up; 9:30 a.m., shotgun start. Rain date is Sept. 20. Organized by St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary to raise money for new equipment for the hospital's Emergency Care Center. Continental breakfast offered before tee time with a barbecue lunch later in the day donated by Bear Creek Open-Pit BBQ. Prizes will be awarded for top finishers and single shot achievements. Breton Bay Golf and Country Club, Leonardtown. $75; team of four, $300. To register, contact 240-298-8865 or www.smhwecare.com.
SENIOR CITIZENS' DAY -- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. next Thursday. Outdoor event with morning refreshments, museum tours, bingo games and door prizes. St. Clement's Island Potomac River Museum, 38370 Point Breeze Rd., Coltons Point. Free. 301-769-2222.
FALL FOLLIES CRAFTS FESTIVAL -- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Homemade crafts, paintings, stained glass, wood carving, quilts and jewelry. Washington Street, Leonardtown. Free. 301-977-1644.
CSM THEATRE COMPANY AUDITIONS -- 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday. The College of Southern Maryland Theatre Company is holding auditions for actors, singers and dancers for its upcoming productions of "Man of La Mancha," to be staged Nov. 11-13 and Nov. 18-20, and "Amahl and the Night Visitors," to be staged Dec. 2-4. Performers should bring a prepared song with sheet music and a monologue. La Plata campus, Fine Arts Center Theatre, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Auditions held in private and by appointment. 301-870-3008, 301-884-8131, Ext. 7828 or www.csmd.edu/FineArts.
CALVERT ARTISTS SHOWCASE AUDITIONS -- tomorrow and Saturday. Auditions for the 2006 Calvert Artists Showcase, scheduled March 6 to benefit nonprofit organizations serving Calvert County. The showcase promotes performance arts from a variety of disciplines. Mary D. Harrison Cultural Center, Owings. For an application and to schedule an audition, call 410-535-2403.
PATUXENT INVITATIONAL MARCHING BAND COMPETITION -- 6 p.m. Sept. 17. Rain date is 4:30 p.m. Sept. 20. The eighth annual competition features high school marching bands from across the state. Panther Field, Patuxent High School, 12485 Rousby Hall Rd., Lusby. $5; students, $3. 410-535-7806 or www.patuxentband.org.
NIGHT GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 6:30 p.m. Sept. 16, check-in; 7:30 p.m., tee time. Nine-hole course event sponsored by the Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse Inc. and the Calvert County Division of Parks and Recreation. Mellomar Golf Course, 6215 Scaggs Rd., Owings. $35, includes greens fees, snacks and beverages. Registration deadline is Monday. To register, call 410-535-1600, Ext. 2227 or 2229.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Theater, shopping trips and cruises. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Sunday. A trip to the annual Polish American Festival at Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown, Pa. Includes transportation, festival admission and driver gratuity. $50.
* Sept. 24. A trip to Frederick and Emmitsburg for the Saints and Sinners Tour. Includes transportation, dinner, show and driver gratuity. $90.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip for the Patti Page Christmas Show at the Palace Theatre in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED FOR CRAFT SHOWS AND FLEA MARKETS -- Groups and auxiliaries seeking crafts and vendors for spring fairs, flea markets and similar events:
* Nanjemoy Heritage Day, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.