The Sept. 11 obituary for Robert C. Sebilian misspelled his last name. (Published 10/5/2005)

Ella Poole Thatcher

Clinton Homemaker

Ella Poole Thatcher, 75, a homemaker who in recent years attended Melwood Church of the Nazarene in Prince George's County, died Sept. 1 at her home in Clinton. She had Parkinson's disease and a heart ailment.

Mrs. Thatcher was born in Tuscaloosa, Ala. She settled in the Washington area in 1951 and spent a year doing clerical work at the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Survivors include her husband, Joseph B. Thatcher of Clinton, whom she married in 1952; two children, Kenneth G. Thatcher of Hyattsville and Karen T. Voigt of Stevensville, Md.; a brother; a sister; and four granddaughters.

Myra F. Rand

Red Cross Volunteer

Myra F. Rand, 90, who for nearly 30 years worked mainly with military families as a Red Cross volunteer in Washington and Arlington, died Sept. 7 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington after a stroke.

Mrs. Rand, an Arlington resident, was born in Pomeroy, Wash., where she grew up on a wheat and cattle ranch.

She graduated from Washington State University in 1937 and began working as a civilian clerk for the military. One of her assignments took her to Hawaii, where from a hilltop she witnessed the devastation of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.

After working the next three years as chief clerk of the Navy submarine base on Kodiak Island, Alaska, she married and settled in the Washington area.

Over the years, Mrs. Rand enjoyed adventurous excursions to Nepal, Mozambique, Afghanistan and Pitcairn Island.

Survivors include her husband of 60 years, Bert B. Rand of Arlington; three children, James M. Rand of Fairfax, Victoria F. Mann of Delaplane and John C. Rand of Vienna; two sisters; and seven grandchildren.

Harold Leslie Cramer

Educational Researcher

Harold Leslie "Les" Cramer, 78, a retired educational researcher, died of cancer Aug. 13 at his home in Fairfax.

Mr. Cramer, a Boston native, received a bachelor's degree in education from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1952, a master's in education in 1961 and a doctorate in education in 1968, both from Harvard University.

After service in the Navy at the end of World War II, Dr. Cramer taught elementary school briefly in Needham, Mass. In 1953, he founded Cramer Oil Inc. in Needham and developed it into a successful heating efficiency business. He sold the business and began studies at Harvard.

During his studies, he served as a research assistant working with the Peace Corps and a Harvard social studies project, and as an audiovisual instructor. He also was an IBM fellow at the Harvard Computing Center. His dissertation was titled "The Intelligibility of Time-Compressed Speech," and it sought to find ways to help people who are blind by examining how fast people could listen.

In 1967, Dr. Cramer was appointed assistant professor of educational psychology at the Graduate School of Education of Northeastern University in Boston.

Dr. Cramer came to Washington in 1969 as research director for the Peace Corps. From 1972 to 1982, he served as project director, consultant and evaluator on a number of government and private research projects. He started Cramer Associates, consultants on speech enhancement of audio tapes. His clients included the House Judiciary Committee, Cable News Network and Montgomery County.

His marriage to Marion S. Cramer ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Roxanne Herrick Cramer of Fairfax; four daughters from the first marriage, Cynthia Cramer, Martha Cramer and Joan Pahud, all of Quincy, Mass., and Kathryn Canney of Jamaica Plain, Mass.; three stepsons, William Hofford of Portland, Ore., Dana Hofford of Delsbo, Sweden, and Paul Hofford of Sandy Spring; five grandchildren; and three step-grandchildren.

Sheila Fitzpatrick Randall

Homemaker, Volunteer

Sheila Fitzpatrick Randall, 88, a homemaker and volunteer, died of cancer Aug. 30 at Casey House in Rockville. She was a longtime Silver Spring resident.

Mrs. Randall was born in Boston and received a master's degree from Boston Teachers College (now part of the University of Massachusetts) in 1939.

She moved to the Washington area in 1939 and worked for about four years at the National Archives. After her marriage, she was a homemaker for many years and then worked as a teacher's aide at Northwood High School in Wheaton in the early 1970s. She also taught business classes at Montgomery College in the 1970s.

Active in church and community volunteer work, she was a member of the Sodality of St. Camillus Church in Silver Spring and a Eucharistic minister at St. Camillus Church and later at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Silver Spring. She was active in an arts-and-crafts group at St. Camillus that made and sold items for charity and was an instructor for those wishing to learn more about Catholicism. For more than 20 years, she delivered hot meals to the sick and elderly in the Hillandale community through Meals on Wheels.

Mrs. Randall enjoyed travel, especially to Ireland, her parents' birthplace. She also loved music, sewing, reading and Bible study.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Herbert H. Randall of Silver Spring; six children, David Randall of Louisville, William Randall of San Diego, Peggy Randall of Damascus, Paul Randall of Norristown, Pa., Sheila Randall of Damascus and Michael Randall of New York; a sister; seven grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Marjorie Walsh Daspit

Parish Secretary, Volunteer

Marjorie Walsh Daspit, 85, a former parish secretary at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Arlington and longtime active member of Arlington County's programs for seniors, died of lung cancer Sept. 3 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Daspit, who had lived in Arlington since 1968, worked at St. Peter's in the 1970s and participated in seniors programs in the county for the past 30 years. She helped organize some of the health and social activities as a volunteer and served on a citizens advisory group.

Before settling in Arlington, she accompanied her husband, Lawrence Randall "Dan" Daspit, a Navy officer who retired as a rear admiral, to Japan and various cities in the United States. During that time, she volunteered with the American Red Cross and the Navy Relief Society.

She maintained an interest in traveling in later years by taking trips to exotic locations. She went to Antarctica, Fiji, Vietnam, Machu Picchu in Peru and the Galapagos Islands. In the early 1980s, she and her sister Barbara Walsh were part of a group that traveled mostly by train along the Silk Road from London to Beijing. The expedition was filmed for a BBC special.

Mrs. Daspit was born in Cambridge, Mass. She received a teaching certificate from Wheelock College in 1940 and a bachelor's degree in education from Boston University in 1941. In Boston, she taught at a primary school for a year, then worked as a project manager, first at the Polaroid Corp. and later the Harvard University Underwater Sound Laboratory.

After World War II, she moved to New York, where she worked in submarine research at the National Defense Research Council. As a prank, she and her friends placed a personal ad in a newspaper that read, "Fat, coarse, jolly woman seeks kind gentleman for companionship."

"She was surprised when dozens of responses overflowed her post office box," said her daughter Caroline D. Klam.

Mrs. Daspit's husband, whom she met while working at the National Defense Research Council, died in 1979.

Survivors include four children, Frank Daspit of Washington, Caroline D. Klam of Arlington, Dana Daspit of Alexandria and Peter R. Daspit of Kailua, Hawaii; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Robert C. Sebillan

Marine Major

Robert C. Sebillan, 82, a retired Marine major, died of heart disease Aug. 17 at his home in Falls Church.

Maj. Sebillan was born in Brockton, Mass., and entered the Marines after high school. He served in World War II in the Pacific theater, winning a Silver Star for leading a squad combat patrol against a heavily defended Japanese position during the Bouganville campaign.

After World War II, he graduated from Dartmouth College, then returned to active duty in the Marines. He was sent to Korea, where he was awarded a Purple Heart for injuries suffered while leading a counterattack against hostile forces. He volunteered to witness, from 2,000 yards away in a six-foot trench, a thermonuclear explosion in 1953 at Yucca Flat, Nev. Maj. Sebillan retired from the military in 1964.

He became a real estate agent and investment counselor in California until 1986, when he moved to Falls Church.

His wife, Patricia Sebillan, died in 1984.

Survivors include his companion, Mary K. Malamphy of Falls Church; a sister; and two brothers.

Wilbur W. 'Rip' Warlick

Naval Aviator, Stockbroker

Wilbur W. "Rip" Warlick, 83, a retired naval aviator who became a Bethesda stockbroker, died of complications after a heart attack Sept. 7 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Cmdr. Warlick, after 27 years in the military, worked for 35 years as an investment adviser with the firm that became Wachovia Securities in Bethesda. He was a senior vice president upon his 2001 retirement.

He lived in Kensington, Bethesda, Silver Spring and most recently at Sunrise Senior Living in Oakton.

Born in Lincolnton, N.C., he was the teenage county champion in billiards and played demonstrations with the touring women's international champion, who he acknowledged routinely won their matches. He earned a private pilot's license as a teenager. After high school graduation, he enlisted in the Navy.

First assigned to a destroyer in the Atlantic, Cmdr. Warlick was reassigned to radio duty aboard a PBY Catalina seaplane in the Pacific. While on patrol on the last day of 1941, his crew spotted a lost B-17 bomber crew of nine drifting in two rafts toward enemy sea lanes, 500 miles from Pearl Harbor. The amphibious PBY made a daring open-sea landing in rough water, hauled in the fliers and returned at night to the blacked-out Pearl Harbor. Cmdr. Warlick received the Meritorious Service Award for his part in the rescue.

He graduated from flight training in 1943 and became a flight instructor. After the war ended, he flew transport planes across the Pacific and, in 1948, flew 135 missions for the Berlin Airlift. In the 1950s and 1960s, he flew P2V Neptune antisubmarine planes, flying to Cuba during the Bay of Pigs attempted invasion and to Iceland, Germany, Malta and South America. He earned two Air Medals and flew more than 8,000 hours, retiring from the Bureau of Naval Weapons in Washington in 1965.

Just before his military retirement, Cmdr. Warlick graduated from George Washington University. He previously attended Tulane University.

He was a member of the American Legion and was twice president of its Post 105 in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Betty Sinnock Warlick of Oakton; two children, Barbara Warlick Bruce and David Warlick, both of Oakton; a sister; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

John R. Myszka

White House Worker

John R. Myszka, 87, who was in charge of the mechanical systems at the White House, died Sept. 8 of a heart attack at Howard County General Hospital. He lived in Laurel.

After working at the Bureau of Engraving for five years, Mr. Myszka joined the staff of the White House in 1952, after the election of President Dwight D. Eisenhower. As chief operating engineer, Mr. Myszka was responsible for maintaining the White House facilities, including the heating and air conditioning systems. He served under six presidents, from Eisenhower to Jimmy Carter, and retired in 1980.

Mr. Myszka was born and raised in Buffalo. After serving two years in the Army, he joined the Navy at the outbreak of World War II and served until 1948.

He was a member of Resurrection of Our Lord Catholic Church in Laurel. He enjoyed making kielbasa sausage.

His wife of 34 years, Gertrude Marie Myszka, died in 1982.

Survivors include three children, Peggy Reitzel of Laurel, Kathryn Abbate of Fulton and John Myszka of Snow Hill, Md.; three brothers; two sisters; six grandsons; and two great-grandchildren.