Doris Elizabeth Harper Scott

Quilter, Activist

Doris Elizabeth Harper Scott, 78, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 8 at Howard University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

She was born in Leonardtown, Md., moved to Washington as a child, graduated from Cardozo Senior High School in 1945 and attended Miners Teacher College in the District for two years.

She married and moved to Missouri but returned to the District when the marriage ended. She then spent several years working at the Library of Congress.

She married again in 1954 and lived in Michigan for several years before returning to Washington. She and her husband lived in Tuskegee, Ala., and Laurelton, Pa., between their Washington years.

Mrs. Scott and her family were active in the community and in the civil rights movement and lent their car to the Montgomery bus boycott effort in the 1950s. They were among the 250,000 who attended the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Always outspoken, she drank from a whites-only water fountain during the time she lived in Tuskegee. She was pregnant at the time and so was not penalized.

In the early 1960s, the family moved to Pennsylvania, where she worked as a medical secretary at the Laurelton State School and Hospital for the Mentally Retarded. She returned to Washington in 1988.

Mrs. Scott sewed clothes for her children and learned upholstery and weaving. She was an excellent cook and an avid reader, and her favorite activity was quilting. She was a member of the Young at Heart's Club and the Daughters of Dorcas quilting group, and regularly attended St. Monica's Episcopal Church.

Her first marriage, to Steve Johnson, ended in divorce. Their child, Kevin Johnson, died in 1947.

Her second husband, Richard Scott, died in 1991. Their son Dorich Garfield Scott died in 2004, and son Dennis Mark Scott died in 1993.

Survivors include four daughters from her second marriage, Glova Elizabeth Scott, Robin Lela Scott-Washington, Lisa Ruth Scott and Liane Kay Scott, all of Washington; and a granddaughter.

Ronald McLean Bolton


Ronald McLean Bolton, 72, a retired cartographer who worked for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for 20 years, died after he drowned in the Potomac River Sept. 3. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Bolton was working on his sailboat, anchored 100 yards from shore near the Mount Vernon area, when he fell into the river. A friend jumped in after him but could not rescue him.

A Washington native, Mr. Bolton attended Mount Vernon and George Washington high schools in Alexandria, where he played football and rowed on the earliest Northern Virginia crew teams.

He served in the Army from 1955 to 1956 and graduated from the University of the District of Columbia.

He worked for the Defense Mapping Agency and the Naval Oceanographic Office before joining the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, where he was director of aeronautical charts when he retired about 1999.

He received the Department of Commerce's silver medal in 1982.

Mr. Bolton was a member and past president of the North American Cartographic Information Society. He also was a longtime member of the Old Dominion Boat Club and the Potomac Boat Club and accumulated many rowing trophies.

His marriage to Gail Weatherhead Bolton ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Linda Bolton of Colonial Beach; three children from his first marriage, Martha Bolton and Ronald Bolton, both of Chapel Hill, N.C., and Christopher Bolton of Silver Spring; a brother, Richard Bolton of Upper Marlboro; and three grandsons.

Doris Elizabeth Harper Scott was active in the civil rights movement.