SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. Friday. Regular club square dances. 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. Classes presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
BEGINNER SQUARE DANCING -- 1 p.m. Monday and Sept. 26. Two-week class teaching the basic square dance steps. Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-5423 or 301-870-2015.
AQUA SQUARES OPEN HOUSE -- 7:30 p.m. tomorrow. Demonstrations, beginner dance instructions and refreshments at open houses held by the Aqua Squares Dance Club before classes, which begin Tuesday. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-3587, 410-394-1647 or 301-863-0064.
HURRICANE KATRINA BENEFIT CONCERT -- 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The Newtowne Players and a host of local bands perform in a charity show for Katrina victims. Three Notch Theatre, 21744 S. Coral Dr., Lexington Park. $25, all proceeds to go to the American Red Cross National Disaster Relief Fund. 301-737-5447 or www.newtowneplayers.com.
JAKOB'S NIGHT -- 7 p.m. doors open; 8-10 p.m. show. Tomorrow. The rock show is part of regular music night at the Cup Coffeehouse of the First Baptist Church of La Plata held the first and third Fridays of each month. First Baptist Church of La Plata, 9070 Hawthorne Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-392-1632 or www.fbclaplata.org.
SPINNING SPIDERS -- 10 a.m. Tuesday. Ages 3 to 5 search for spiders and learn how arachnids prepare for colder weather. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. $3 per child; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. To register, call 410-535-5327 or 800-735-2258.
NATURE'S FOOTPRINTS -- 10-10:30 a.m. Saturday. A walk through the forest to find traces of animal life. Ages 2 to 3 can make fossils out of plaster. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE -- 2-3 p.m. Saturday. A family program covering how Native Americans hunted, lived and used natural resources. Participants will hear stories and make traditional crafts. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
PLAY-DOH DAY -- 10:30-11:15 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 2 to 5 can celebrate National Play-Doh Day by working with the modeling compound. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $3 per child. 410-586-1101.
WIGGLES-N-GIGGLES -- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. tomorrow. A learning activity for ages 2 to 5 involving dance, music and games. Kids should wear tennis shoes. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $6 per child. 410-586-1101.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES -- Free program at Charles County Public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program for ages 2-12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's Public Libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For children up to age 2 to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach, 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to prepare to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Sept. 28. Features local artists Gary Jameson's drawings and other works and Colleen Sabo's watercolors. Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Sept. 25. Works by artist Joseph Holston. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, Fine Arts Center, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7828.
ALAN PAGANHARDT -- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday; begins Monday through mid-October. The Drayden artist displays his acrylics in the art gallery space of the Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-863-6693.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. tomorrow through Sunday, through Oct. 9. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7 p.m. today. Robert Bates, English professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland, discusses Flannery O'Connor's novel "Wise Blood." Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturdays and Sundays, through Nov. 30. A corn maze hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
PATUXENT INVITATIONAL MARCHING BAND COMPETITION -- 6 p.m. Sept. 17. Eighth annual competition features high school marching bands from across the state. Rain date is 4:30 p.m. Sept. 20. Panther Field, Patuxent High School, 12485 Rousby Hall Rd., Lusby. $5 for adults; $3 for students. 410-535-7806 or www.patuxentband.org.
NIGHT GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 6:30 p.m., check-in; 7:30 p.m., tee time. Tomorrow. Nine-hole event sponsored by the Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse Inc. and the Calvert County Division of Parks and Recreation. Mellomar Golf Course, 6215 Scaggs Rd., Owings. $35 per person, includes green fees, snacks and beverages. 410-535-1600, Exts. 2227 or 2229.
CLASSIC CAR SHOW AND CRAFT BAZAAR -- 9 a.m. Saturday. 75 to 100 classic cars, trucks and motorcycles will be on display and competing for prizes. Local artisans and crafters will show their work indoors and refreshments will be available. Event is a benefit for Alternatives for Youth and Families. 30049 Business Center Dr., Charlotte Hall. $3 per adult. 410-274-3795, 443-532-1422 or 410-535-3730.
BABY BACK RIBS DINNER -- 5-8 p.m. tomorrow. Meal includes a half-slab of ribs, ranch beans, cole slaw, dinner rolls, coffee and tea, hosted by the Sons of the American Legion Squadron 82. The American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $10 per person. 301-934-8221.
CHAMBER DIVAS CLASSIC -- 1 p.m. Monday. Nine-hole golf tournament for women, organized by the Charles County Chamber of Commerce. Picnic afterward at 5 p.m. Hawthorne Country Club, 8760 Hawthorne Rd., La Plata. $70 per golfer; $260 for four. 301-932-6500 or 301-870-3089.
SUNSET CRUISE AND CRAWL -- 7-10 p.m. Saturday; participants should meet at least 15 minutes before departure. The area's Jimmy Buffett fan club, Southern Maryland Parrot Head Club, holds a cruise along the Patuxent River for an evening of tropical music and historical narration aboard the Wm. B. Tennison. Proceeds benefit the Parrot Head Club's Memory Walk for the Southern Maryland Alzheimer's Association. $35 per person; must be at least 21. Passengers may bring their own coolers. Calvert Marine Museum, Route 2/4, Solomons. 301-737-7708 or 410-474-2958.
SENIOR CITIZENS DAY -- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. today. Outdoor event with morning refreshments, museum tours, bingo games and door prizes. St. Clement's Island Potomac River Museum, 38370 Point Breeze Rd., Coltons Point. Free. 301-769-2222.
ST. MARY'S COUNTY FAIR -- 3-9 p.m. next Thursday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 23-25. County life and rural heritage on display with home art, 4-H exhibits, contests, entertainment and regional food. St. Mary's County Fairgrounds, Fairgrounds Road and Route 5, Leonardtown. $5 for adults; $1 for children ages 12 to 16. 301-475-8434 or www.somd.com/smcfair.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Theater, shopping trips and cruises. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Sunday. A trip to the annual Polish American Festival at Our Lady of Czestochowa Shrine in Doylestown, Pa. Includes transportation, festival admission and driver gratuity. $50.
* Sept. 24. A trip to Frederick and Emmitsburg for the Saints and Sinners Tour. Includes transportation, dinner, show and driver gratuity. $90.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 24. Nanjemoy Heritage Day. Seeking artists and exhibitors with Nanjemoy local history and culture. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639, Ext. 11.
* 9-10 a.m. Sept. 24. 2005 Home Business Trade Fair. Seeking home-based business to put on displays to offer solutions to those looking to start a home business. $5 per space. 301-932-6679 or 301-934-9029.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.