Book Festival Changes
The venues for two of Fall for the Book events Tuesday have been changed. The literary festival began yesterday and ends Wednesday.
* A reading and discussion of "The Kite Runner" with author Khaled Hosseini at 7:30 p.m. has been moved to George Mason University's Center for the Arts Concert Hall. Tickets and registration are not required; doors open at 6:30.
* A talk by Alexandra Robbins, author of "Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities" and "Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis: Advice from Twentysomethings Who Have Been There and Survived," has been moved to 8 p.m. in Dewberry Hall South.
For information or updates about other events, visit www.fallforthebook.org.
Kids' Concerts Resume
The Jammin' Juniors Concert Series is returning Wednesday to the McLean Central Park gazebo with a concert by singers/entertainers Brooksie and Lucille.
The series of four concerts for preschool children and their parents will continue until Oct. 12.
All concerts are free and begin at 12:30 p.m. The entrance to the park is off the parking lot of the Dolley Madison Library.
* Sept. 28 -- children's music composer and singer Yosi, with a mix of original and traditional songs.
* Oct. 2 -- Singer-songwriter Patricia Shih.
* Oct. 12 -- Milkshake, a musical duo from Baltimore, performing upbeat rock songs and lullabies.
For information, call 703-790-0123 or visit www.mcleancenter.org.
Auction Benefits Baileys
An art auction to benefit Baileys Crossroads community projects has been scheduled for Sept. 24 at Northern Virginia Community College's Ernst Community Cultural Center Forum in Annandale.
The 8 p.m. auction, with a 7 p.m. preview, will include limited-edition lithographs, serigraphs, etchings and oil paintings.
Among the community programs that will benefit from the proceeds are short-term emergency shelters, medical services for the homeless, a new pumper truck for the Baileys Crossroads fire station and the planned construction of a community multicultural center.
Sponsors include the Rotary Clubs of Annandale and Baileys Crossroads, the Baileys Crossroads Community Shelter and the Baileys Crossroads Volunteer Fire Department.
Admission is $15. For ticket information, call 703-820-7621, Ext. 218. The college is at 8333 Little River Tpk. For general information, call 703-731-1032.
Act in 'Velveteen Rabbit'
The Alden Theatre at McLean Community Center will hold auditions for its holiday production of "The Velveteen Rabbit" from 5 to 9 p.m. Sept. 29-30.
There are roles for actors age 12 to adult. The dates of the production are Dec. 9-18.
No experience is necessary, and all roles are open. Those wanting to audition should bring a head-shot or other recent photograph and a brief resume and be prepared to sing an up-tempo musical selection.
The theater is at 1234 Ingleside Ave. For information or to schedule an audition, call 703-790-0123.
-- Compiled by
and STEPHEN C. FEHR